This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Kwok\'s next Mod

I've started to put together my next mod. Right now I'm tentatively titled it "Kwok's Galaxy Mod" as it will be my interpretation of the SE universe. It's going to be based off the Balance Mod in terms of general game play, but a lot more flexible in terms of what I'll be adding or changing.

One of the initial changes will be the separation of supplies from engines. In the mod you'll need to add reactors to provide supplies for the engines and there will be a less rigid engine cap to allow for a wider range of ship speeds.

Ship Construction will be amalgamated into a single long tech area, with hull upgrades completely intertwined. For example, you might receive access to a large Battleship hull at the same time you get access to a level III destroyer hull etc.

I'm also expanding the early game weapons to include a bit more variety and the weapon tree in general.

I'm going to scrap armor slots (like SJ's GG mod) and bring in a directional damage system by using just the outer/inner slots. Armor will therefore be leaky and I'll be able to introduce different types of armors to mix and match for designs - think light/heavy armors from SE:IV leaky mods etc.

Not sure if it will feature leaky shields.

I'm going to mix up racial traits a bit as well. Organic and Crystalline traits will provide only their types of ships from the start with and will treated more like the paradigms in Fyron's Adamant Mod. Other racial traits will become "technology traits" that are cheap and provide access to certain components/facilities/weapons.

There will be a few more facilities and they'll vary in size. I might introduce some sort of pollution concept if SE:V will be co-operative in that respect.

The AI will be based on the Balance Mod work but with the necessary tweaks to make it compatible with the described changes. I'll actually be working on both at the same time as it will be no issue transferring 95% of the behavioral changes between mods.

Feel free to post ideas/comments.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kwok\'s next Mod

Sounds like it is going to be a great mod Kwok.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

/cheer

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM

Sergeant

javaslinger is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to it... Perhaps some sort of penalty to ships with obnoxious amounts of engines.. Like beyond six, you need to start adding structural support modules to handle the strain. This of course will depend on the size of the ship. But even a Battleship will reach a limit where it can't handle the strain of high speeds...

Just an idea...

Keep up the work of a genius...

Javaslinger
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM

First Lieutenant

se5a is on a distinguished road

pah, if supplies are done properly you don't need an engine cap at all, since more engines use more supplies, therefore faster ships can't go as far.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Corporal

BlueTemplar is on a distinguished road

But ships don't use supplies to move during combat...
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

Hopefully there will be alot of new weapons and components.
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sergeant

Romulus68 is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to give Fighters some love. I love fleet battles with carriers, ships of the line, etc mixing it up in a good firefight.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Sergeant

Romulus68 is on a distinguished road

I would like to see more in game help and descriptions. I know this can make modding it tedious, but it helps with things that you are unsure of. IE.....making sphereworlds, warp hole generators, etc.

I would love to see verbose descriptions and possible examples on how/what/where to use said items. Even on simple weapons we could add flavor text that sorta advises how to best use said weapon. DUC's could comment on making sure you have good supply and ordance since the weapon consumes both. Battle stations - I would build them and the wouldn't fight!!?? After a bit of web reading I realized they need supply storage (no engines to hold supply), but if the base description mentioned that i would have built them correctly right from the get go.

Best thing to remember when doing this, "A lot of us are NO WHERE near the skill level you are or not even in the same ball park on understanding game mchanics!" I have to minimize games and try to find help on the web when I encounter some of these situations/questions.

Thanks for the time and all the GREAT work you are doing!!!
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

aegisx is on a distinguished road

Kwok, any plans to increase resource demand or research cost for this mod? Some way to slow down expansion/research rates...