ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 3rd, 2000, 12:17 PM

Corporal

eagleton is on a distinguished road
Default Upsmarting the AI and sim turn

Hello everyone,
I just sent this to Malfador. What do you think about it? In my view these should be relatively easy ways to upsmart the AI.
The changes in sim turn are much harder to achieve, I fear.

"Here's a few ideas about making the AI still better:

a) I think one PDC for a dreadnought is not enough in many situations, for example when I attack them with many fighters or seeker weapons. It would be cool if the AI could adapt to different enemys and use different amounts of PDC's. Second best solution, I think, would be 2 PDC's per dreadnought (maybe smaller ships, too). Also possible could be a limitation of 1PDC for human players , but I don't like this idea too much.

b) Many AI-attack ships don't have combat sensors. When I have combat sensors III, that's an advantage of 60% which makes them too easy to beat. I think combat sensors (when researched) should be obligatory for AI-attack ships. The Abbidon and the Amonkrie never had them on their ships, which leads me to

c) Some AI races rarely develop new ships in the later stages of the game. In my game, the Amonkrie and Abbidon always use the same attack-dreadnought design (without combat sensors and with Ion Engines III, year 2462!) that has proven chanceless against my ships, yet they keep on building them as their only attack ship! Other races as the Piundon and the Drushocka don't use outdated technology, but the Drushocka neither use Combat Sensors nor ECM. I have included the zip of my actual (and first!) game so you can have a look at it in case it's unique.

A few thoughts about sim turn. The ideal in my eyes would be:
When turn ends the game should not shut down (I have no idea why it does) and sends the files automatically to a host who puts them all together automatically and sends the turn back to all players. This would make LAN games really fun, as I don't want to reload the games 30 times in one evening. There must be another way."