Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Game Idea For Shrapnel

RTS 4x Earth Based Conquest Game.

I have played nearly every RTS Earth combat game out, and what I have discovered is that I don’t really like them. What I want in a game about Earth is what I get in SEIV. To that end, I have looked for games that would provide it and have to find one. Most deal with unit combat over a small area.

The Civ series are good game, but they lack the game features and feel that I want.

The closes I have come to finding what I wanted were Axis & Allies and Risk both by Microprose. But those games were so limited in their scope and scale that they weren’t a real games at all, but more of a short-term hour-long game.

What I would love to see, and if possible, is a 4x game such as SEIV mixed together with a game like Axis & Allies. So in other words, its a game with about 20 opponent located around the world (Earth) who build up armies, fleets, aircraft, and infrastructure much the same way that it is done in SEIV except that it is based on Earth. They expand their influence by exploring the globe and exploiting the natural resources. They can wage war and exterminate their enemies or make alliance. Build cities (much like planets) and develop them by building facilities and infrastructure.

Basically put a World Conquest game that incorporates all the features of 4x gaming.
Old May 15th, 2002, 05:55 AM

Private

Atilla the Pun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Idea For Shrapnel

Check out Civilizaition:Called to Power from Activision. It should be in the bargin bin if you can find it at all. It's as programable as SEIV (from what I know of SEIV). Called to Power 2 is also as programmable but may not support multiplayer as well as the first one.

Check the Apolyton Civilization Site CTP and CTP2 forums for more info.

AtP

AtP
Old May 16th, 2002, 02:33 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Just to save people a little search time, the title is Civilization: Call to Power.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 16th, 2002, 05:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Gillissie is on a distinguished road

Atrocities,

I have also dreamed of such a game, and have considered making it myself. As a matter of fact, I once did on my Amiga years ago, but it was all text-based. But the ideas were all there. Civ 3 was close, but still very primitive considering the source.
Old May 17th, 2002, 09:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Caqnq you miss the point. The civ series do not offer the kind of game play that I am talking about. Go play Axis and Allies the imagine that game on a grand scale such as SEIV with more types of Ships, tanks, troops, facilities, etc.
Old May 17th, 2002, 10:56 PM

Sergeant

Jmenschenfresser is on a distinguished road

Back when I was in high school, I made a boardgame from scratch just on this subject. Had lots of units...they weren't customizable in the SE4 sense, but anything could be added. Cities, factories, etc etc.

Even made a board that was 120x120. Took forever to color in.

And after all that work, I never even played it once, as I knew of no one with the same interests in strategy gaming.

I'd also like to see such a game, Atrocities. I'd even like to see a hybrid of SE4 type and what are proposing. Ah well...
Old May 18th, 2002, 04:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ya know, its the game we maved and never played that eat at us. I developed two games, one a RPG Forum game. The other was an RPG World conquest game. Neither ever were played yet they could have been.

If I could program, and had the time and interest to stay with such a project, I would have 3 games that would be made.

You know all the Dungen games and such? Well update them to modern times. Keep the RPG as quests and such, but the players get weapons such as M-16, Colt 45's, etc.

I could not think of anything more fun than to have 6 people in my party walking through a dungen wasting a bunch of dead beat dead guys with sords. LOL.. Seriously, most of the UNIT games that are out are RTS and not RPG. The market his whole un-tapped right now.
Old May 19th, 2002, 10:22 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Caqnq you miss the point
No, you missed mine. I wasn't commenting on your idea at all; I was just correcting the error in AtP's recommendation, in case anyone else wants to check C:CtP out.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 20th, 2002, 03:12 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
Caqnq you miss the point. The civ series do not offer the kind of game play that I am talking about. Go play Axis and Allies the imagine that game on a grand scale such as SEIV with more types of Ships, tanks, troops, facilities, etc.
Cap'nQ was kind enough to point out my misnaming of the game. The game Civilization:Call to Power, and it's sequel Call to Power 2 are both Civ-like games that are as moddable (is that a word?) as SEIV. Since I have recently seen CTP2 at Sam's Club for $9.95 US I would highly recommend getting it. If you don't like (even after d/l'ing the excellent mods from the Apolyton site and/or learning the scripting language (SLIC) and making your own mods) you're still out less than $10. And I'd be willing to bet you'll get more fun out of that $10 than you got out of the $50 you spent on Civ3.

Edit: Note to self, learn to spell...

[ May 31, 2002, 05:50: Message edited by: Atilla the Pun ]

AtP
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:52 AM

Private

Atrocities,
You might also want to check out Clash of Civilizations, a freelance project currently under development. The BBS for CoC is on Apolyton and they'll have links to the CoC Web page. There is a demo, it requires the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) from Sun. They have a link on the CoC page to that as well. This is NOT just another Civ clone.

AtP

AtP