.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 15th, 2004, 03:17 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default New Mod - Broken Empire Ermor

I've decided to release a mod that greatly enhances the magical abilities of the Broken Empire of Ermor. Basically, I've added astral magic to the Ermorian cultist and raised its price, as well as added one point in death magic to each of the thaumaturgs. The file can be found here:
Broken Empire mod.
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod - Broken Empire Ermor

Oh, interesting! I look forward to playing with it.

OTOH... Graeme, what would you think of making the Grand Thaumaturges Unholy-4 naturally? That's my biggest 'beef' with them currently.

Edit: Another small question I have is the thought process behind giving the Cultist Astral magic instead of Death magic. I assume it's to give Ermor access to a cheap Communion Slave. While nice, I think it'd be better, from a design aesthetic POV, to give them one Death instead of one Astral. If you did that, you'd get:

Cultist DU
Thaumaturge SDDUU
Grand Thaumaturge SSDDDUUU

From a practical standpoint, it'd also allow Cultists to work better in an Undead Courier role.

Just a thought.

[ June 15, 2004, 15:08: Message edited by: Scott Hebert ]
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:16 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hebert:
OTOH... Graeme, what would you think of making the Grand Thaumaturges Unholy-4 naturally? That's my biggest 'beef' with them currently.
Well, that would give them access to reanimated lictors with their prophet, which should probably be avoided for a living Version of Ermor. It's a thought, but I rarely use the GT's for reanimation anyways due to their expense.

Quote:
I assume it's to give Ermor access to a cheap Communion Slave. While nice, I think it'd be better, from a design aesthetic POV, to give them one Death instead of one Astral.
I was mostly thinking about giving them an affordable communion slave, as that's the major thing missing when comparing them to Pythium. I was looking at how Ermor represents the Western Roman Empire, while Pythium represents the East, and thinking that there should be some more similarities between the two.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
Well, that would give them access to reanimated lictors with their prophet, which should probably be avoided for a living Version of Ermor. It's a thought, but I rarely use the GT's for reanimation anyways due to their expense.
Yes, but I'm more trying to get them better access to reanimated longdead horsemen.

Quote:
I was mostly thinking about giving them an affordable communion slave, as that's the major thing missing when comparing them to Pythium. I was looking at how Ermor represents the Western Roman Empire, while Pythium represents the East, and thinking that there should be some more similarities between the two.
In that case, you can make the Thaumaturges direct analogs of the Theurgs by switching the Death and Astral.

Cultist = SU
Acolyte = SHH

Thaumaturge = SSDUU
Theurg = SSWHHH

Grand Thaumaturge = SSSDD?UUU
Arch Theurg = SSSWWA?HHHH

I just find it half-and-half, and that's not as good as either extreme, IMO.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:38 PM

My own personal opinion this is a great change to BE. I talked with Graeme before and found it to be great addition with a minor change to the feel of the theme.

I probably wouldn't have added a Death to the normal Thamaturgs, but the Grand Thamaturgs did need a boost considering the other options that BE has.

Having a readily accessable, build everywhere, cheap communion slave outside of Thamaturgs as well as a cheap researcher makes BE play like an undead Version of Pythium (which is what my idea of BE is) and helps it out substancially.

[ June 15, 2004, 16:40: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Oh, I think it's a great change too. I'm just noting some slight alterations to the slight alterations to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:15 PM

General

Well, the only way I would really consider making the cultist have DU is if I could make a copy of communion slave, change it's requirements to 1 death, and assign it to BE Ermor as a nation specific spell. I don't believe that this is possible yet with the current modding tools.