World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 24th, 2004, 10:59 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [OT] - Gig!

Quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
preaching to the converted- SE4 players are ppl who appreciate quality gameplay over flashy graphics (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with flashy graphics) so it stands to reason they will be ppl who appreciate story/quality/comedy/content over special effects in films (not that special effects in films are necessarily a bad thing.)

The biggest problem with old films is the culture gap- old language, attitudes, ways of life- some of these things do not always translate well into the modern age.
Said very well!
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Corporal

freduk is on a distinguished road

I'm off to a 3 day gig to see some of the following Groups:

Action In DC
After Forever
Agnostic Front
Anathema
Anthrax
Backfire
Blood For Blood
Brides of Destruction
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Circle II Circle
Cooper, Alice
Cowboys And Aliens
Cradle Of Filth
Death Angel
Destruction
Dillinger Escape Plan
Dimmu Borgir
Discipline
Do or Die
Dying Fetus
Epica
Evergrey
Exodus
Fear Factory
Hatebreed
Hypocrisy
Iced Earth
Ignite
Ill Niño
In Extremo
Jackson United
Judas Priest
Killswitch Engage
Life Of Agony
Malevolent Creation
Morbid Angel
Motörhead
My Dying Bride
Oomph!
Pleymo
Queensryche
Saxon
Scarve
Seven Witches
Shadows Fall
Slipknot
Soulfly
Suffocation
Terror
Testament
Therion

There's a lot of those festivals in the summer in europe, always a lot of fun with some other 30000 idiots. I leave in 3,5 hours, but still need to sleep
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:03 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slynky:

BTW, I need to look up one song of his that used to be the "wake-up" song on one of the radio channels here.
I know nothing about James Brown, but what little I know is doesn't he have a song called "Get up" or similar. That would seem to be a god bet.
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Randallw:
quote:

BTW, I need to look up one song of his that used to be the "wake-up" song on one of the radio channels here.
I know nothing about James Brown, but what little I know is doesn't he have a song called "Get up" or similar. That would seem to be a god bet.
Hope I have the right singer but some of the words were something about "shouting" or "make you shout". Maybe it was Little Richard.
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
preaching to the converted- SE4 players are ppl who appreciate quality gameplay over flashy graphics (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with flashy graphics) so it stands to reason they will be ppl who appreciate story/quality/comedy/content over special effects in films (not that special effects in films are necessarily a bad thing.)

The biggest problem with old films is the culture gap- old language, attitudes, ways of life- some of these things do not always translate well into the modern age.
Said very well!
I suppose that's all too true. I can't even get my son to watch the old sitcoms that come on TV Land. Shows that I grew up watching, such as Andy Griffth, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Green Acres, etc. If they can't interest a 3 year old, I can imagine the lack of appeal for something like High Noon, King Kong, or Psycho.
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:05 PM

General

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Randallw:
quote:

Hope I have the right singer but some of the words were something about "shouting" or "make you shout". Maybe it was Little Richard.

Well, I satisfied my curiosity and found the song I mistook for one of James Brown's. It's called, "Shout", and the Version that was most famous was recorded by Otis Day and the Knights for the movie, "Animal House". The lyrics are here.
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:09 PM

General

I hear ya, Greg! WIfe and I purchased a boxed set of the "Little Rascals". One day, the kids didn't have anything to watch and we offered that up. Only took them 5 minutes to be knocking on the bedroom door...

"Mommy, it's not in color!"

So much for that. Sheesh!

(not that the Little Rascals is something great that shouldn't be missed but...)
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hear ya, Greg! WIfe and I purchased a boxed set of the "Little Rascals". One day, the kids didn't have anything to watch and we offered that up. Only took them 5 minutes to be knocking on the bedroom door...

"Mommy, it's not in color!"

So much for that. Sheesh!

(not that the Little Rascals is something great that shouldn't be missed but...)
I remember watching the Little Rascals/Our Gang. You're right. They weren't so great that I have ever see them again. Heck, most of them are dead anyway, except for Robert Blake. Now, the Three Stooges, I could watch again. I was burned out on them for years, but recently have been watching them periodically, and still get a chuckle or two from them. I'm sure my son wouldn't like it, though. Although I am surprised by his insistance the other day on watching The Wizard of Oz. He wanted to watch it, and I let him, and he did watch it. I think he's seen it 2 or 3 times now, but there must be something about that movie that appeals to the young at heart. I still enjoy watching it too, even if there is an occassional blasphemous thought of how George Lucas and ILM could redo the special effects.