.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default The Eight Gates

Note: This post has been redone (12/7/7) to combine all important information in this top post.

UPDATE: This post has a .RAR attached. The third post in this thread has the same thing as a .ZIP. You can download whichever you prefer, the .RAR is smaller, the .ZIP is more accessible for many.

"The Eight Gates"

STORY
-----------
While the Pantokrator ruled, there was relative peace in the world. Skirmishes would break out from time to time, but not major wars. The people were united under one god. Since his sudden dissappearance, the world has turned to Chaos. The various peoples of the world have each rallied under their local deities and are fighting for primacy. Even the world itself is being torn apart - rifts have opened up in the fabric of the world, swallowing land and lake alike into voids of nothingness. In the wake of this chaos, eight flavors of magical gates, previously only accessible to the Pantokrator and his highest servants, have opened up across the land. Any common man can travel the gates, crossing huge areas of land in a short time - but sometimes there is a horrible price for travelling the Gates.

With the people warring and the world itself in destruction, one supreme god must rise to power, to calm the world and to rule the heavens. Will it be you?

DETAILS
----------------------------------------------------------
Roughly 230 provinces, 10 water, rest land. Not wrap-around, but efforts have been made to reduce/eliminate the advantages of edges and corners. Start locations are not set, but are restricted to a set of provinces all of which are roughly balanced. A water player is allowed, but would likely be at a serious disadvantage.

The map has a lot of chokepoints, and a fairly low number of average neighbors. This is countered by The Eight Gates - a means of teleporting across the world. This means that despite the low average connectivity, there is no/little chance of getting boxed in because of myriad options for expansion/attack.

4 VERSIONS
---------
The download contains four versions of this map (four for the price of one!)
1. Gates provide connections between faraway lands, but nodes are not special. Nodes are weakly guarded.

2. Gates provide connections between faraway lands, and nodes harm those who stay in them for long. Nodes are weakly guarded.

3. Gates provide connections between faraway lands, nodes harm those who stay in them for long, and each flavor of node allows recruitment of spellcasters with that magic path. Nodes are weakly guarded.

4. Gates provide connections between faraway lands, nodes harm those who stay in them for long, and each flavor of node allows recruitment of spellcasters with that magic path. Nodes have stronger thematic guards than versions 1-3.

This map should hoepfully be fun for SP, but is meant for MP. I'd love to see a MP game start on any of these versions. 2 and 4 makes the most sense to me.

SCREENSHOTS
--------------
Here's a preview of the nodes for four of the eight flavors of gates (clockwise from top left, water,fire,air,earth).

Each of the 8 nodes can be reached by 5 gates scattered across the world. I'll show a clip of the overland map and the gates next.

Here's a preview of the overland map (without province borders). It's a swampy area with 4 flavors of gates visible. Clockwise from top left: water, life, blood (the pool of blood at the bottom), astral. The blood gates look different from the other 7 flavors of gate because blood magic is different from the 7 other types of magic in dom3.

(The thing in the middle is just decoration.)

Gameplay-wise, there are five gates of each of the 8 flavors scattered across the overland map. If you step into any of the five pools of blood on the overland map, you are brought to the blood node (which looks like the four nodes in the post above, except blood themed). In the blood node, you can exit through any blood pool. If you stay in the blood node (or any node) too long, you will have bad things happen to you. Depending on which of the .map files you play with you might also be able to recruit blood mages (other mages for other nodes) in the blood node. The other seven flavors of gates all function the same way.

Whole Map (For Scale, note the zoom-in is a small section in the southeast of this map)

Please give feedback at the new map repository
http://dom3maps.wikidot.com
Attached Files
File Type: rar 552196-EightGates.rar (17.08 MB, 2097 views)

Last edited by lch; September 4th, 2008 at 04:36 AM..
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map Preview: The Eight Gates

I bet this map will be more pleasant to me than the previous one, as I only play SP (one day, I'll have a connection on my PC, and I'll be able to go and get crushed...).to increase connectivity you could also put some ports, as there is water on your map. Hard to be more precise without a preview.(I,too, want a poney)

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Sergeant

EDIT - THIS POST HAS THE FILE AS A .ZIP INSTEAD OF A .RAR!

Yes. The AI should do much better on this map. It'll use the gates better than it uses the desert.

Yeah, I thought some about the ports idea, or having a a river map where the river provinces are long and thin.. because (maybe?) you can travel quickly on water in real life compared to land (well.. if you go the right way.. but ignore this).so river provinces would be important.

--------

I'm interested in how different connectivity maps play out. Like, two maps could have an average of 4 neighbors per province, right. But if one has all provinces with 4 neighbors exactly, it would play very differently from one that had half 2 neighbors, and half with 6. You think think about how many nearest neighor,s 2nd nearest neighbors, etc. each province has.

One thing I realized, is in most maps, if you have a province W, with neighbors X, Y, and Z, X, Y and Z are usually close. For example, if W,X,Y,Z each had 3 neighbors, you could have something like

NOTE - Somehow my "ASCII" is all messed up... putting periods as placeholders helps? ignore them please

..........X......
........./.|.\....
A--Z--W--Y--B

So, from W, in two moves or less, you can get to any of 5 provinces.

But if you have some provinces that connect provinces that do not connect to eachother and have 3 neighbors.

.....A--X--B....
...........|.......
C--Z--W--Y--D.
......|.........|....
......E.......F....

In this scenario, with all provinces having 3 neighbors, just as before, in two moves or less, you can now get to
9 provinces (almost twice as many).

---------------
I think when I return to map making I'll use an easier/simpler system for making the graphical parts of maps, and play around more with this aspect perhaps. These maps take too long, and I'm not even sure if I like their look. They seem not grand enough a scope (like, seeing individual mountains instead of a huge mountain range.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 552245-EightGates.zip (20.10 MB, 492 views)
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM

Sergeant

Here's a preview of the nodes for four of the eight flavors of gates (clockwise from top left, water,fire,air,earth).

Each of the 8 nodes can be reached by 5 gates scattered across the world. I'll show a clip of the overland map and the gates next.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Sergeant

Here's a preview of the overland map (without province borders). It's a swampy area with 4 flavors of gates visible. Clockwise from top left: water, life, blood (the pool of blood at the bottom), astral. The blood gates look different from the other 7 flavors of gate because blood magic is different from the 7 other types of magic in dom3.

(The thing in the middle is just decoration.)

Gameplay-wise, there are five gates of each of the 8 flavors scattered across the overland map. If you step into any of the five pools of blood on the overland map, you are brought to the blood node (which looks like the four nodes in the post above, except blood themed). In the blood node, you can exit through any blood pool. If you stay in the blood node (or any node) too long, you will have bad things happen to you. Depending on which of the .map files you play with (I'll provide 3?) you might also be able to recruit blood mages (other mages for other nodes) in the blood node. The other seven flavors of gates all function the same way.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Sounds very, very cool.

I'm looking forward to it.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.