Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Private

mosborne is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: PBEM Security Question

Hi:
Appreiciate the feedback.

I got the point about the multiple games in one slot. I really wanted to know if the melt down is definite or only a possibility, as the games are already in play, and no need continuing if they are going to self destruct just when things getting interesting.

Reading the thread it sounds like it is a definite. Any idea, how many turns into the game it happens? If it takes 30 turns to happen, I may try to continue. But if it takes 13 turns, then I will need to propose some options to my friends. Also, is it possible that the meltdown is only non-CD games? And one last question, can someone provide a description of what to expect from a meltdown. Does it not load, or do I see strange things, do my men turn on their commanders and mutiny

BTW I bought the game (in fact I think I bought it three times (both WW2 and MBT, original plus Shrapnel twice by mistake).

Thanks, just trying to fix my goof.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Security Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne View Post
Hi:
Appreiciate the feedback.

I got the point about the multiple games in one slot. I really wanted to know if the melt down is definite or only a possibility, as the games are already in play, and no need continuing if they are going to self destruct just when things getting interesting.

Reading the thread it sounds like it is a definite. Any idea, how many turns into the game it happens? If it takes 30 turns to happen, I may try to continue. But if it takes 13 turns, then I will need to propose some options to my friends. Also, is it possible that the meltdown is only non-CD games? And one last question, can someone provide a description of what to expect from a meltdown. Does it not load, or do I see strange things, do my men turn on their commanders and mutiny

BTW I bought the game (in fact I think I bought it three times (both WW2 and MBT, original plus Shrapnel twice by mistake).

Thanks, just trying to fix my goof.
Are the games in secure mode?.

If so, then since as I said the game registry for loads/fails is based on the PBEM game slot then they are going to be toast at some point. Your opponent will be thinking you cheat, or you will be thinking he is, since you are stuffing random loads, fails and turn ids from 2 (or more) different secure PBEM games into the same registry slot. Trying to stuff several simultaneous secure games into the same slot is simply trashing the entire reason you are playing secure mode in the first place.

Secure PBEM games must use the same slot throughout the entire life of the PBEM game.

Secure mode is generally only of use for competitive games where you do not trust your opponent to reload cheat.

Only basic mode PBEM security games do not track any registry data, and can be shared in the same slot.

Basic mode PBEM is fine for casual PBEM play against an opponent you trust not to cheat.

Andy
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Since, apart from finishing a battle, there is no button to tell the game, " this battle will not continue cause the other guy doesn't feel like it", how does the game know that the new files you receive from the other guy for a new game on the same slot, are new and not going to affect the new game in the way mentioned in this thread?
Should both sides just delete the files, start the game, quit the game and then copy the new files?
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Wdll

You are making it way to complicated delete if you like but thought this was covered already, its fine
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Since, apart from finishing a battle, there is no button to tell the game, " this battle will not continue cause the other guy doesn't feel like it", how does the game know that the new files you receive from the other guy for a new game on the same slot, are new and not going to affect the new game in the way mentioned in this thread?
Should both sides just delete the files, start the game, quit the game and then copy the new files?
When P1 starts a new secure game in slot X, then the files he sends to P2 are A-OK for the data for this new game. P2s computer now knows it is a new secure game and sets the registry for that new game on the first turn. No need to delete any files on P2's part - it is the new fileset sent by P1 that initialises the new secure PBEM game in slot X. This fileset will overwrite the old files on P2s computer without any need for P2 to play with any old files. P2 could delete them if he wants - but there is no need to.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Ah, thank you very much, I feel much better now
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Private

mosborne is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the process description.

I'll warn my opponent, but of course we will continue till it happens, maybe we will luck out.

I don't think cheating is an issue, since I'll forfeit the game if that becomes an issue, since it was my mistake.