.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sir_Dr_D is on a distinguished road
Default Erfworld web comic

Who hear has read the erfworld webcomic? I found there was a lot of parallel to the webcomic and this dominons game. Reading it, was partly responsible for inspiring me to start playing dominions again.

It takes place in an alternate world, that behaves similar to a turn based strategy game. It is a world that is a constant state of warfare, distance is measured in hexes, units just got popped out of nowhere (children don't exist), everyone fully heals at the begining of their turn, food and supplies just pop out of nowhere, no one but the warlords have free will, only one side of a conflict at a time can do their move (the other sides must stay in their hex), etc. Erfworlders all find this way of life perfectly normal.

The story revolves around a character called Parson who is pulled from our world into this one. He is forced into being a chief warlord in the losing side of a conflict. He then proceeds to take advantage, and exploit the rules of erfworld to his advantage. But I am sure a domions player woudn't know about exploiting rules. That would be bad.

It is a very interesting read. It starts off a little silly, with a lot of bad puns. But it gets quite deep and interesting.

www.erfworld.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir_Dr_D For This Useful Post:
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:43 AM

BANNED USER

Ink is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Erfworld web comic

actually that sounds a lot like america

america hasn't been at complete peace since it was born, life is measured in business days, and food magically appears in supermarkets (as far as most people are concerned).
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

Ha ha! I never thought of that comparison. Food just magically sort of appears for us too doesn't it. But I am afraid that is where the comparison ends. Erfworlders are physically active and in shape. ( unlike most of civilized society )And our world wasn't created by titans of arc who happen to look like elvis impersonators.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:57 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

But don't disregard the units popping out of nowhere! The descendants of those who stepped off the Mayflower would prefer to believe in storks and such. Don't mention the ***! Or the *****es! And don't get me started on the free will either, sheeple.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I don't think Erfworld is very similar to Dom3. Dom3 has simultaneous turns and many other major differences. Erfworld is clearly influenced by tabletop hex games and primarily by stuff like the Warlords series, heroes of might and magic etc.
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road

It reminds me of a hex / turn based game, but I've forgotten it's name. A free one with cartoonish / anime style graphics.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
I don't think Erfworld is very similar to Dom3. Dom3 has simultaneous turns and many other major differences. Erfworld is clearly influenced by tabletop hex games and primarily by stuff like the Warlords series, heroes of might and magic etc.
On the surface dominion rules seem completely different, and no doubt there are games out there that closer model the rules of erfworld. But I find that the depth, complexity, unpredictability, and style of thinking involved are simalr to dominions. Then there is the fact that the outcome of battles is influenced largely by magic , reliance on SC's , and a similarity in magic item use. I found that my dominions experience allowed me to relate to Parson more. Trying to figure out a set of tactics to defeat the enemy, while trying to guess the tactics that the enemy will be using and preparing counters for them is similar to both. Also you can never be sure of the outcome of a battle. No matter how strong your position, the enemy could come up with some tactic that destroys your attacking army. The thinking involved in finding rules expoits is also the same. A lot of the time I found erfworld similar to living a dominions game. ( from a strategy sense not a rules sense) Playing dominions would be a good training tool for being an erfworld warlord.
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Big Erfworld fan since the start, reporting in =p

Glad I'm not the only one ^^
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

I have also read Erfworld since the beginning. Great webcomic!

That said, I don't think it has a lot in common with Dom3. Erfworld is more like a generic fantasy-based tabletop strategy game. But all of the terms are so cute. Dwagons? Twolls? Gobwins? C'mon!
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I second the goodness that is Erfworld. Good characters & story and witty humor. Even the text updates were a suprisingly pleasant read.

What's not to like?