Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
MP Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI. Game Over. Team ACGHHS wins! - Page 136 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Honestly, they don't have to connect to each other (although its cool if they do). I'd stick them under mountain graphics, since those are graphical areas of the map that don't have provinces, and thus they won't interfere with the routing of the map (other than possibly providing new ways around the mountains for amphibious or *sailing* forces (lol)).
Can't stick em under mountain graphics, not on this map anyway or on maps with border mountain provinces. I might be able add the sea terrain mask to some border mountain provinces (wonder if/how that combo would work) but that probably wouldn't cover them up completely. In the best case they might appear to ring the lake.

If they are to be connected, which would solve your issue of distance, they'd need to be far enough away from magic sites and the AI so the other teams don't complain about R'lyeh's easy access to both. The magic sites are a prize of sorts to the first team to reach em and hold them.
I was suggesting just adding new provinces. Shouldn't even be that hard to do (add white dot in the center of the mountains so the game knows its a province, error check neighbor definitions and province definitions in the .map file, and add new ones for the new provinces).
Oh you were suggesting I fiddle with the actual image file (something I didn't really want to have do and have no capable .rgb image editor at present) but I suppose yes, it might be possible. I was hoping you'd just be able to look at the map and say presto, this is where they should go without image editing.

Edit: I actually see 4 great locations for them in each corner of the map without having to actually touch the image file. There are problems with that placement though especially if connected. If not, well you'd just have to bust into the midst of the enemy camp to get at em. Would provide an incentive to destroy the enemy teams.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; February 20th, 2010 at 11:48 AM..
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I'm requesting another 24h extension while my marketing team confers.

We appreciate your business and apologize for the delay - your Easy-Slay(TM) will be sent as soon as it is ready. Delays are sometimes inevitable and reflect the commitment to quality that embodies the spirit of team Easy-Slay(TM).
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I support a 24h extension =)
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I'm really, really hoping we get those extra 24 hrs....
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Just getting in. I've received the delay request.

4 hours left, 1 turn Caelum, still outstanding. I'm putting in the 24 hours, just in case.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

No delay needed. Your forces managed to run away once again.
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Septimius asked me to consult on some map image edits. I can put them together for you guys. But be warned that adding new provinces requires the whole .map to be redone - this means re-connecting all provinces and re-assigning all landtypes. I don't have the time to do the .map edits.

If someone's willing to do the .map edits, specify what you want done with the image file, and I can take care of it.

cleveland
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
Hi all,

Septimius asked me to consult on some map image edits. I can put them together for you guys. But be warned that adding new provinces requires the whole .map to be redone - this means re-connecting all provinces and re-assigning all landtypes. I don't have the time to do the .map edits.

If someone's willing to do the .map edits, specify what you want done with the image file, and I can take care of it.

cleveland
Redone is probably overstating it. You'd need to increment the current definitions for every province numbered later than at least one new province. So if you knew what the new province numbers were, you'd know which provinces need incrementing and how many they'd need to be incremented.

Then of course you just have to fill in data for the new provinces.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Thanks for volunteering, Squirrelloid.

Just specify what you guys want. A rough jpeg would probably be best.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks for stopping by Cleveland and looking into it. Sounds scary. If it can be done without a lot of extra work on my part, retaining my province connections and everything else, no prob. Cleveland, see my PM. I can provide a .jpeg with the desired sites, and .map and .rgb file as well of course. 4 sites, arranged around the center, in those border mountain graphic areas, will work fine for my purposes. I can connect em up later.

Without those image edits, the corners would be the only logical place for them that wouldn't obstruct things.

I've been toying around with the idea of introducing a single privateer/human played mercenary nation into the game for fun. In this case it'd be Altantis (as that is all that is left that is amphibious), based in the center of the map (the current center magic site).

Basically, a team could hire them in the Deva's Den. This nation for hire by the highest bidder, could loan out their services every turn or do a contract similar to the current in game mercs, 3, 4 or 5 months. I could make their cap off limits to human teams, to assure they stay in the game. A great position for someone who fancies themselves a pirate/freelancer of sorts, and can be played by anyone really. Your only bias is gold! No team communication to deal with, no diplomacy to wrangle. Hire us, and we attack your enemy for ya.