This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old December 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is your favourite weapon? (WW2 only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoffel View Post

I was playing a while back and a french unit had a rifle range of 12!

Don't know if any of the patches changed that but it was absolutely amazing, they must have been using .60 cal elephant guns or something

Big game curios & relics = Big firepower
That was the Mle 16 Rifle in weapons slot 231 and it was corrected to 10 in the 3.5 patch last December

Don

I wish you left it. Kinda made me nostalgic of the time when I watched Quigley Down Under during my formative years.

You wouldn't by any chance be thinking of putting it back in for the next patch?

In any case, you probably made a lot more people happy by making the game more accurate. It wouldn't be right to change the game to suit one person, because everyone would be effected.

Last edited by Kartoffel; December 1st, 2009 at 05:44 PM..
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljah View Post
Hi! I was just wandering, what weapon would be your choice...

My favourite weapon is Sturmgewehr44. I think it has a fantastic look and sounds nice. It was the father of all assault rifles. I guess the German technology was far more ahead then the allies.
Looks alot like the AK47 don't it? but is this a modern gun later than '45?
Theoretically it could have been manufactured after the ending of hostilities, I don't know when the StG 44 production ceased. However, The design it-self dates to before the wars end.

Last edited by Kartoffel; December 1st, 2009 at 05:46 PM..
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,716 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You wouldn't by any chance be thinking of putting it back in for the next patch?

We corrected an ERROR so I guess the answer to your question is .....no.

Don
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, Czechoslovakian vz.58 rifle looks also alot like AK and it's got completely different working, so it's more function dictating the shape.

By the way the thing on pic may well be post-WW2, AFAIK Yugoslavia manufactured them and Yugo paratroops used them as late as in 1980s, so there'd be a large surplus source methinks.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:59 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljah View Post
Hi! I was just wandering, what weapon would be your choice...

My favourite weapon is Sturmgewehr44. I think it has a fantastic look and sounds nice. It was the father of all assault rifles. I guess the German technology was far more ahead then the allies.
Theoretically it could have been manufactured after the ending of hostilities, I don't know when the StG 44 production ceased. However, The design it-self dates to before the wars end.
The magazine clip would have made it difficult to shoot from a prone position no wood hand hold on the barrel and looks stamped metal construction so maybe it was produced in small quanities in the end of the war in desparation and of course the ruskies captured it first and improved the design we all know now as the infamous ak47.

For all it's imperfections,

That's still a high dollar rifle.

Last edited by gila; December 3rd, 2009 at 06:26 AM..
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM

Corporal

So do you guys prefer the 8 hex automatic rifle or the 10 hex bolt?

Quote:
For me it is not worth losing 2 hexes of max range for more effective close quarters combat. I like the standard bolt-action rifle because it fits my tactics of engaging the enemy as far away as possible. If I do go have to go close quarters the stats for the bolts aren't a deal breaker.

--------St. Thomas Aquinas
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

I'd trade the 2 hex range difference for larger kill (or for the need to have one squad per platoon with SMGs with according penalties).
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Generally speaking, I'll go for the range extension, all other things being equal.

If it is an SLR, like the garand or FAL, I'll take that over the M16 or AK option every time. e.g in MBT if playing South Africa or Cuba in Namibia, both have options for battle rifle or assault rifle at certain times. The SLR is almost as effective as the AsR, beyond a hex or 2, and the 2 hexes can make the difference in the open terrain.

Therefore, the full calibre "battle rifle" SLR is my favourite weapon, in 99% of all cases, WW2 or MBT. Backed up with an equivalent range LMG of course!.

The AsR is still much better than the SMG, and if you remember the 2 hex advantage the bolt or SLR has, and move tactically using cover so the encounters tend to be at 8 or less, you are gold. Provided the AsR team has a full-calibre LMG for the long range engagements (9-10) that might (will!) occur. But try to disengage from any such, or at least close if necessary!.

An AsR team (+LMG) is still a good choice for "desant" mounted tactics if you like to storm your transports right into close range and hose folks down. As is the SMG, but with the requirement to get that bit closer. But desant tactics are very reliant on your initial preparation of the target (Suppressed or routed by other weapons, usually arty and tank fire).

So - AsR is OK for mech inf, but less so for leg inf, IMHO.

If you can guarantee that your battles will usually be at close range, then the AsR is also a good choice. Think Vietnam, or other jungle stuff (Burma?). SMG as well then (Stalingrad say), but they can really lose out if caught in a clearing or down a road etc.

AsR is therefore a good choice for "jungle bunnies" then. SMG less so.

SMG is really not good for "leg" grunts if they have to walk forwards (e.g attacking) unsupported. SMG with no attached LMG are particularly weak, they have no way to reply to longer ranged weapons, and can be shot down like dogs. Defending, they can use cover, if there is any (even rear slope ambush). But not out in the open, even in trenches. SMG troops really have to rely on their supporting arms (arty, mortars, HMG, T-70). If attacking, then they are best used behind a Soviet-style massive barrage, for executing smashed up enemy the arty did not quite dispose of, and using the masking provided by the smoke and crud of the barrage itself to avoid long range fire-fights. The AsR is a much better choice if available, even the SKS(8)/M1 Carbine(5) type weapon is a better choice if available than the 3 hex range SMG IMHO.

I do not bother with SMG troops much in any core. Perhaps organise a Guards platoon with 2 rifle sections and an SMG one if the SMG has something otherwise useful (AT mines?). Otherwise, SMG troops are support, and bought for a particular tactical purpose (city fight, or a 2 hex visibility night action - esp defensive). So, I might take AsR troops in the core, depending.

But overall, the best "long" the infantry can have in SP type games is the SLR in 7.62 NATO or other "battle rifle" calibre. And squads without a battle rifle calibre LMG are poor value.

The bolt action full-bore rifle is something else I'll take over any SMG troops, if backed with an LMG. In open type warfare, I may well even prefer the bolt over the AsR for those 2 hexes as well. If playing a WW2 GE LC, I stick to the Kar98 bolt rifle groups.

But the basic rule of infantry combat really is - don't leave home without a section LMG.

Andy
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

the 10 hex bolt 99% of the time.

Narwan