Notices

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Two Items: Line of Sight and movement

Quote:
MemoryLeak said:
And here is an attempt to place the two saved game files into this post.

Now I need the map co-ordinates of the area you think is a problem

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM

Sergeant

cbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MemoryLeak said:
Hi,

First of all I would like to say thanks for the replies. It may be the elevation factor. I am in the second scenario of the long campaign with me being Germany and Computer is Poland. First scenario was 40 hex visibility and current scenario is 35 hexes. I get shot at from clear across the map, including through trees. Makes it very difficult to move.
If you have unit on a hill, you will be able to look over trees placed at height 0. And as you have a high visibility situation (visibility is 65), even a few trees placed at higher elevations will not block the view entirely, as Andy explained.
In case of you map, a unit placed on the height 20 hill at 6,24 can see units on the height 10 hill at 35,51, even though there are plenty of trees between the two positions. That is because the trees are at height 0. There is also a patch of ground around 54,19 that can be seen from 6,24 throug several rows of trees. That is partly due to visibility but also because some of those trees are at lower elevations.
So there will be spots and patches of ground scattered around on a map which can be visible from advantageous positions, even if there are trees between.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM

BANNED USER

MemoryLeak is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your attempt to help but I am just going to mark this down as a lesson learned and move on to a game that is a little more realistic and user friendly. I went on to another scenario and the visibility is 81 hexes. They can spot me from miles away now. On the preferences screen I have to tone down the Polish army to it's minimum of 30% in all categories just to keep from losing every tank I have. The Polish Infantry fires one round of rifle fire at my FLAK36/ZUGKRWGN's and destroys them EVERYTIME. I can't conceal any movement or troops from the AI. Not much fun.I am going back to SPWAW at least the siting is damage is closer to reality.
Thanks
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: European Weather & LOS

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon45.gif[/img]Are you aware that visability is easily amendable?[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon45.gif[/img]

Yes 4kms vis in Europe on less than a crisp winters day does sound out of touch, I never play Europe at that time of year with more than 2.5 kms max usually around 1.5 km or less depending on what time of day I think it might be and weather conditions. Heck a rainy new moon night you are looking at (or not ) 50m or less.

Hate to lose a potenial fan over weather.[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Lightning.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Sergeant

cbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isokron View Post
Thanks for your attempt to help but I am just going to mark this down as a lesson learned and move on to a game that is a little more realistic and user friendly. I went on to another scenario and the visibility is 81 hexes. They can spot me from miles away now. On the preferences screen I have to tone down the Polish army to it's minimum of 30% in all categories just to keep from losing every tank I have. The Polish Infantry fires one round of rifle fire at my FLAK36/ZUGKRWGN's and destroys them EVERYTIME. I can't conceal any movement or troops from the AI. Not much fun.I am going back to SPWAW at least the siting is damage is closer to reality.
Thanks
I think you are giving up rather fast on WinSPWW2.

Even though SPWAW and WinSPWW2 look a lot like each other, they are very different games in many ways. They are based on two different platforms (SP2 and SP3) and the game design philosophies of the two groups involved are rather different. This means that going from one game to the other means that you have to un-learn a lot of what you know from one game and re-learn a lot from the new one. That takes a while.

With regards to the enemys ability to see you, there is very few places on the map you presented where the enemy have anything like a 40 hex LOS to you units and there are plenty of places to hide. But those places might be different from SPWAW and "safe" movement is an art that has to be relearned. And that is not something you do in a game or two!

The Flak36/Zugkrwgns is an open topped, unarmoured unit that should obviously be kept far away from enemy infantry. It would obviously be shot to pieces together with the crew if falling victim to small arms fire. Particularily if it is one of those 19-man Polish rifle squads blasting away! I doubt it would be any different in SPWAW - and if it is, I know what I would consider the more realistic

As for the 81 hex visibility, that has to be a fluke for Poland in September 1939 - I ran through a series of generated battles for that period and visibility was 50-69.

cbo