This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the \"King of the Hi

Hmm I read this a few times and I don't understand.. Never had this problem myself whether I am player 1 or 2. I feel it a bit important for me to understand since I am the player 2 in question.

Is there anything I can do to help you not get screwed over? Besides not designing ships that is?

Rathar
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
geoschmo said:
Edit is right below the copy and create buttons. It will only be available if the design you have selected on the left is a prototype. Furthermore, if it's a protoype that you have in a build queue, you will get an message when you click edit.
Crap! Dimmed out on my PC so often I don't even notice it! Gamma must be set weird, too. Let me see how that works out.
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:26 PM

General

Quote:
Rathar said:
Hmm I read this a few times and I don't understand.. Never had this problem myself whether I am player 1 or 2. I feel it a bit important for me to understand since I am the player 2 in question.

Is there anything I can do to help you not get screwed over? Besides not designing ships that is?

Rathar
Well, perhaps holding all attacks at least one turn?
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM

General

Quote:
Slynky said:
Quote:
Rathar said:
Well.. I am a fan of 3 good planets, no intel and manual placement to insure that we don't start right next to each other. # of points doesn't matter much to me as I can adjust to anything in that realm but I dunno about the balance mod as it seems a bit dull in a predictable sort of way (never played with it so what do I really know but..)

Everything else can be on if you desire as I can build warp openers as fast if not faster than you can and things like mines are only temporary speedbumps.

I also have to admit to liking low tech starts as I feel that I can research like mad but tis all good in this area too!
The opposite of being bored with the Balance Mod is to find yourself pulling an unlucky draw in planet distribution (with damaging warplines around you, etc.) I liken the Balance Mod to playing on the same 64 squares of a chess board...the board may be boring but the play changes in every game. And, at this point on the Hill, I think the pursuit is who's the best, not who's the luckiest.

I have no problem with the following settings (so far):

3 good planets;
No intel;
No mines;

and
Manual placement.

I propose:

No stellar manipulation; (because a game where the intent is to make the first opener and burrow past the front lines in a "riot run" attempt in the back lines shouldn't be the goal of the game);
ZERO racial points;
and
Balance Mod.

Your turn
I thought we agreed upon no mines. While I will acknowledge that the game creator forgot to turn off that particular setting per our agreement, I figured it could be a gentleman's agreement instead of having the game re-rolled after more than 10 turns had been played.

Now I've lost 2 ships with training and taken damage I might not have taken at the planet had there possibly been more ships able to fire a first round into your platform.

Since mines can't be recovered, I'm also concerned about how many other places there are "illegal" mines over because (1) We agreed to no use mines and (2) I don't want to have to research and build sweeping ships to take with me and (3) My game plan has been laid out from the beginning assuming no mines.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:51 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Book of the Kingdom of the Hill, cont\'d

Mine fields can be self-destructed (not proper grammar, I know), though the same menu as other self-destruct/retrofit/fire on commands are given.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:08 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I overlooked the item rather than forgot to turn it off in the settings. I know, the end result *is* the same. You have my apologies (not that they're worth much). I don't have a grudge against you, by the way, in case you're wondering why every single game you are in runs into some trouble, whereas virtually all other KOTH games are fine.

Feel free to ask a reroll. I would suggest setting up a mod seriously nerfing warheads, so they deal 1 damage to Shields only, or some such (they cannot affect Shields, and 1 damage is intended "just in case"). This mod would have to be used during play, though.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

General

Quote:
Alneyan said:Feel free to ask a reroll.
35 turns in and me in first place? I don't think so. I was more concerned with what my opponent had to say and what he was going to do to make it right. Those 8 ships I attacked his planet with were intended to move to a more forward area but the loss of 3 ships makes this a questionable decision now considering I see 5 of his ships in the direction I planned to go.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM

General

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Mine fields can be self-destructed (not proper grammar, I know), though the same menu as other self-destruct/retrofit/fire on commands are given.
Thanks Renegade 13. Still learning this game, I confess. Never thought of self-destructing them.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I meant a roll back to the turn before, and not starting over... though I'm not sure how going back one turn would work out.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

It's a tough call. You built your strategy around the lack of mines. Ratharkalinger spent research and resources setting them up. Neither of you is at fault, being an honest mistake on his part using the available tech compounding an honest mistake by the game owner allowing it. But no matter what you do from this point on, someone get's screwed.

Ok, now I'm done stating the obvious.