Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mp etiquette - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road
Default Mp etiquette

Looked around and can't seem to find a good thread on MP play do-s and don't-s. Off the top of my head I'm wondering about NAP binding, private pm, forum broadcast/smearing enemy info for instigation, making backroom deals ...etc

As it seems like I'm about to play in a MP game, was wonder if anyone can enlighten me what is generally allowed and what's not.

Edit: oops, this should go into MP forum...
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mp etiquette

Here's a good place to start for the basics.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com//showthread.php?t=32050
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM

First Lieutenant

thanks a ton! the search didn't pick this up >.< (at least not in the first 3 pages)
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

MP etiquette:
1) Try not to stale
2) Don't just stop playing because you're bored/losing/etc..
3) Don't just set AI for the above reasons
4) If you must stop playing, find a sub
5) Don't suck more than is reasonably expected. (Failure to expand to at least ~10 provinces year 1 is inexcusably bad with most nations on standard maps and settings). Ie, some basic competence is expected. Less so in new player games, but even then, you can learn how to expand against indies in SP, so there's no reason not to do so. This mostly applies to expansion phase - getting clobbered while fighting against another player is part of the learning process with MP games.

That's really about it. Unless the game has specific expectations, diplomacy is based on 'how much do you care about short-term advantage vs. the diplomacy metagame', ie, Machiavellian with likely chances to reap what you have sown. Do feel free to announce whatever intel you think gives you an advantage, or trade it privately for profit. Make up intel when its to your advantage. Get on a soapbox and get your propaganda machine going. Whatever floats your boat.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Sounds about right. though I can't find an exact read on whether agreements are binding, my searches turned up some debates on that issue, I guess it's game specific and up to host. I'll assume it's non-binding unless stated.

btw loved your LA Ryleth guide! The only thing I'm debating is whether to take luck for MA r'yleth despite order, for the void gate summoning...
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think the "dont suck" is a bit harsh but I must admit it is rather expected.

On the other hand I will point out I often see conversations where new players are told "Skip solo because it sucks. Jump into MP and learn fast." We cant have both. Solo play is where they can spend lots of time quitting the game if it turns against them to just start another. So going AI at the first hit, or failing to keep up with the other players, is automatic fallout of the "jump on in" syndrome. (not to mention that some people actually turn out to like solo)
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I think the "dont suck" is a bit harsh but I must admit it is rather expected.

On the other hand I will point out I often see conversations where new players are told "Skip solo because it sucks. Jump into MP and learn fast." We cant have both. Solo play is where they can spend lots of time quitting the game if it turns against them to just start another. So going AI at the first hit, or failing to keep up with the other players, is automatic fallout of the "jump on in" syndrome. (not to mention that some people actually turn out to like solo)
There's a reason why I spent so much time qualifying 'don't suck'. Its mostly meant in the context of expansion, where you really should have test driven your year 1 plan a couple times before showing it on primetime.

By skip SP people mean 'its not worth playing a game against the computer', and very much not 'don't practice expansion strategies'. Year 1 is the only part of SP i've played in a year at this point, but I probably spend as much time on year 1 run-throughs as actual MP game turns.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:18 PM

First Lieutenant

I've actually did hours of yr 0-2 simulation playthrough on my upcoming MP game (my 1st) without knowing its semi-requisite (or good practice, rather).

My playthrough narrowed my pretender choice down to 2 setup, but still haven't yield any conclusive choice between luck or misfortune For MA R'yleth. I'm starting to think that with luck vs Misf its impossible to playtest lol due to the random nature, a good set of event with gold / hero in first 6 months makes such an enormous difference if you get it...
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

It's possible, but difficult. It simply takes using a lot of time and information to find the averages.
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:55 AM

First Lieutenant

Well order/misfortune and a dash of growth seems most consistent and I'd go with that normally, in this case I'm biased toward getting better void summons (I'm crazy about the dreamland!) even though that alone probably doesn't justify getting luck on a gold hungry nation like MA R'yleth. LA R in that respect is much easier as you get better void summon (or chance of) in all your province under your dominion... and not like you need to buy chaff