This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Private

stecal is on a distinguished road
Default Intell defense projects help

I am am getting beatup by intell attacks in a PBW game of mine by 4 other players. All of my defense projects have been stripped of their acculmulated points by now and nearly all attacks slip thru now. I have about 20K points of intell per turn. Would I be better off by having 8 -12 defense projects getting 2k points each or concentrating all my points in 1-2 projects in hope of stopping at least 1 or 2 attacks?
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Intell defense projects help

Quote:
Originally posted by stecal:
I am am getting beatup by intell attacks in a PBW game of mine by 4 other players. All of my defense projects have been stripped of their acculmulated points by now and nearly all attacks slip thru now. I have about 20K points of intell per turn. Would I be better off by having 8 -12 defense projects getting 2k points each or concentrating all my points in 1-2 projects in hope of stopping at least 1 or 2 attacks?
This makes no difference. All your defensive points, whether in 1 project or many are used to defend.

What will help is to research higher levels of Applied Intel. Level CI 2 and CI 3 offer more protection than CI 1.

From the Newbie FAQ (good to read):

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=23;t=005518

10.1 Intelligence
10.1.2 Of all intelligence projects only puppet political parties has a chance to fail independent of counter intel.
10.1.3 Stolen tech reports (via intel ops) don’t show up under the race:tech tab. Only what is seen in combat shows under race:tech. Since you don’t officially “know” about stuff until it is listed in race:tech, this makes it impossible to target intelligence ops to get them until after combat. bug reported to MM.
10.1.4 Defensive intelligence gets a 120% bonus. i.e. 100 points of counter intelligence cancels 120 points of intel. (settings.txt)
10.1.5 Counterintelligence (CI) points are drawn from points stored in CI projects. If a CI project is allowed to complete, all the accumulated CI points in that project disappear. (Quikngruvn) So it is in your best interest to never let a CI project complete since all the points invested in it get lost.
10.1.6 If you have multiple CI projects, points are “drained” from the project furthest on the right and then move progressively left until all CI is expended. The game does not distinguish points stored in 1 project from another except with regard to bonuses for different levels.
10.1.7 CI projects get a 20% bonus and higher levels of CI projects get a multiplier as follows. 1000 points put into CI projects yield: 1000 x 120% (defense bonus) = 1200 defensive points.
CI1: 1200 x 1 = 1200
CI2: 1200 x 2 = 2400
CI3: 1200 x 3 = 3600 (Suicide Junkie)

Slick.
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to make it explicit, you do not have to be spending points in a CI project in a turn for the points stored in any CI projects to be used for defense during that turn. I do not know when this was changed, but one of the more recent patches (I think a Gold one) changed this from how it was before, where not having any points going into a CI project in a turn made all the CI projects unavailable for defense.

[ March 06, 2003, 17:55: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Major General

Ruatha is on a distinguished road

Wow Fyron that was good news.
I've always had my projects running out eventually. Now I don't need to let that happen do I!
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:59 PM

Captain

Grandpa Kim is on a distinguished road

Since all attacks are getting through anyway, maybe you could forget defense and just go on offense with intel.

http://se4-gaming.net/
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:05 AM

Private

stecal is on a distinguished road

I had thought of offensive intell just to make them waste points on defense. Mostly I just ignore the 3-4 ship mutinies and carry on.

Thanks for the help