.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM

Private

Juramentado is on a distinguished road
Question File Header and Unable to Delete Errors

Hi Folks,

I searched for these terms, but no hits. I'm getting File Header Errors and Unable to Delete Errors when renumbering campaigns. I'm not sure what's going on. It started when I wanted to move the Sinai built-in campaign since the UN campaign from Wargamer wanted to occupy that slot, and I wanted to preserve both. The campaign wouldn't move and kept giving me File Header Errors. Strange. I left it alone overnight, tried again today and now it seems to have moved somewhat, but the old information in the Slot cannot be deleted. Am I missing something?
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Computer Re: File Header and Unable to Delete Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juramentado View Post
Hi Folks,

I searched for these terms, but no hits. I'm getting File Header Errors and Unable to Delete Errors when renumbering campaigns. I'm not sure what's going on. It started when I wanted to move the Sinai built-in campaign since the UN campaign from Wargamer wanted to occupy that slot, and I wanted to preserve both. The campaign wouldn't move and kept giving me File Header Errors. Strange. I left it alone overnight, tried again today and now it seems to have moved somewhat, but the old information in the Slot cannot be deleted. Am I missing something?

Maybe the campaigns that are included with the game are hardcoded in place. Try using an unused slot to add any new campaigns.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: File Header and Unable to Delete Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juramentado View Post
Hi Folks,

Are these "errors" being reported by the in-game scenario editor, or are these Widows O/S errors?.

If this campaign is an SPMBT one - then it may be an old one from the DOS days?.

If it is Operating System errors - then check if the files are read only. If not - then you may have disk problems perhaps? - run the disk cleaner utility in Windows, to eliminate such.

Andy
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Are you trying to use CampaignHack to do this or are you trying to do it manually ?

If you are trying to use CampaignHack tell us exactly what steps you are taking so we can try to duplicate it on our machines

If you are trying to use CampaignHack to renumber that campaign are you clicking on slot 001 then picking a new slot for it and then pressing "renumber" ?

If yes to all of the above it works OK for me

Are you using Vista or Win7 OS?

Don
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM

Private

Hello Folks,

Skirmisher - I cannot use any empty slot. Whoever uploaded the UN Campaign and the CENTAG78 campaigns used pre-existing slots already occupied by the game's built-in scenarios. I'm not sure how to rename them by hand or if that's even possible.

Andy - I think it's the application. Please see the screenshot that I've attached to the this reply.

Don - yes to CampaignHack (v1.01 - is there a newer one maybe?) and I am using the exact same steps you just outlined. I am running Win 7 OS 32-bit.

Thanks for all the assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spcph-del.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	10685  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No there is no newer version. v1.01 is the one everyone has

Here's a couple of somewhat unrelated questions

When you installed the game did you put it in the default Program files location or did you install it someplace else ? Check it's location and ensure that the Campaigns folder is physically in the same place as the main game ( Vista / Win7 sometimes does "creative" things )

When you find the campaigns folder look for UCAMP001.DAT and check it's properties and let me know if it's been changed to read only status. If it has, un-check that so that it's a changeable file then go and try moving it again.

As an aside if this campaign you want to try has not been updated since it was first released there is a very good chance there will be problems with the units but that depends on what nations are involved. There have been massive reworking of some OOB's and weapons data in the past couple of years and each release usually sees dozens of scenarios revised in the patches and a number of campaigns have been massaged as well

Don
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Just a thought here but why are you doing it that way in any case.
Extract the new campagins to a folder called say temp.
Start Campaign Hack nav to that folder & renumber them.
Now just copy them into your campaign folder.

Cant see the files becoming read only unless you mucked about but as someone said if you accepted default install to programs the system could be hiding the files.

Either way doing a fulldisk check would not cause any harm as would say thats your other problem.
Best done overnight unless you have a small drive
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM

Private

No dice Folks.

Don - program is installed in default C:\Program Files\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\WINSPMBT\

File Attributes - Read Only and Hidden are OFF.

I checked effective permissions from WINSPMBT down - I have Full Control using the current account that I play with.

John - tried renumbering in place when I unpacked to a temp directory, no go. Getting the File Header Error. It's a brand new drive, no disk errors from OS level.

I also repermissioned WINSPMBT down explicitly with my own account rather than relying on privileged Built-In group memberships.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

So we know what the problem is as has been said twice now.

Quote:
as someone said if you accepted default install to programs the system could be hiding the files
This is exactly what you just said you did & why it does not work, the system has lost track of the files unless accessed through its parent program, in this case MBT.
You are trying to move ghost files.
There is a sticky thread explaining it all MBT & Vista applies to Win 7 to if you want to read it but in a nutshell.

DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING IN PROGRAM FILES & you wont have any problems.
Exception is security stuff like anti virus firewall seem fine in there some might be better

Reinstall anywhere else & it will work fine.

I could give you the work around to switch off what it does but the easy solution is in capitals above just make a folder called games or something & stick it in there.

In the unlikely event this does not work you have a disk problem & need to run diskcheck as have already said.

Try deleting or moving a saved game using explorer or whatever you use or for that matter a word document you created if words in program files.
You probably cant because its a ghost not the real file.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Try re-installing the game outside of Program files. One problem I am investigating right now is the installer for V1 of both games was created before Vista / Win7 was released. The Installers issued since then all allow the following ( highlighting mine )

Quote:

Vista/Win7: Run as administrator

Vista/Win7 only : if this option is not selected, the installer will be executed with normal privileges. If this option is selected, the installer will be executed with elevated privileges. Note: this option should be selected for 99% of the installers, as it is required if, for example, you install files to a sub-directory of the Program Files directory.
That was not an option back when the installers that both the basic v1 DL and CD version of both games were created as neither OS was released and everybody thought installing in Program files was a "good idea".

I have set that variable on for any patches we have released since those OS's were released but the real issue is the basic games all do not have that set and this *MAY* be why many people with some versions of Vista and Win7 MUST install the games outside of Program Files so try re-installing in C: and let us know if that solves your problem.

Don