.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Final Newbie Question (or compilation of questions!)

Thank you!
I'll try to keep this short and to the point:
- WHy does "shroud" help old warlocks?
- What are the chances of Growth scales not giving old-age afflictions? Does that help a lot?
- So being unconscious doesnt actually drop your defense and attack to 0 like if you are paralyzed?
- Will growth scales counteract LA Ryleh population kill?
- Gave my warlocks a Dwarven Hammer, but still use 100% of slaves in forging. Does blood not count in forge bonus or are warlocks bugged?
- I gave my Abysian Assassin two Fire Bolas, but he didnt seem to use even one of them, just stood there and got killed. Can you not dual-wield single-handed weapons?
- I see a lot of units with darkvision. Is that ever actually useful?

THank you!
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Q WHy does "shroud" help old warlocks?
A If you have a nature bless and put a shroud on a diseased unit, hit point loss will stabilise. It won’t prevent disease or other subsequent afflictions
Q What are the chances of Growth scales not giving old-age afflictions? Does that help a lot?
A Quite a lot, not sure specifically. My feel is maybe you get 1/3rd the afflictions (with growth 3), just a guess
Q So being unconscious doesnt actually drop your defense and attack to 0 like if you are paralyzed?
A Unsure
Q Will growth scales counteract LA Ryleh population kill?
A No – they will help some, but the dom kill domains are stronger than growth/death scales
Q Gave my warlocks a Dwarven Hammer, but still use 100% of slaves in forging. Does blood not count in forge bonus or are warlocks bugged?
A Soul Contracts and Lifelong Protection get no bonus from hammers, other blood items do
Q I gave my Abysian Assassin two Fire Bolas, but he didnt seem to use even one of them, just stood there and got killed. Can you not dual-wield single-handed weapons?
A What script did he have?
Q I see a lot of units with darkvision. Is that ever actually useful?
A Yes, when you or someone else casts Darkness, of if the Utterdark global is active
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragar For This Useful Post:
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
So being unconscious doesnt actually drop your defense and attack to 0 like if you are paralyzed?
- I gave my Abysian Assassin two Fire Bolas, but he didnt seem to use even one of them, just stood there and got killed. Can you not dual-wield single-handed weapons?
Being unconscious or paralysed is worse than having 0 attack as you don't attack at all. 0 attack can still hit if you're lucky.
Fire bolas are ranged weapons. I'm not sure you can use two ranged weapons at once. It's quite normal that assassin won't move with ranged weapons, but he should throw it.
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:58 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Double fire bolas work. Their range is pretty short though, dependent on strength.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Corporal

Thank you, thank you!
- OK it was a lifelong protection, good to know. I suppose no forge bonus makes sense. Would the Forge Lord also get none there if he had Blood to forge it?
- My fire bolas were definately not working. I scripted him to "fire". I am pretty sure my little assassin didn't do anything at all but try to get closer. I saw a fire bola work in the same game (my opponent, the Japanese-sounding fellows, had equipped some Generals, I think, with some -- errr actually, come to think of it, I think he got a fire bola off my assassin who didnt scratch him!!), there is a little animation and a fire thingy flies off. Next time I will try only one fire bola?
- So having a Nature Bless helps vs. Old Age afflictions -- will that also work for Old Aged Sacred people just researching (like Pythium) if they have nature bless?
Thanks so much again
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:21 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Nature bless doesn't directly help against Old Age afflictions. What it does is give regeneration which stops hit point loss due to disease. This does not work on sacred units unless you send them into combat & bless them at which point even diseased units will regenerate up to full. Putting a shroud on makes a unit blessed all the time, thus giving them regen outside of battle and stopping hp loss from disease. Putting a regeneration ring on them would do the same thing, but is more expensive.

Again, a better approach for blood nations is Boots of Youth, which stops aging and prevents old age afflictions in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejeff For This Useful Post:
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Nature bless helps against diseases by healing your unit's hp and thus preventing it from dying. You need a shroud of the battle saint (or be a prophet) or actually participate in a fight to get the benefits.
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Corporal

Thank you all very much so far. GOod stuff! I am back for more!

1. I had a mage cast Call of the Winds in a distant province X. Same turn, I commanded three small sneaky armies to combine forces and attack that province X. One army was in X that turn, 2 armies moved to X from adjacent enemy provs that turn -- at least I think that's the case. What surprises me and what I dont understand is this: There were TWO battles. First, a "magic" battle -- but one of my sneaky armies joined in! Then, later, near the end of the turn, there was another battle, where the two sneaky armies that did not join the first one did battle. Help! I dont get it. I would understand it if (a) ONLY the hawks fought, then all three of my sneakers would fight, or (b) ALL of the armies plus the hawks would fight (what I was hoping for -- I had never tried this before!). But sadly, c was the result, and I dont know why. Can anyone explain?

2. Can anyone tell me what settings are kind of "standard" for MP games? I would like to get used to them. For this reason, I currently play SP with CBM and Better Independents Mod, hoping that is "standard". And I turn Renaming On. (Why is Off default? Cant imagine playing wthiout it.) What else is standard? Do people leave gold, resoruce, magic and research settings alone? What about independent strength? Are score graphs left on or turned off? THANK YOU.

Darn I had a lot more questions saved but I forgot them -- ill be back!
thank you
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

1) Sneakers attacking the province they're in will join magic phase attacks? And other sneakers won't?
I'm not sure of this, but it matches some behavior I've seen

2) CBM is standard these days. I don't think Better Independents is, but that's mostly to keep the AI from buying too many worthless chaff troops, so it wouldn't really affect MP too much.
Big games often make research harder. Renaming is on. Gold & resources usually are default. Magic sometimes goes up a bit, particularly in the later ages. Default indy strength is most common. Score graphs go both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejeff For This Useful Post:
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

The jeff is right about sneakers. If they attack the province they are IN (not an adjacent province) one of two things will happen:

1) A friendly magic attack happens that turn. The sneakers join the magic battle.

2) No magic attacks. The sneakers attack during normal battle phase (with other allied forces if there are any).

3) There is a non-friendly (neutral or enemy) magic attack. This situation is a bit sketchy (search for ghost riders+scouts for the full details), but it appears the sneaking attackers will join in the magic battle phase and attack with their own battle (before or after the magic armies). This is not generally a worry unless one or both sides are casting lots of remote attack spells (especially the summon neutral attack ones).

A final point, defending sneakers are not affected by any of this. They are always either defending/patrolling (and then are treated just like any other defender) or hiding (and then they do not fight at all).
The Following User Says Thank You to Fate For This Useful Post: