.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TucoTuco

I doubt it's easy to find a more experienced player than Natpy is, really. Possible but still not easy.
Someone plays for fun, someone plays for victory. If you are from second category then it makes absolutely no sense to play when you have no chances to win. It is my point of view, not his.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Well, it is "sort of" bad etiquette to just drop the game with no warning though.

The problem is, in Dom, adding in an AI dramatically changes the way the game is played. It's generally considered to be a large advantage to the neighbors, since the AI isn't as clever at waging war, so can be easily annexed. On the other hand, it's also a serious problem for anyone with much of a border who was NAPed to that nation, as the AI may start rampaging at any given moment, they love raiding.

But at the same time, if you offer the nation for a sub, often someone will join just for the challenge of the unfavorable position. As you just pointed out Fakey, it gives a great chance to try out something wacky and risky, for the fun of it.

So in summation, don't just randomly drop out, it's not nice.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
ano said:
I doubt it's easy to find a more experienced player than Natpy is, really. Possible but still not easy.
Someone plays for fun, someone plays for victory. If you are from second category then it makes absolutely no sense to play when you have no chances to win. It is my point of view, not his.
But again, like I was saying, it's not fair to the other people in the game. At least some effort should be made to avoid the AI, which most people seem to agree shouldn't be done except in very extreme cases (game won't continue, or nation will just stale forever), or if the nation is all but completely destroyed with absolutely no options whatever.

Bandar Log is still big in this game, there were options. Maybe not "high victory probability" options, but again, if someone is likely to go AI the minute they don't think they are in a good position to win the game, some hosts may stop letting them sign up for games. At least, I wouldn't allow a player who made a habit of just going AI at the first sign of trouble.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

Fakeymcfake is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's what I thought was odd about Napty dropping out at this stage in the game. It's still really damned early and he honestly wasn't doing that bad. Heck, I'd stay on for the sake of experience, even if I knew I didn't have a chance in hell of winning I'd try to be the biggest headache (in game) to everyone else as I possibly could be until they finally eliminated me.

But whatever, at the moment I'm just annoyed I didn't have any provinces bordering his, all that free(ish) land and a capital if you are quick about it. For those of you who are sitting next to these newly vacated (sorta) lands, let the race begin.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Sergeant

Cerlin is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the Arco...My main army and his god army collided in an indie province and I killed his SC pretender by accident. So I took advantage of the situation....

"Luck is what others call skill when they have none." - Phelean Wolf
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cerlin said:
Sorry about the Arco...My main army and his god army collided in an indie province and I killed his SC pretender by accident. So I took advantage of the situation....
No worries ,it's war. There's always going to be winners and losers.
And it was no accident that you killed my Pretender.
I moved the Wyrm there specifically to kill you.
Just didn't turn out as scripted.
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Corporal

Darkstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ano said:
Since this is a newbie game, shouldn't pretty much almost everyone be more experienced?

I don't know the chances of getting a sub or not, but we could have given it a shot.

Also losing a pretender shouldn't translate into a no chance to win.

In fact, based on the situation around him, he was in a pretty decent spot, especially now that he could take advantage of Arco's lack of defense and expansion.

All this is besides the point, if he couldn't/didn't want to play, that's not that big a deal, just the going AI without saying a word is unfortunate for the game, even if it does unfairly benefit me.

--

Was the wyrm outside your dominion or something?
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:28 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Darkstone said:

--

Was the wyrm outside your dominion or something?

No I believe I had 4-5 candle strength in that particular province when it was killed.

But the only way to get it back is the call god option right? The text mentioned that takes alot of mages along time to acomplish. I'm not sure I have that much time.
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:45 AM

Corporal

Darkstone is on a distinguished road

I believe it's 40 levels of priests. So ten lvl 2 priests calling god for 2 turns would do it.

I realize that with Ashdod breathing down your neck that may not be enough...
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Lieutenant General

It's 50. Not a huge deal later in the game, for most nations. Early on, it's a lot of waiting around.