.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Corporal

dita is on a distinguished road
Default AI control of player forces.

II think I may have answered this one myself, but I`ll ask here, just in case I`ve missed something.

In a user created scenario, if I make some of the formation AI controlled (via the roster), and then save the scenario, will that formation be AI controlled? Upon saving, it seemed to revert to human control when the scenario is played, does this get saved in a user scenario?

What I`m trying to do is have a section of helos, under AI control, land as reinforcements, with the reaction turn to, say 2 turns later, with the waypoints set to off the map. The idea that the player is to rendevous with the helos at the LZ, with only a set period of time for the player to load up, before they fly off.

Is this possible, or am I getting a bit carried away with trying to combine reinforcement, AI control, reaction turn and waypoints all together

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI control of player forces.

If you play a scenario as a human then, naturally, all formations will be reset to human control as that's who is playing the scenario.

The human payer can of course then choose to put some formations under AI control should he want to for some reason.

Cheers
Andy
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road

RE waypoints...I've had limited success with using waypoints (in all the SP variants), specifically in SPMBT when I want the AI to land troops via helicopters in a certain location. The transport helos have a mind of their own. I've followed the manual with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

AI transport helicopters will be landed by the AI where the AI transport helo routines decide, they will not follow waypoints. (These routines are there and used by the AI when it gets transport helos in a normal battle, it will decide the landing zone area for itself based on battle type, objective placement, and if it decides to drop onthe enemy rear zone to attack the gun line today etc)).

It is best to leave airmobile assault operations to the human player in a scenario, and never to the AI.

AI paradrops and gliders can be (and must be - it will not plot them for bombardment missions itself) programmed as part of the pre-game bombardment, the unloaded infantry will wander about towards the objectives - so OK for a scenario of say German (human) versus Allies in Normandy, or NZ versus Fallshirmjaeger in Crete, where random lost packets of paras cause problems for the defender as they pop up from unexpected places .

For helo operations - the AI will plot where it goes, so provide helo capable landing areas (open ground basically) near the objective clusters (and keep the objectives close by to avoid shotgun effects as the AI decides the LZ to use) and the AI will decide where it puts the desant LZ by itself. That will differ game by game. You will need to experiment with your scenario to find out what happens, over many test games.

Cheers
Andy
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road

Thanks Andy. Your usual excellent explanation.

And I thought those helo pilots were just being spiteful.

Beeg
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Corporal

dita is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I wasn`t sure if such information was "saved" when the scenario is designed and saved.