.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who here is a Vet?

There are some that would be automatic for a good players Veteran list whom I would shudder as a consideration for a team leader, or even a team player for that matter.

Here is an idea.
Since the goal is to find Team Leaders, one way to find one might be to scroll thru the MP Games forum and look at who started game threads and how smoothly they ran. Look at some of those threads to see who was capable in communicating with the players, suggesting compromises, and eventually making a decision which quickly ended arguments. The people who can handle thread management would make good leaders. There are people here who I love to see managing a game thread even if they are not the frequent winners of those games.

Of course you can bounce that list off of the recommended veterans list for people who have also been recommended as good players.

Gandalf Parker
--
Leading does not always mean being first.
In fact, it often means making sure that YOU are NOT first.
Old September 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
How will you account for continued skill development? We can't all be the best, but it's conceivable that one day there will be few or no new players - at some point, everyone who's left is probably experienced enough to be a "vet."

(1 set of votes per poster) + (no new posters) = no vet status for the newest vets
Hhhhmmmm, that's a good point. While myself and many others hope the day will never come when the flow of new players into the community would actually stop, I guess it is certainly a possibility. Even if it would be unwanted I'll find some way of dealing with it I guess. Perhaps everyone can be allowed to re-vote after 12/18/24 months?

I've had enough pushes to get a vets list done now I guess. The rest of this month is going to be busy in work, so doubt I'll get anything going before October now. But I'll put it on my to-do list for October. So keep an eye out for something then.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

The problem here is that your trying to apply a binary system to people, who are each unique in their own way. Each person has their own list of strengths and weaknesses, as well as their own interests. Its not really easy to digitize people as 'vets' no matter what standard you use.

I for example think I'm pretty good at running my own nations from early game to late. There have only been a handful of games where I did not see the very end of it, yet I've only won one of my games. I also don't seem to have a whole lot of luck with team games for one reason or another. Yet most of the games I've managed have run quite smoothly in my opinion.

I think it would be better to have a list of players where people nominate what their qualifications are. Qualifications could include things like accomplished modder, small game winner, effective rusher, dominions loremaster, and so on and so forth. A system of nomination would also allow for people's qualifications to increase over time as they improve their skills.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AreaOfEffect For This Useful Post:
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback and ideas AreaOfEffect. I can certainly see the benefits of asking each person to list a few of their talents and skills, and then pooling that data together in the first post (to allow updating)

Although not sure if that approach will work with everything though. Things like Modding Skill and Dom Knowledge should be fine, but if a system existed where all you had to do to be considered a 'vet' (or good rusher, turtler, nation manager, late-game player, call it what you will) was to say "Hello, my name is Paul, and I'm a Vet" then I can quickly see problems appearing.

The one thing I really want to avoid is to have constant questions raised, either on the public forum, or via private PM, about who should be called a vet. The one thing that would derail this project is posts or PM's like "ZXY said he's a vet so you put him on the list. Why? Surely you know he's rubbish". And the best way I can think of at present to avoid this happening is to have a voting system where a large percentage of players would have to agree with a persons 'vet' status before he/she became one. Although I'm certainly open to suggestions if anyone can think of other ways this scenario can be avoid.

But please keep the thoughts and ideas coming everyone. All very much appreciated. Real Life work pressures and commitments mean I'm a good week or two away from even thinking about this project yet, so the more ideas I have to work with when the time comes, the better the outcome will be (hopefully )
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM

Major

Like I said, determining who is a vet is clearly ambiguous and extremely subjective. In a system of qualifications I would never apply 'vet' status at all. Also, a system of nomination means that someone other then the player in question must bring up the vote to grant a qualification. Then a minimum number of players need to second the motion. Finally, the player up for nomination would have to agree that the qualification describes them.

Just a thought.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It might help to avoid some of the distaste for such a system if you widened the categories to other areas where the request for a "vet" comes up. Mods have been mentioned and of course some people come to mind right away such as Sombre. Others might be Maps, Game Generation, Graphics, Installation, possibly even as far as listing specific nations to get some idea of who people automatic think of when someone says they have a problem with that. That would give less of a binary "on the approved list or not" situation for more of a "everyone can be good at something" compromise. Rather like the various tv/movie awards
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
It might help to avoid some of the distaste for such a system if you widened the categories to other areas where the request for a "vet" comes up.
Yes, I should've been more specific.

Who here feels like enough of a vet to captain a team?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

Gandalf has 158 thanks - he's clearly your man
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaOfEffect View Post
Like I said, determining who is a vet is clearly ambiguous and extremely subjective. In a system of qualifications I would never apply 'vet' status at all. Also, a system of nomination means that someone other then the player in question must bring up the vote to grant a qualification. Then a minimum number of players need to second the motion. Finally, the player up for nomination would have to agree that the qualification describes them.

Just a thought.
clearly ambiguous ... lol = )
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
clearly ambiguous ... lol = )
chrispedersen, your a complete oxymoron.