.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Repair Points to Support Points

If repair points are converted to support points, does that increase the number of points available to the AI for unit purchases as well?

My latest delays have effectively been regiment strength attacks against my battalion. I'm winning them, but am getting tired of enduring 15 troops of 25pdrs hitting me almost every turn when all I have to reply with is nine 81mm mortars. When 60 25pdrs fire, something is going to die. I'm thinking of burning some of my repair points so I can get a little more artillery support. The 500 support points I get go to 50mm ATGs and MG-34s.

Even if the AI benefits from my burning of repair points also, it might be worth it to round out my delay force. I just want to know in advanced if the attacking regiment is going to turn into a reinforced regiment.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Repair Points to Support Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
If repair points are converted to support points, does that increase the number of points available to the AI for unit purchases as well?
Well - of course it does, if you spend the points you just converted on support troops. (If you don't you just lose them).

(Current value of Core + Support troops cost) * Battle type multiplier => Player 2's points allocation.

Andy
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Well - of course it does, if you spend the points you just converted on support troops. (If you don't you just lose them).

(Current value of Core + Support troops cost) * Battle type multiplier => Player 2's points allocation.

Andy
Not a problem. Programmatically, it would have been possible to exclude the converted points and I just wanted to see if that's what happened. It's easier to ask than total up all the unit values at the end of the battle to figure out how it all panned out.

Thanks!!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Repair Points to Support Points

Sounds like you need to be asking DIV for Arty Support (IE SPEND THE POINTS) Ask for some 17cm or above and even if you use them sparingly you should get some Counterbattery Action going. I've found if nothing else this throws the AI's arty off. (Maybe) It's my imagination but it seems to work for me.

Another solution is to ask for more 10.5cm Batteries and lambaste his rear area and or suspected FO/Spotting positions, this has been known to work as well; suppressing the heck out of these guys has the same effect on his artillery.

Bear in mind to afford your Arty Spotter protection as well. Sometimes, it's better to have a safe FO than one who can see everything. This is especially true in Campaigns as your FO gain experience as well; if they are dead or suppressed NOT so much.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM

Captain

A combination of mobile defense, onboard fire support and air support worked. ATGs, MGs and scouts were on the defensive line, while two SS companies, one tank company and two sections of truck mounted 88s remained mobile. The scouts and MGs pushed forward while the ATG line stood in over watch. While artillery and air strikes only accounted for about six armor kills out of 157, it caused infantry to dismount and walk a long distance.

The defensive line took a pounding, but the mobile force fared pretty well. The only casualties the SS companies took were due to artillery. Some random barrages hit one of my concentration points and nailed three loaded half-tracks. All 17 tanks and six truck mounted 88s survived as well.

Even if the AI did get extra points to spend from my repair point conversion, it felt good to be able to shoot back
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post
A combination of mobile defense, onboard fire support and air support worked. ATGs, MGs and scouts were on the defensive line, while two SS companies, one tank company and two sections of truck mounted 88s remained mobile. The scouts and MGs pushed forward while the ATG line stood in over watch. While artillery and air strikes only accounted for about six armor kills out of 157, it caused infantry to dismount and walk a long distance.

The defensive line took a pounding, but the mobile force fared pretty well. The only casualties the SS companies took were due to artillery. Some random barrages hit one of my concentration points and nailed three loaded half-tracks. All 17 tanks and six truck mounted 88s survived as well.

Even if the AI did get extra points to spend from my repair point conversion, it felt good to be able to shoot back
Halftracks?Those toys cost you a lot of points, that's why the enemy gets sooo many points to buy arty with, don't buy so many of these
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Halftracks?Those toys cost you a lot of points, that's why the enemy gets sooo many points to buy arty with, don't buy so many of these
I have to admit that they are pricey, but the come in real handy when dealing with infantry. Pull up close but not next to them, pepper them with the MG-34 on board and if they are nicely suppressed, dismount and nail them with infantry. Works very well. It also helps get them around faster. The whole battalion can quickly get to the enemy rear area this way. Take some objectives and suddenly the enemy comes out of their holes and starts attacking at a disadvantage.

Trucks don't work. Too easy to kill. Carrying the troops on tanks isn't all that great either. Tank gets hit and the troops dismount and have a fairly high suppression as well. Most of the time, they don't jump out of the half-tracks when they are hit. The disadvantage to the half-tracks, aside from the cost, is kill it and almost always the occupants die too.

More than anything, it's a tactical preference.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Repair Points to Support Points

IIRC This is a Campaign you are in as well? So you've likely converted any inital trucks to SdKfz 251's, I ceratinly would have for the same reason's. HT's must be used carefully, so knowing when to kick everybody out or when to risk them is a handy talent.

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM

Captain

Yep, I'm running a campaign right now and I did switch from trucks. My current battle has my tracks parked in the rear while the infantry is deployed up front. The battle is a delay with high visibility and nothing to hide behind. I figure they make a handy reserve once the enemy tanks are all basically destroyed.

Generally, the tracks park on defends and delays, meeting engagements and advances are terrain dependent and my troops are always mounted during assaults. During assaults, support troops act as my breach force and my whole core moves through the hole and into the rear.