.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Corporal

RT-Baseman is on a distinguished road
Disk Betio Island, November 20-23, 1943

Hi all,

i'll made a try to simulate the landing on Betio Island/Tarawa Atoll from November 20 to November 23, 1943 in one scenario. It is a very large scenario, because you'll use all the historic landing beaches (Red 1 - 3 and Green beach) and the known attacking and defending troops are in place (please read the notes in the scenario!).

I think there are some things which can be done better in the scenario, but i need your ideas and help to finish a version 1.0, if you want.

The scenario number is 390! Please take care whether the number is already in use in your winspww2 copy. Created with winspww2, version 3.5

enjoy

Chris

Note: New version 0.97 in the download (03-06-09)!
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn390.zip (89.6 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by RT-Baseman; March 6th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: New Version 0.97
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Betio Island, November 20-23, 1943

oooh, this looks nice, I'll try it out and give you a quick review.
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
You could try comparing it against the Betito scenario at #49, and map #29, while you are at it.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Thanks a lot!!

I'll post shortly a list of known errors or questions i had during the design. This will make a review more effectiv and you don't need list them once again.

Greetings

Chris
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Corporal

as announced...

Known errors/questions:

General

- Betio is a little to big.

Japanese

- Question: Found in all sources the deployment of four 140mm guns at Betio (hex 16/106, 16/104, 32/34 and 33/34). No matching weapon id found -> chose "150mm Type 89 FG" instead and only name of unit was changed. Any idea?

- Error: Some squads deployed scattered at the island -> command chain error

- Error: Maybe the reinforcement turns must be adusted to prevent a counter attack (the historical counter attack!) from the rear of the marines. In playtesting the reinforcement turns were approx. correct, but maybe my advance was to slow

- Probable Error: The defence at the south side of Betio can fire (have fire positions) without restrictions to the north. I think the japanese had established a beach defence (doctrine) -> the main fire direction was the sea. One Result: Some "interesting" occurrences in the japanese indirect fire phase.

Marines

- Question: No way found to chance the main guns of BB USS Tennesse and BB USS Maryland. 14in Naval Gun and 16in Naval Gun have no selectable weapon id in November 1943. Any idea (because i need some more free units)? No mistake in gameplay, if the individual BB turrets target different targets in the real assault. I know this is possible (i spend eight years in the army as FDC), but don't think so; i imagine only 1 or 2 target per BB. CA, CL and DD are designed in the same manner. Do you have any informations about the FDC on battleships?

- Error: Some units deployed scattered in the landing vehicles -> command chain error.

- Error: The "Rubber boats" are no rubber boats (Green Beach) -> Unit Limit reached.

- Error: Maybe the reinforcement turns must be adjusted in some cases.

- Probable error: Haven't read about a smokescreen in the assault. But this is needed in gameplay to reach the island without disastrous looses (playtested).

Greetings

Chris
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

You could try comparing it against the Betito scenario at #49, and map #29, while you are at it.

Looking now

Scenario #49 and Map #29 are basically around the northern end of the island, and you come in mainly after the battleships have pounded the island and inflicted casualties on the defenders.

Baseman's scenario is more of a full (as close as you can get within SPCAMO games) representation of the island, you have the southern half as well, and starts when the battleship bombardment is underway (go USS Maryland!)

His scenario is a bit TOO big for me to handle; it's truly a giant scenario, hitting the 500 unit limit on both sides.
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Good scenario, but there are too many units, im used to handle a battalion or less, but that looks like waaay more D:, a few problems with the BBs, guns, instead of making 4 turrets with 2 guns each, you should make 2 turrets with 4guns each to prevent players form being able to pound every single inch of the island, and whats the shallow water line doing there? you want a coral reef?
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
Good scenario, but there are too many units, im used to handle a battalion or less, but that looks like waaay more D:, a few problems with the BBs, guns, instead of making 4 turrets with 2 guns each, you should make 2 turrets with 4guns each to prevent players form being able to pound every single inch of the island, and whats the shallow water line doing there? you want a coral reef?
Hi,

thanks for your comments! Indeed it is a huge scenario (like scenarion 323). You are in command of 24 companys of Marines and supporting troops. Playable are 430 units (without bombardment units); this includes 80 transportation units, which must "only" moved on the map to unload troops and the way back. It's only a scenarion for long afternoons/nights.

As wrote earlier, my opinion was to design a scenarion as near as possible to the historical given facts. Maybe a campaign was the better solution? What do you think?

Yes, i had problems with the BB turrets (wrote in topic 4). You have any idea to chance the number of guns? The 16in and 14in are not selectable in November 1943.

The shallow water line represents the riff around Betio. In scenario #49 you'll find land hexes around the island to make it impassable for LVTP's. This is one way to simulate it and force the player to unload his troop from the Transport units at this point. In my scenario the marines (wave 4 - 6) start without transports at the riff. I think the aproach of the LVTP's wasn't a necessary gameplay benefit and the problems in real occured after the riff was reached. Without land filled hexes the following waves are able to move over the reef with there landing crafts because of high tide.

Greetings

Chris
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Corporal

Quote:
...to prevent players form being able to pound every single inch of the island...
Hi,

i think you'll need the amount of firepower and the ability to pound every single inch of the island twice. In my last playtested game i'm in turn 31, have just assaulted over the runway from Red 1 and have spend more than 60 percent of the avaiable ammo...and still enemys everywhere...need more ammo.

Greetings

Chris
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-Baseman View Post
Quote:
Hi,

thanks for your comments! Indeed it is a huge scenario (like scenarion 323). You are in command of 24 companys of Marines and supporting troops. Playable are 430 units (without bombardment units); this includes 80 transportation units, which must "only" moved on the map to unload troops and the way back. It's only a scenarion for long afternoons/nights.

As wrote earlier, my opinion was to design a scenarion as near as possible to the historical given facts. Maybe a campaign was the better solution? What do you think?

Yes, i had problems with the BB turrets (wrote in topic 4). You have any idea to chance the number of guns? The 16in and 14in are not selectable in November 1943.

The shallow water line represents the riff around Betio. In scenario #49 you'll find land hexes around the island to make it impassable for LVTP's. This is one way to simulate it and force the player to unload his troop from the Transport units at this point. In my scenario the marines (wave 4 - 6) start without transports at the riff. I think the aproach of the LVTP's wasn't a necessary gameplay benefit and the problems in real occured after the riff was reached. Without land filled hexes the following waves are able to move over the reef with there landing crafts because of high tide.

Greetings

Chris
yeah, a campaign may solve most of the unit problems, like the iwo jima campaign that ships with the game, for the BB turrets, use the "D" key to equip them yourself, and the 14in BB is firing 16in, to get those guns you may want to change date to get them, then got back to the original date, and yes the 16 and 14 inch gust are selectable in november 43, just google them in there