.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 29th, 2004, 02:12 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Jibjab, Politics, the Big Bang and more!

Quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
Even if there is only a .0000000001% chance that God does exist is more then enough reason to do what's right or risk burning in Hell eternally.
If there was a Dog who condemned people to eternal damnation in fire for not worshiping him, that Dog doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

He'd be a sadist of the worst non-consensual kind, insane, and malicious. Of course, the Bible does give some supporting evidence.

After all - a being who could design and create all the things in the universe singlehandedly would, beyond all doubt or question, be a genius of divine magnitude.

On a good day, his finest creations might well be perfection itself, or damn near. And the finest of these near perfect creations, these ... angels, might see that his creator, his overlord, was in fact a certifiable pathological monster, and rebel against him.

Lucifer, anyone?

(And anyone who both believes hir Bible to be the exact holy writ of Dog, _and_ doesn't believe God to be a monster, hasn't read very carefully. Infants slaughtered by divine decree, god approving of children being torn into pieces for mocking one of his holy prophets (one of the _very_ few who supposed was "ascended" directly into heaven without having to die first) Even the Divine Lottery - if you were born in ... Italy, you go to heaven. If you were born in .. China - hell. If you had a priest at your deathbed - heaven. If you didn't - hell. If (back in the old day) you had enough lambs to sacrifice - heaven. Too poor to own lambs? Hell.)
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Because it's funny? Let's face it: If you were an all-powerful being with such capabilities, why would you bother creating the universe at all, if not for the sheer entertainment value involved in doing so? Clearly, if there's a God, he's a very bored individual with too much time on his hands. I mean, hell, look at me. I'm just a retired old coot, and I'm bored and have too much time on my hands. What must it be like to be immortal and all-powerful, living for all eternity? Must be damn boring. I'd sure do something whacky like creating a universe or two.

If God exists, the platypus is proof that he has a sense of humor.
Getting bored? That would suggest that god is actually sentient in a human way. It is easy to imagine god as an elderly man with a long beard, so we can actually understand him. But maybe got is much more abstract than we can imagine. Maybe "god" is just a mathematical term that defines the laws of nature. Or maybe god is the complete soulmatter of every living being, including you and me?
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormbinder:
But all his bizzare stories about his very own T34 that he drives around
You want me to show you a site you can buy some of this stuff?

http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/

Go get your own. They're not THAT hard to get, you know.

No thanks. Why don't you post picture of YOU on top of your tank instead, in your undeground bunker? That would be at least *some* proof to your lunatic claims.

Quote:
quote:
and his duels with LAWS and guns on the highways
I think you may have greatly exaggerated the magnitude of the actual shootout. It doesn't work that way in real life. Too many movies for you, Storm. [/QB]
I am just repeating you own words silly, in case you have forgoten already. You said you have used LAWS weapons to blown up cars with some unknown dudes on the highway, who were shooting at you with their automatic weapons for no apparent reason. Perhaps too much Holywood did influenced your unstable mind, but I have no way of telling.

[ July 29, 2004, 01:26: Message edited by: Stormbinder ]
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinzMegaherz:
Getting bored? That would suggest that god is actually sentient in a human way. It is easy to imagine god as an elderly man with a long beard, so we can actually understand him. But maybe got is much more abstract than we can imagine.
I can't think of any other analogue that would explain why a being would willfully create the universe, an object which seems to serve no particular purpose.

Quote:
Maybe "god" is just a mathematical term that defines the laws of nature.
Yes, but if this is the case, then "god" as defined in any religious text, does not exist, since a mathematical term is not a being.

Quote:
Or maybe god is the complete soulmatter of every living being, including you and me?
That also doesn't fit the depiction as given by mainstream religion. Once again, such a thing is not a position to possess any sort of volition or ability to act independently, or to perform acts such as creating the universe, or consigning people to burn in hell for all eternity.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:27 AM

Major General

Quote:
No thanks. Why don't you post picture of YOU on top of your tank instead, in your undeground bunker? That would be at least *some* proof to your lunatic claims.
Even if I wanted to do such a thing, who would hold the camera?

Quote:
I am just repeating you own words silly, in case you have forgoten already. You said you used LAWS weapons to blown up cars with some unknown dudes on the highway, who were shooting at you with their automatic weapons for no apperent reason.
No, I did not. I said I attempted to aim one at such an enemy vehicle, but did not get a clean line of fire, so didn't actually fire it. I also never said that dudes on the highway were firing automatic weapons at me. They appeared to be armed with standard, semi-automatic pistols and rifles. You are greatly exaggerating the case, as I said. Small shootouts like this happen with not-uncommon frequency.

[ July 29, 2004, 01:31: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:31 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That also doesn't fit the depiction as given by mainstream religion. Once again, such a thing is not a position to possess any sort of volition or ability to act independently, or to perform acts such as creating the universe, or consigning people to burn in hell for all eternity.
Does it not? Lets take Budhism. If a soul has experienced everything there is to experience (after it has lived many lifes), it dissolves into Brahman, which is actually beginning and end of everything at once. I am not sure whether Brahman is supposed to be a sentient being. In any case, its much less prone to logical errors than our religion(in my case catholic).
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Soapyfrog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I did not. I said I attempted to aim one at such an enemy vehicle, but did not get a clean line of fire, so didn't actually fire it. I also never said that dudes on the highway were firing automatic weapons at me. They appeared to be armed with standard, semi-automatic pistols and rifles. You are greatly exaggerating the case, as I said. Small shootouts like this happen with not-uncommon frequency.
Oh yeah, many's the week I've had to run and gun my way through packs of drunken welfare hoboes (who have kept themselves alive on universal medicare) armed with 38 specials and rusty kitchen knives on my way home from work.

Thank god I can sit down an play Dominions 2 to take the edge off.
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:50 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Even if I wanted to do such a thing, who would hold the camera?

ROFL. This is the lamest excuse I ever heard. You may take a cigar. Ever heard of auto-shoot cameras? Where you set up a few seconds timer and go "cheese"? Even cheapest soapbox cameras have it these days. Or better just ask your parents to press a button, frankly I am starting to believe the Graeme's "stupid teenager living with his parents" Version, based upon your recent Posts.

Quote:
quote:
I am just repeating you own words silly, in case you have forgoten already. You said you used LAWS weapons to blown up cars with some unknown dudes on the highway, who were shooting at you with their automatic weapons for no apperent reason.
That's not how you described it. You really have to remeber your nut stories better, you know.

[ July 29, 2004, 03:55: Message edited by: Stormbinder ]
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

[quote]Originally posted by Stormbinder:
Quote:
ROFL. This is the lamest excuse I ever heard. You may take a cigar. Ever heard of auto-shoot cameras? Where you set up a few seconds timer and go "cheese"? Even cheapest soapbox cameras have it these days. Or better just ask your parents to press a button, frankly I am starting to believe the Graeme's "stupid teenager living with his parents" Version, based upon your recent Posts.
So, Stormwhiner - do you get wood when insulting your obsession?
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Major General

Quote:
ROFL. This is the lamest excuse I ever heard. You may take a cigar. Ever heard of auto-shoot cameras? Where you set up a few seconds timer and go "cheese"? Even cheapest soapbox cameras have it these days.
Yes, but this still necessitates I have somebody or something *AIM* and *HOLD* the camera. They don't just hover in the air, you know.

Quote:
That's not how you described it. You really have to remeber your nut stories better, you know.
Given that you never listen to anything I say anyway, it's clearly your memory that is at fault here.