Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Private

Chapman2424 is on a distinguished road
Default Various Engineer Vehicles

Wondering if anyone has tooled with the idea of adding specific Engineer Equipment into WinSPMBT - Armoured Recovery Vehicles, Combat Engineer Vehicles, Armoured Bridgelayers, or vehicles that can lay pre-fab roadway to traverse soft hexes ?????

I am trying to figure if any of these combinations are possible and would appreciate some input.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Various Engineer Vehicles

Adding those would be pretty cool. In SP3 they had CEVs that helped you entrench, but that's it. Still, adding other engineer vehicles would add a lot of depth to the game play.
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Hint:Why not try searching the forum on some of your keywords to see if the subject has already been addressed, before posting another thread on the same subject matter?

Try the menu option "search" at the top right of the forum menu, navigate to the winSPMBT group and then enter say "recovery" as a search word.

I tried just that and got amongst others:
First one

Next one

Short answer: Not in this game system.

However for recovery vehicles if you like "gamey" as opposed to "realistic" (as recovery ops take hours in real life, and the game is a few tens of minutes) - use the tank transporter, or hack a version with a different icon, and recover your damaged vehicles in a couple of minutes.

In a campaign of course, you get your damaged vehicles automatically recovered to repair after the battle is over, assuming you have the repair points.

Cheers
Andy
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Private

Perfect - thanks for the input on Recovery Vehicles - I looked up what I could on AVLB but couldn't find anything substantial - I am surprised that no one has figured this one out - how to bridge anti-tank ditches, trenches, etc. As well as tranversing soft-er terrain hexes with a tank-launched bridge (these systems may be required to bridge a gap - quickly in a battle situation) - is it possible to modify a barge or another-style of vehicle to just sit in a poor-terrain hex and act as a launched bridge ?

BTW - I also config a great minefield clearance rocket system (Offmap - of course).

Cheers,

Stephen
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Private

I refered to my copy of Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics - checked on AVLB launch times - the majority of the AVLB's (mainly from CIS) take between 2-6 minutes to deploy and are suitable for battlefield conditions - just wondering if this can be factored in - as I am trying to replicate the Valley of the Tears assault - Syrians used MTU style soviet-built bridgelayers, not ahead of time, but during the fire-fight in an attempt to bridge the anti-tank ditch.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

modern AVLBs may take a couple of minutes to deploy, but I think you will find out that most of the older ones (like the MTU or TMM) take more like 20+ minutes.

Besides, if you feel the need for it, you could certainly use any amphibian- or LC-class unit with 0 speed to figure an already deployed bridge, which you would then use to load and unload units from one side of the river to the other.
Not sure how well it would work exactly (not mentionning how it would look! ), but if that's the kind of things you are specifically looking for, it may be marginally worth a test.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:12 PM

Private

Fair enough I guess - I will have to toy with this one - got the ARV to work and also made a quick GSP (Soviet) ferry to move heavy equipment over in river-crossings

Thanks,

Stephen
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:46 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Ferries can work, actually there are already some around, at least the icons exist.

Now the ARV is another problem, since it open doors for all kind of gamey exploits.
In game terms, an armored recovery vehicle is a transport vehicle with enough room to carry a tank and significant armor.
So, if you can carry a tank in it (OK, behind it, the result is the same for the game AFAIK), nothing prevents you from stuffing its virtual under-armor tank garage with infantry units, artillery or perfectly fit light armored vehicles by the shovelful.
And if you give it its full service speed as move points, it will be able to lug around any kind of unit up to max weight at 30 mph, under armour!

OK, I know, that's silly gamey tactics, but that's just creating a new opportunity for it.
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:00 AM

Corporal

Randy is on a distinguished road

There is the Timsakh ferry in the Israeli OOB. It seems to be based on the Brit/Germ M2 ferry. The icon is in the game, and its in the encyclopedia, but I couldn't find it in the actual game (maybe unless you are doing a river crossing). Anyway its listed as a heavy amphibian.