.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM

Private

Vellon is on a distinguished road
Default Vellon\'s Dom3Blog

I've been playing doms3 for around six months on and off with a good friend of mine in the EA. Over the past few games he has been solidly kicking my *** as Mictlan despite my best efforts. In order to improve my game I've begun writing a Doms3 Blog in order to force myself to think and learn more each turn I play.

I'm currently blogging my way through a very small single player game with three AIs. You can follow along at http://dom3story.blogspot.com/ any comments, tips or criticism are appreciated.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vellon\'s Dom3Blog

That's a very nice blog!
Quote:
Vellon said:
I've been playing doms3 for around six months on and off with a good friend of mine in the EA. Over the past few games he has been solidly kicking my *** as Mictlan despite my best efforts.
With what, double or triple blessed jaguars? Then that's no wonder. You can fight fire with fire and take one of the Heims or tell him to pick something more reasonable.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM

Private

Vellon is on a distinguished road

Double I think. They're tough but playing as Pangaea I fought a delaying war against him while researching conjuration to summon chaff and evocation for blade wind. Sending out raids with stealthy satyrs to kill off his blood blood economy helped a lot to. I don't think it's impossible to defeat him without a heavy bless nation.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

It isn't impossible, but it certainly is not an easy task as the odds are on his side. You're the handicapped one here.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Try getting a blood economy for yourself : that sounds like the only way you haven't tried.
* Darwi Odrade
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

It's good to see an AAR in blog form, and I agree with you that writing turn-by-turn reports really helps one improve strategy.

The only choice I disagree with so far is that you went order/misfortune over turmoil/luck. But that's just because I'm sucker for a game of dice. Especially for a small quick game.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

One thing to note is that priestesses can't heal old age afflictions. Only Gift of Health and the Chalice can do that.

They're great for battle wounds, though.

I've never been able to figure out what to do with EA Arco. The philosophers want a sloth scale, but the decent troops are all high research. The Wind Riders, IMO, aren't quite good enough to build a bless around.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Corporal

Mozkito is on a distinguished road

Although a bit off topic,I would appreciate if you answered this question for me. Its a 1v1 and a small random map, and I am MA Marignon. Was it a mistake to go Order/Misfortune over turmoil/luck?

Although a short game, the income has really turned things over in my favor!
Although those damn hurricanes...
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you've got the right idea in raiding him and heading for blade wind. You should also consider the more mundane counter early on - archers. As Pangea, centaur archers are a bit expensive, but if you can land a couple indie shortbow provinces you should be able to field several archers for each jaguar once you account for crappy Mictlan scales and holy recruitment limits. A hundred short bows will tear up some jaguar warriors as they're trying to make it through your meanads, even if they've got an astral bless. Another potential counter is minotaurs. Goldwise you come out ahead if each minotaur kills more than two jaguars before dying, a feat not at all hard to if you're clever enough to let the minotaurs get the first hit in. Once you get haste researched think of a squad of minotaurs as a missile - it'll tear straight through large formations causing great damage before expiring.

On the raiding front, remember not just to target his blood hunters but also to target his high income provinces. If he's blood hunting he's gonna be relatively short on gold, it can be surprisingly easy to cripple his economy as he's trying to ramp up to demons. A lot of people miss this, if he's not got gold he's either got to completely forgo recruiting troops (not feasible until late game) or "turn off" some blood hunters. Also, consider spells which raise unrest. Monster boar and rain of toads can be great compliments to a raiding strategy and greatly compound your economic advantage. They also can greatly hamper his bloodhunting as it's not practical to place domes over many of the blood hunting sites and unrest raisers make blood hunting almost impossible.