.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 5th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot change Battle Depth/Height

Hello!
I play Dom3 3.23b on a 1-yr-old Asus M50Sa laptop, running the latest Vista version. Everything runs smooth as silk (as do most of even the latest games).
One thing does not work, however: in battle replays, I can move the map around, but I cannot raise or lower the field with pageup/pagedown. This is particularly bothersome when in a mountain province, since if you move the battle even a little bit to the left, you usually "bump" a mountain and the view gets raised up a few notches, leaving nothing but tiny little icons left.
I think the problem is that you have keyed the control of raising and lowering the view to pageup/pagedown keys on a standard keyboard, and mine might deviate from those.
My question is this: Is there any way that you could add the additional support of further keys? I don't care which ones those are, they could be "u" and "j" for all it's worth, but please please let me control the battle height/depth somehow.
Thank you very much in advance for a reply!
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cannot change Battle Depth/Height

The game uses specific keycodes to trigger actions. If your keyboard doesn't use the same keycodes then maybe you'd need to use a program that remaps keys for that. I would probably able to help more when it comes to Linux, but I don't know about Windows.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road

Thank you, ich.
Sadly, I am not computer literate. Is there anything I can do, short of begging Johan and crew for an update of some sort?
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Well, the ability to assign custom keys to the actions is indeed lacking from the game, but I don't think that you can reasonably expect this to happen. It is hardcoded at so many places and it would require new dialogs that the chance that JK starts implementing this now is pretty much nil.

You should google for "remapping keys windows" and see if you can work out a solution, either with Microsoft-Tools or with Third-Party software like AutoHotKey.
Emergency comic relief