.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road
Default Another Newb Inna House!

OK so I'm designing my first campaign. And my first scenario. And my first map. More or less first everything. Please be gentle

I've read the Help file. I have it open while I'm working actually.

Any helpful hints? Aside from the one that goes...

When editing a scenario, as you click save, that button on the far right that you think would be next is actually exit. Since you know that there are hundreds of scenarios included you know you want to mash that button like 15 times. Do not be surprised when you Exit and then Exit scenario editor cause that windows exit button is right underneath the location of the Save Scenario Exit button which you have mistakenly taken for "Next" like ohhhhh 4 times now. Completely wasting about 2hrs. Ohhhh and Autosave... ya... not much help if you exit.

So Hint #1: Exit != Next

Aside from that... anything else I should know?
Use campaign force ratios as normal? Beef things up? Tone it down since the AI isn't picking the enemy force?

This is where you Scenario and Campaign Masters can show off
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Newb Inna House!

Probably the biggest thing is waypoints,
Read the manual. Twice!
Create a small test scenario (like a platoon) and send squads in all directions using waypoints.
Learn how to use them for reinforcement units that enter a scenario after it begins and need waypoints to know where to go.
Learn to use them to set up a bounding overwatch. i.e. how to move, delay a turn or two, and move again.
Learn how to get units with different movement speeds to move at the same pace.

Master waypoints and you'll become an instant scenario design expert.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Probably the biggest thing is waypoints,
Read the manual. Twice!
I never thought I would say this but...

It is quite possible that the code for Waypoints is MORE messed up than the code for Airstrikes.

It couldn't have been as obvious as...

1) Follow this path to the best of your ability at a) top speed b) 3/4ths c) half.
2) If someone shoots you stop and fight back
3) If no one is shooting you stay where you got shot or resume

It is scarily telling that Pyros (a Player) is the one who figured out what is going on under the hood.
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Sergeant

In building a campaign...

At the beginning the player gets to buy XXX with ZZZ points.

In each of the scenarios created the units purchased for Player 1 are the Auxiliary Units correct? So stuff he bought plus other stuff he bought with Support points if Given at all plus any Aux Units purchased by the designer in each of the scenarios.

Is there anyway to skip that initial Core Purchase and just assign units to him?
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJazz View Post
In building a campaign...

At the beginning the player gets to buy XXX with ZZZ points.

In each of the scenarios created the units purchased for Player 1 are the Auxiliary Units correct? So stuff he bought plus other stuff he bought with Support points if Given at all plus any Aux Units purchased by the designer in each of the scenarios.

Is there anyway to skip that initial Core Purchase and just assign units to him?
Units purchased or upgraded with replacement points become part of the core.

Units purchased with reinforcement points are effectively auxiliaries.

If you make your campaign "Fixed Core" the player cannot add new units after the game begins.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Sergeant

mmm sorta answered my own question...

The answer was in the Scenario Editor portion not Campaign where I was looking.

Slightly different question...

I want to start off with a specific set of units. I want the player to be able to add to them if he wishes after the First Battle.

Set it for fixed core buy the stuff and hand out repair points for each battle normally?
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

A specified core is a "fixed core" campaign - the user gets what the designer gave him. The fixed core troops cannot be given away on initial core purchase and their points used to buy other stuff.

He can buy some variable stuff to add to the designer's fixed core if you give him purchase points at the start over and above the fixed core set.

Naturally, after the kick-off then he can fix/repair/delete that core as normal with his earned buy/repair points once battle 1 is over.

Auxiliaries are extra troops you give him for a scenario on top of his core and any auxiliaries he buys himself out of buy points - but he cannot delete them for extra points of course, he is stuck with the 455th field kitchen that you gave him!. Fixed Auxiliaries are the same but fixed in place so that he cannot re-deploy them away from the scenario designers positions - typically they may be folks set waaay out in the bad lands that you want to be rescued etc...

Andy
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Sergeant

So basically, to do what I want to do I must...

Make one of those 20x20 map please choose here scenarios. This will allow me to use Aux forces etc in Battle 2. This is also where I purchase the Fixed Core and Organize them into their pretty Companies, change their unit type, ammo, etc.

Make Scenario 2 "The Real Beginning" tack on the Aux that I want. Stare in amazement at Pyro's Waypoint Guide. Assign some Support points if I feel like it and let the player actually begin the Campaign.

Repeat Scenario design until I'm done.

Holler if I left anything out 'kay?
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJazz View Post
So basically, to do what I want to do I must...

Make one of those 20x20 map please choose here scenarios. This will allow me to use Aux forces etc in Battle 2. This is also where I purchase the Fixed Core and Organize them into their pretty Companies, change their unit type, ammo, etc.

Make Scenario 2 "The Real Beginning" tack on the Aux that I want. Stare in amazement at Pyro's Waypoint Guide. Assign some Support points if I feel like it and let the player actually begin the Campaign.

Repeat Scenario design until I'm done.

Holler if I left anything out 'kay?
Nope.

Use the editor to make, cross-attach, and otherwise edit your core force, auxiliaries, and opposition forces for scenario one.
Use the "AUX" button to make units auxiliaries as needed.

For scenario two bring up scenario one in the editor, delete everything BUT the core force - select a "CUSTOM" map to load the map for scenario two - buy new auxiliary and opposition forces as needed.

Assign "Replacement" and "Support" point as needed.