.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default A way to move multiple territories at once?

One thing that should have been in earlier version of Dominions that was missing was a way to tell a unit to go from Point A to Point B over multiple turns automatically. Instead, you have to move them every single turn until they get there.

Will there be a way to do this in Dom3?

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A way to move multiple territories at once?

Methink no. Does not seems to be a priority, although I would like to be wrong on this.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If it doesnt happen with Dom3 then it wont be till Dom4 (if at all). There are alot of things people would like to see added that would involve changing the turn file from being "just this turns actions" to tracking multi-turn actions. That would be pretty involved to do without breaking some of the PbEM of it
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road

I always missed that in Dominions 2 and hoped it would be in the third game. Being able to hold shift to set waypoints through several territories (or even better, to just select a distant territory and have the army plot waypoints to it by itself). But I suppose you can't have everything.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Sergeant

Archonsod is on a distinguished road

You wouldn't have to change the turn file at all really. You could simply have the waypoint stored on the local machine, and have it submit the movement action at the start of your turn. As far as the turn file itself is concerned, there'd be no difference between it happening this way or the player doing it themselves.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

That would be great. It would open the door to many other things people want such as game triggers and changing AIs. All of which requires a recognition of turns somewhere in the future. And the switches for that would open the door to player-programmable AIs also. And the ability to bot your player for a few turns if you are going to be gone.

But it would break the "play from anywhere" pbem component. And it would take quite abit of rewrite if the game has no trigger switches and stored variables for such things.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Oh well... I play Dominions since 2001. I suppose I can wait 5 more years!
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But it would break the "play from anywhere" pbem component. And it would take quite abit of rewrite if the game has no trigger switches and stored variables for such things.
That's what you get from having Swedes make a game.

Could it, technically, be possible to store it on the computer and then just e-mail the stored data to your e-mail account and then download it again?

Gee, I don't know, I'm not a programmer.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Player orders carrying over from turn to turn are already there, and therefore can't be that much of a technical problem: We have build and research orders which are set once and can last for several turns. Obviously, these must be stored in and re-read from the turn file already.

I think the troubles starts with the fact that the game engine doesn't have any kind of "memory": every order is calculated turn-by-turn, for the player as well as for the AI. The engine e.g. simply can't "break up" a multiple-province movement into several movements-per-turn and store those for later reference.

To get the game engine itself to remember orders/facts/etc like the "player GUI client" part does would require a substantial rewrite of the code I guess - otherwise it would have been done already I think.

Hope this makes any sense - I'm only a part-time programmer and English isn't my first language, as you might have guessed already
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Right, redo the same command is abit different than giving a series of commands over multiple turns. The first one can be in the same turn file as "and do again" until it fails. In fact, that type of action is actually easier since usually it would be "do this and then after that switch to this" such as "cast this spell then switch to defend". So to continue its just a matter of "do this" and then not turning it off.