.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assasians

I have never used assasians because in SP they never worked for me. However, I was talking to someone about them and they said a couple of nations had really good ones ( Demonbred of Abysia for one).

I tried to find a thread or something in the wiki but I can't seem to find out one answer that is possibly the most important.

Because it is an assasian it is a stealthy kill...therefor the nation that just had his commander killed would not know which nation did it.

I just want to confirm that is correct with all 'Assasians' or just some.

Thanks
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:50 PM

First Lieutenant

WingedDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Assasians

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
Because it is an assasian it is a stealthy kill...therefor the nation that just had his commander killed would not know which nation did it.
Umm, untrue. Some assassin spells are anonymous because they use special monsters as assassins, but if you try physical elimination with your guy who's actually on the map - there's no way your opponent wouldn't know it was you.
It takes 1 minute to test things like this: create a new game, choose Abyssia, hire asassin, go kill indy commander and watch what happens.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

iRFNA is on a distinguished road

***-asians?
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM

Sergeant

earwicker7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRFNA View Post
***-asians?
Oh, that website rules!
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedDog View Post
It takes 1 minute to test things like this:
1 MINUTE!!!!!

Are you mad WingedDog? I mean after all, it only takes 59 seconds to post a new message asking such easy to test questions.

Plus saving that precious 1 second could be the difference between life and death you know. Indeed, I've heard a rumour that posting stupid forum questions holds the key to virtual immortality. As all the 1 seconds you save get added-on to your natural lifespan, so if you post often enough, you could in theory skip death entirely. (This works on the theoretical basis that the Grim Reaper is forced to check all the stupid forum questions that someone might have asked in their lifetime before he can come to claim them)

One interesting bit of info that most people are unaware of is that the flood controls that most forums use (ie. when you must wait a set time before post another message), are not actually there to stop forum spam. As its real purpose is to function as anti-immortality controls, and all forum operators are enforced to use them by the G8 nations in order to help control the global population level. Not a lot of people know that
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya know, sometimes you just want to ask a question that informed people might know an answer to. Without having to hear from 3 or 4 people telling you how easy it is to test it here or there.

If you feel that way, DON'T ANSWER IT. If no one answers I guess I would have either had to test EVERY Damn assassian from every nation that has one to find out something that MIGHT be commom knowledge, or just forget it and not use them (I mean I havn't used them in 2 years anyway, right).

I have noticed reading some posts, that people are yelling more about answering noob questions or questions that can be tested on the the test mods or whatever (has it ever occured to anyone that some of us actually do NOT know how to use them).

I'm suprised at both of you....

As much time as you spend helping new guys get off the ground (including my son, Calahan) and making sure they learn the rules and to play it correctly.

I got the answer in 1 post. Now, if I want to test this particular one, I can test it and later test another if I doubt his word. Why is it that all the rest has to come with it. I don't hang out on the Irc Forum, because although it has a lot of the most knowledgeable people on there and some of my good friends, unless you ask an interesting question...no one wants to answer. I am not very good at this game and after 2 years still feel like I am a novice. I have a lot of questions and not a lot of computer skills. So I would appreciate it if you want to answer the question, you do and know that I appreciate it VERY MUCH. If you don't, then let me stay ignorant on the subject. But don't take shots at me because you think I am lazy or beneath answering. Start a post for those who want to read it about how it is bad form etc if they ask questions that they can test. You may have the time to test it, not only do I not know how on some things, I don't have the time....I will gladly just stay stupid on the subject.

That is my rant for today....I take no offense from either of you as I respect you both. I just don't understand the jumping on a quick question.
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Sergeant

NooBliss is on a distinguished road

Is it just me or you're slightly prejusticed against asians? ^^
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

There's actually an even better way to test the assassin thing, and anything else involving questions of whether a nation will know who did what to them. Start a singleplayer game with two nations, both nations set to Human. You can then play both nations. Make sure one is a nation with recruitable assassins, and try to assassinate a commander from the other nation. When you open up that nation's next turn, you'll see the assassination attempt message.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Assassin spells are anonymous, but often easily tracked back: 'who on this map could be casting 5 earth attacks against me?'.
Assassins are not very reliable but their main effect is to cause people to use bodyguards. This can be relatively useful if you can sneak an assassin near a research center where assassins will easily slay sages for instance. Equipping your assassins with a medallion of vengeance can also be quite efficient against human commanders without commanders, but is both expensive and random.

I did have some fun with a black-hearted vanjarl using Percival the pocket knight as a decoy against bodyguards and spells. Surprisingly effective, but still very sub-optimal.
Old November 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Corporal

Ragnars Wolves is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rdonj...that makes sense. I didn't know you could do that.