.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 Wishlist

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
With an external MP launcher, you wouldn't have to type anything. Cut N Paste the IP from IRC/Forums/Note Pad and away you go. As long as I don't have to manually type an IP address I'd be happy.
You can always create shortcuts using the command line parameters to automatically log into thd server you want.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
What you suggested is another solution however, adding horse/mount specific slot and duplicating the key footwear thematically. Bridles of Earth (+1E)
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Unthematic. You shouldn't even be able to Summon Earthpower through a horse. I mean, that's a whole horse's worth of insulation! Horses aren't elementally conductive, are they?
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

And we all know that people riding horses never get off their horses.
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
You can always create shortcuts using the command line parameters to automatically log into thd server you want.
That's what my MP launcher would do: store different command lines in an .ini file and give you a very simple GUi to choose from the list.

I could rip some parts out of my dom map randomizer and work from there. If I find the time. What is -I must admit- not very likely atm
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Umm... Under Windoze, why not just make a directory / folder and create all the shortcuts there? That's what I've done, so I click on "Dom2 Shortcuts" on my desktop (shortcut to the folder) and then I have all my shortcuts in one window, clicking on whichever one I want.

Linux, a script for each one would be even simpler.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I wish to be able to rename provinces that I control, in a similar fasion as renaming commanders.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Here's a nice idea (which might have been suggested already), why don't you make it so the unit description will detail which kind of random a mage gets? (IE Full Random, Sorcery or Elemental)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

Alternatley, or additionally, a color coded question mark would be nice too, so we wouldn't have to hover over it.

The best would be a combination of the two. But at this point I would take the worst system over the guessing system.

Also, this is a suggestion for the forums when the Dom III forums are launched. Please make the General, AAR/MP and Mods forums to be equal as far as the heirarchy is concered. I personally don't like the search functionality of the website, but it works in a way. What doesn't work is getting back threads from the AAR and Mod forums with no way to stop it. It is because they are listed as subforums and so any search will search all 3. Since I would assume you would include the "Do not search subforums" option if the forum code allowed for it, so the only easy way I see of doing it is what I mentioned. The method however is not my concern, there may be better or easier ways of getting it done...I'd be happy with any result that would let me search JUST the general forum.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road

This detail about "which kind of random magic pick is this?" is my pet peeve about Dominions.

There should be no important facts about the game that the user cannot learn from the user interface! This applies especially to game state.

For example, how many Calls to God have you made? How many turns have you spent building a Mountain Citadel in this province? Any game state which the user cannot get to in the user interface should be removed from the rules. Conversely, any game state which is part of the rules should be accessible in the user interface.

As another little example, the Medusa's turn-to-stone power is not featured as an icon in her list of qualities. I lost quite a lot of troops to her because I wasn't aware of it.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Sergeant

Olive is on a distinguished road

I've seen screenshots in CyberStratege (French Newspaper - Buy it ). It seems there will be on the main screen a bar indicating the resources owned by the player. It's a good improvement. The same is planned on HoMM5 and a beta-tester suggested something like that :

It seems a good idea to show the monthly income too (except for the slashes, imho useless here).

A imo better idea would be to show the monthly expenses between brackets (upkeep for money, sum of monthly cast spells for gems) :

Example : [gem icon] 150 +10 (-5)
The player owns 150 of one gem type, gets 10 per month and uses 5 per month.