This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Galactica Series

Somebody mentioned the voice over opening... If I recall, Olmos gave a good portion of this in the rousing finale speech at the end of the miniseries.

Which I would take as a nod to the prior show.

Everybody needs to remember just how bad some of our favorite shows are when they first start. In case you forget, watch the first few episodes of ST:TNG. Their sets are horrible.
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

That's because the TNG sets were supposed to be used in a show during the 80's called "Star Trek Phase II" which would star most of the original cast and crew except with a new vulcan and some ugly arsed helmsman. That series was cancled and the set was left waiting while they shot ST The Motion Picture and the rest of the movie series, during the late 80's they decided it was time for another Trek and used the uniforms and Written scripts of "Phase II" and placed the TNG crew in the roles instead. And if the first set's and episodes are any hint as to what "Phase II" was gonna be let's be glad they cancled it before it was launched

As to BSG Yeah I do like the fact that they keep a running talley of how many people are left, I mean Voyager they had a crew of 150 roughly plus 20 Maqui, they apparently lost about 30-40 during the first few seasons where they took some pretty heavy beatings by the Kazon, later they got pLastered by the Borg which should have killed more yet didn't?

Anyway I like the new BSG because of the fact that they have very "modern" sets and nothing overly futuristic where it would just be pathetic AND THANK YOU The Galactica is a warship NOT A PLEASURE CRUISER it has tight corridors and no frills, what was up with Star Trek and giving everyone wide open spaces and frills? Maybe that is why when their shields go down they explode, no room for armor with all those perks LOL.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Private

larrybush is on a distinguished road

Actually I was suprised that is not too bad. The vipers launch silently, they tried to use Newtonian physics (more or less) there wasn't too much noise in space and banking turns (stuff that makes me turn it off quick!)There was some stuff that was goofy, but the acting was pretty good and the dialog was pretty good. I'll just see how long it takes for me to stop watching it...HA-HA-- I haven't watched a series(any series)since Bab 5. Notice the weapons were all missiles or some form of projectiles, no beam weapons. I think the Battlestar Galactica should retrofit some missile launch tubes too, Vipers and point defense may not serve the rag tag fleet for long.
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Just looked at the trailers and I must say I'm impressed.
Looks like they made quite a lot of changes moving series from space soap opera it was then (by today's standards) into space survival struggle. It really looks good and far more believable.

I remember the first episodes of old BSG and watching the destruction of 12 colonies back then had nowhere near that "catastrophic" feeling to it as it does now only looking at trailers! I'm really looking forward to this series.
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Yeah the original BSG was lame because 12 colonies and the entire colonial fleet were destroyed by a few fighters, yet the cylons could not bring down ONE BATTLESTAR! and a rag tag fleet of unarmed civilian targets (I mean ships).

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road

I think the new series looks great! It manages to be serious without going overboard. There were several converstaions I was particularly impressed with and I think the relationship between adama and the president is played out well. I was partiucarly impressed with the conversation about police/military roles conversation and Adamas speech to his son about living with your decisions.

I think the show is a lot more reall feeling then the originall. And for a pilot episode, 33 was incredible.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

If anyone who hasn't seen it, it is on in the US at 1500 EST on SciFi - the miniseries. Today.
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

mac its great.

good eyecandy starbucks

i like the look and feel of it as well , just finished watching the 33 one...

I like it.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

I was a big fan of the original series (cuz I was like 12 years old and Apollo was my hero) and I think they did a nice job of keeping just enough of the old to validate using the name, but then reworking it into quality modern TV. There's too much good TV out there to watch these Last 2 years (ie: the CSI shows, Law and Order, Stargate, House, etc.). Just plain old good writing, and I think this series, if allowed to mature, will be better TV than Babylon 5 was.

Speaking of B5, I've noticed a lot of the CGI pioneered by that series on this new BSG. And that's cool.

My $0.02
Turin[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Actually, his speech at the end of the miniseries would be a nice opener with some editing. I didn't even think about it.

Voyager's cloning vats... I was amazed that so many people existed on a ship with a crew of 150-170 people. Maybe the doctor was planning to go into pLastic surgery when they got home.... Can you imagine going into sickbay and waking up as someone else. Differnt face, gender, race, species, etc. That Doctor needs to be investigated...

The sets for TNG actually did not originate from Phase II. Those sets were torn down and used for other films prior to TNG's green-light. They later built new sets for the feature films that were redressed for the tv series. Only the cooridors, sickbay, battle bridge, and turbolifts survived to TNG.

Does anyone recall Babylon 5's early season? Before they added bracing to the back of the set walls? I recall one scene where the station was hit and an extra missed his cue to tumble and hit the wall in the background. The Monitor in the wall shifted back an inch and the whole wall shook from crew member hitting it.

back to BSG,
I think at the end of "Water" They were down to 45,000 and change. considering they started with 50,000... ouch.

But I see the galactica really as something like the Carrier Enterprise (cv-65) when put up against the rest of the carrier fleet of the US. She's the old girl, over-due for refit and retirement, of the entire fleet right now.