.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA DarkHeavens (Game on!)

So, why did it just host? Were we supposed to submit turns? I sure didn't put one in. We need an update on what is going on.
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Sergeant

Revolution is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
I just got a message that DarkHeavens is Hosting in about 2 hours....

I must say I am not very pleased with the way this has been handled,

I know llama did all he could and maybe got it fixed but I asked last night what you meant Torin by your short Blurb.

I know you don't check the forum often but in this case I have NO IDEA what turn is to be done and even IF it is fixed.

I am not going to do this turn as I have no idea if its turn 58 or turn 59.

We can either just set it back when it hosts (as I have NO TIME to get it in anyway now), Or I am just going to set it AI as I have grown weary of trying to keep up with all this.

I am not mad at anyone and I am sorry if it unbalances the game, but I refuse to try and get turns in when there is no information, and no response when I try and be proactive .

I checked the Forumn at 5 AM CST USA time and there was no response to my question.

I get home at 1 PM CST and find out I have about 2 hours to complete a 4 hour turn and don't even know which turn it is. Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going by the fact that everyone staled this last turn (with the exception of myself...I happened to wake up an hour before hosting and got a quickly put together turn in) I'd say that Torin probably had no idea it was going to host either. He was probably waiting for llamabeast to say if he had fixed the problem/discovered what was making our game not work. Either way, with essentially 3 stale turns in a row for everyone I'm not sure how salvageable this game is...it's unfortunate because it was a pretty cool game and was heading into the endgame without a clear cut leader in power. (well maybe ulm but it really seemed like it was anyones game)
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

When I fix it I will go back in time and try to avoid the first crash. So there is no need to take any notice of any hosting going on now.

It's just very hard to find time... I have to send a chapter off this evening, I'm VERY tired and I am going away for a few days first thing in the morning. I'll see what I can do though...

Edit: Apologies for silly post! I don't mind trying to fix it at all, though it is tricky to find the time since I am fairly rarely both awake and at home right now.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs

Last edited by llamabeast; June 12th, 2009 at 06:24 PM..
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Revolution. The Dynamics of this game along with the ever shifting alliances made this one game that was heading for a BRAWL.

It was balanced on a pinhead with the various nations just waiting to see the outcome of a couple of wars and then join in and gobble up a third party.

Its like a Chess game that is very exciting and you are already planning your fith move and you have to leave for 2 weeks. When you get back the pieces are still in the same place, but the board loks somehow different and you have to try and reconstuct what you where planning along with the mydriad of countermoves that are/where available.

I'm sorry, but MY mind works in 'layers' and if you remove me from those layers I won't be able to see them agian even with notes.

Llama has twice said he is VERY busy and with all the man does for this site I think we should respect that.

Good game to all of us...NO, Excellent game to all of us that where still left,

We tried and where patiant but the circumstances are now that it is a flawed victory.

If you want to name a victor, go ahead as I will abstain.

You all know mw and I rarly if ever go AI or quit a game, but this time with Llama so busy I think we do ourselves, this site and llama an injustice if we try and continue on. So I am formally retiring from the game.

Bigdisawesome, I am sorry as you where the clear leader at the time and played very well, but this game was far from over and with the players left it (not including myself since Tyrant laughed at my Horror harmonica attack (sigh))was not a given win Revolution was going to wade in and on which side.

Thanks for all the things I learned and the the questions answered.

See ya all in the next one!!!!!!!!!!!

Grudge
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Sergeant

Revolution is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
I agree with Revolution. The Dynamics of this game along with the ever shifting alliances made this one game that was heading for a BRAWL.

It was balanced on a pinhead with the various nations just waiting to see the outcome of a couple of wars and then join in and gobble up a third party.

Its like a Chess game that is very exciting and you are already planning your fith move and you have to leave for 2 weeks. When you get back the pieces are still in the same place, but the board loks somehow different and you have to try and reconstuct what you where planning along with the mydriad of countermoves that are/where available.

I'm sorry, but MY mind works in 'layers' and if you remove me from those layers I won't be able to see them agian even with notes.

Llama has twice said he is VERY busy and with all the man does for this site I think we should respect that.

Good game to all of us...NO, Excellent game to all of us that where still left,

We tried and where patiant but the circumstances are now that it is a flawed victory.

If you want to name a victor, go ahead as I will abstain.

You all know mw and I rarly if ever go AI or quit a game, but this time with Llama so busy I think we do ourselves, this site and llama an injustice if we try and continue on. So I am formally retiring from the game.

Bigdisawesome, I am sorry as you where the clear leader at the time and played very well, but this game was far from over and with the players left it (not including myself since Tyrant laughed at my Horror harmonica attack (sigh))was not a given win Revolution was going to wade in and on which side.

Thanks for all the things I learned and the the questions answered.

See ya all in the next one!!!!!!!!!!!

Grudge
Lets just wait and see what llama can do with this before we call it over. (though I agree, there is no sense in you burning yourself out trying to help us llama if you have not got the time, your personal stuff is more important than our game.)
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Yeah, sorry, that was a bit of childish post by me there, I was a bit knackered when I got home. Busy times, writing up my PhD thesis.

So basically, I'm fairly sure I can fix it. It's the battle between Fomoria and Ulm at Fomoria's capital that's causing the crash. It seems to have a random chance of causing a crash. I say that because one time when I hosted it, it didn't crash. Unfortunately I thought it was because of something I'd done (it wasn't) so I deleted that copy of the game off my home computer and tried to replicate the fix on the server, which failed.

So anyway, I think it's just a matter of me re-running it until it doesn't crash, but the trouble is it takes 15 minutes each time so it might just take a while - unfortunately since I have to go to bed it will probably be the middle of next week now. Sorry to mess you all about so much with this game! Poor time management by me.
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road

You should have just given up Tyrant! You're the reason the game is crashing!

hehehe.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

It's you not me! I think you found a previously unknown limit to the number of BFEs you can cast in one battle! My battle plan is simple and straightforward.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

does anybody else get the message: 2h for unknown game?
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Yeah, don't worry, I took the game off the list while I'm fixing it (should be sorted in the next day or few).