Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 19th, 2003, 10:05 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thoughts on future of Intel

Quote:
Does anyone know if intell is hard coded to 12 projects max or there a setting somewhere?
Hard-coded, same as research.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old March 19th, 2003, 10:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would like to see the spying and intelligence gathering separated from the sabotage and espionage projects.
Umm... spying and intelligence gathering is what espionage is.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:27 PM

Private

stecal is on a distinguished road

Espionage being defined as stealing tech or something vs raw knowledge gathering of spying.
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

But espionage is defined as:

the practice of spying or using spies to obtain information about the plans and activities especially of a foreign government or a competing company
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:53 PM

Private

Foiden is on a distinguished road

Spy empires IV: Spy it Out.

The big mod that makes Spying the ONLY part of the game. Military Power? nah. Planets with people who perform research for the main purpose of it being leaked by someone is the big part of the population. Ships can destroy ships, but the only way to attack a planet is to "spy it out".
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:56 PM

Private

stecal is on a distinguished road

Ok, you win on espionage, but sabotage is all about shoes!
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by stecal:
Ok, you win on espionage, but sabotage is all about shoes!
That would be the etymology, sure. But, there are many more things that qualify as sabotage than just shoes being thrown into gears.
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Corporal

Hotfoot is on a distinguished road

Actually, having Intel be more like the current ship-building system could be a viable alternative. Maybe even making research similar could be interesting (but that's another subject for another pondering).

Each Intelligence project would be like a ship design, in that you would decide what resources would be used into generating it. Would it be a lone spy with a hefty amount of financial and technological support (a la James Bond), or would it be like the Soviet method of three agents, each reporting on the other to ensure loyalty (and thus a much lesser chance of the agents being subverted by enemy counter-intelligence). What special rights do they have as spies (or counter-intelligence, for that matter). Some components for a project could adversely effect planetary, system, or empire-wide happiness levels in exchange for greater security of intelligence projects and against enemy intelligence projects. Some could even have negative effects on trade relations with other empires.

Ultimately, the intelligence of the empire would be a constant drain on the resources of the empire, rather than just a one-time cost. Also, each intelligence compound could only have a limited "sphere of influence". While individual components of a project might be able to increase the operation range of any project, there would be some sort of limitation on range. Barring that, at least have reliability decrease with range, or have it increase with proximity. It will be much easier to gain reliable intelligence on something closer to you than something farther away.

Intelligence compounds could still produce intelligence points, but these could be more akin to available agency personnel, rather than an arbitrary number. You would still need to fund the costs with minerals, organics, and radioactives (though it would be nice to have a nice catch-all "credits" as well, and have each resource have various market values or something).

The only real limit to any project would be the number of personnel you could use to put it together. Each personnel "point" would be a cost in a component of the project in addition to the mineral, organic, and radioactives (and maybe credits) cost of the project. If there are multiple compounds in the same system, you could potentially "borrow" personnel in order to increase project size (say, for a system-wide counterintelligence project). Using personnel from other systems would require a reduced rate to represent the difficulties of managing an interstellar intelligence network.

As for the construction of such projects, here is how I see it potentially working:

Each project would have an objective. This would be akin to the bridge/crew quarters/life support requirement. Possible objectives would include desired result, target, and methods used to obtain the objective. For example, steal a [random] technology from the Eee by Bribery and Subterfuge. Bribery would be potentially expensive, and you could put limits on how much your spies are allowed to spend on bribes, so that they don't bankrupt your empire getting you some worthless tech.

Also, like ships, each turn they would have an upkeep cost that you would need to pay, based on the components you used to construct the project. So having monstrous intel projects would be cost-prohibative for an empire that didn't have at least a decent income, though obviously cheaper than a massive fleet of ships.

As far as counter-intelligence is concerned, the same would be applicable. Desired outcome would be to catch or thwart anyone spying on you, either by tightening your security up and/or by feeding massive amounts of false information to enemy agents. You could also conduct assassinations of enemy intelligence operatives, either "passively" against those within your own territory, or actively attempting to hunt down the agents of a specific empire (or at least locating them so that you can glass the planet that they're working on). Death of your agents will, naturally, reduce your number of intelligence points. You could construct your projects to be somewhat redundant in this regard (essentially having "armor", to continue with the ship analogy), but after a time, you will need to replace your personnel.

Now, how would one do this? Well, I'm glad that you asked.

Recruitment centers. Recruitment centers for Intelligence, Research, Military, heck, even miners, engineers, traders, and so on. I'm not suggesting that we keep track of each person in your empire, but having recruitment centers on a planet would help towards a more realistic game, and really wouldn't add a whole lot of micromanagement. Just have each recruitment center be able to recruit a certain number (or percentage) of a planet's population into one of X many job pools (Construction Worker, Miner, Trader, Farmer, Research, Teacher, Space Force, Army, Intelligence, Entertainment, etc.) Each planet would have a certain number of each type, which could be shared evenly within a system. So you could shuffle a large number of miners to a mineral rich rock you've found, and so on. As your race reproduces, the youngsters will need to decide what career they would want to have, so the recruitment centers on a planet could gradually shift the balance to what you need more of. Also, populations could change jobs, so if you ran a draft, say, you could convert X non-military population into space force and army positions. You could also offer benefits to certain job types (Researchers, Teachers), taking a financial loss and turning it into a gain elsewhere.

Of course, people tend to go where the jobs are, so it should do little good to have recruitment centers when you have a surplus of possible applicants (sort of like having a total population cap on planets). As you improve your facilities, the number of jobs they can offer (and thus the number of population working at said facilities) should increase.

Best of all, if you know your enemy has one system which is a major source of their intelligence efforts, or maybe just one planet close to you which is pulling off a seriously damaging project, you can send it a fleet, attack the planet the project is on, and destroy the project itself (plus the people working on it). Think of it Hitler had bombed Benchley Park, and thus all the people working on decrypting engima and such. It could have been disasterous for the Allied Intelligence.

Now, as for time scale. As it is, intel projects take time to complete, based on the same idea as research. This is unrealistic. Instead, the projects would take time to be constructed. This would represent getting all the available resources into place, inserting agents, covert communication lines, and so on. Once a project is completed, it continues operation every turn until it is cancelled or destroyed. Different types of projects could potentially lose multiple personnel per turn, and thus be costly to have running constantly. Putting projects on hold would help stop the costs for a time (esentially similar to mothballing the project), but not prevent counter-intelligence retribution entirely, just as mothballed ships can still be destroyed in combat. The difference, however, would be that while on hold, the intelligence project would still tie up personnel (though you could go and "retrofit" the project dynamically so that you could regain some personnel for other projects if you so desired). The only way to completely regain all of your personell would be to scrap the project and make a whole new one.

Also, as successes increase, individual projects/personnel/facilities gain experience. Over time, there would be a gradual degradation of experience, representing older agents retiring and removing their experience from the availible pool, and new recruits joining to take their place (not the same as recruitment), or institutions losing effectiveness over time. If agents are lost, their experience is lost as well, and they would be replaced by a new recruit. The same system could be used for fleet experience, and even fighter/ground troop experience.

Anyway, that's my idea, and how I'd like to see intel, among other things, handled in SEV.
Plus, I think that it's somewhat workable even within SEIV with just a few (relatively minor in theory, but probably huge in practice) changes to the game.

Comments and/or suggestions are welcomed, of course.

[ March 20, 2003, 02:22: Message edited by: Hotfoot ]
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with pretty much everything that has been said here.

I would also like to see a major system for counter intel as well. A system that allows a player to focus on CI as equally or more than Intel.
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Colonel

Taera is on a distinguished road

wow that was fast
Klaus - in fact it is your letter to SE mailing list that inspired me for that thread.

Interesting thoughts, but i have to say that i dont see individual "leaders" coming into play at SE. And i dont realy want to. I prefer realism over eyecandy and if you think about it, what can a single operative do after all?

Espionage and sabotage should most surely be separated. Espionage is not agression and is quite difficult to stop.

I know i might regret it but what about introducing "espionage units" into the game? Not like in Sid Meier's games though - when you start a project you produce a "spy boat" with this particular mission which you then have to bring to the destination. They are invisible save for, say, 2 sector view from specialized facilities on planets and other "spy boats".

And PPP is crap, how can you run a political party on bloodthirsty anarchic machines? Or on hiveminds? and so on. Same with Crew [whatever].