The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:31 PM

Private

captncrunch is on a distinguished road
Default How do I modify the Diplomacy AI files?

The problem I am having is that I don't quite know what the values mean and how they are used in the AI_Anger.txt and AI_Politics.txt. I was wondering if someone could explain it to me.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I modify the Diplomacy AI files?

Quote:
Originally posted by captncrunch:
The problem I am having is that I don't quite know what the values mean and how they are used in the AI_Anger.txt and AI_Politics.txt. I was wondering if someone could explain it to me.
Welcome captncrunch

Basically, on occasion thru-out your game you (and/or anyother player) will do something to anger or endear the AI Player towards you, this will continue to run up and down a scale - this value is accessed in the AI Players Anger File.

Certain locations of that scale will trigger a modified value that is pin-pointed in that - AI Players Political File.

When that Political point is satisfied: That AI Player will attempt or accept, an Action (good or bad) and this action again will depend: where in his happy scale you (or anyother Player) are at. For the (most part ) a good surface indicator of this - is that AI players mood towards you...

I hope this helps.
If you have a specific question, please ask and we will do our best.

Good to have you aboard

[ June 21, 2004, 22:20: Message edited by: JLS ]

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:34 AM

Private

Ok, I kinda get what your saying, however, what I want to know is happens when I increase or decrease the numbers next to each value. Is it better to have a negative number or postive?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:11 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by captncrunch:
Ok, I kinda get what your saying, however, what I want to know is happens when I increase or decrease the numbers next to each value. Is it better to have a negative number or postive?
This depends on what Item you wish to change and will it be the Anger or the Political File:

For example using the stock se4 AI Anger File
Minus numbers = Endearment
Positive number = Anger

Receive Propose Trade := is at default 0 This is default zero in stock to help players to trade and especially new players to se4 move smoothly along.

However, if we raise this to 15, the Human Player better be darn sure he gives a good deal the first time to your AI, if the AI refuses this deal it may be as much as 5 months before the Human Player is in a position to try again. This modification will make it tougher on the Human Player, and help preserve that AI’s Players total net resource reserves. (along with the Percentage Value, but that’s another file)

- - -

With this same above Scenario, the AI did not like the Human Player proposal and refused the trade offer.
You may change the time your AI recovers form this insult, from the above Five month to much less time or actually more time if you wish to punish the ill-mannered Human Player.

Receive Offer Tribute := -3
For example: with -5 and this would drop the time to about 2 or 3 months if the Human Player bribes a few times. (this is cumulative with other modifiers and if all else is even)
To raise the warming up period for your AI, just use less -1 or -2 is also ok in some cases.

For example using the stock se4 Political File
This tends to deal with Triggers - that are set and/or modified by how your AI’s position relates in Anger, Score Percentage and Time. Also at the bottom you will find that Percentage Trade Value I referred to.

Declare War Base Anger Level := 80
If you raise 80: It will take much more Anger for that AI to enter a war. This is good if you do not want your AI to make war and have a breather - so that Enemy AI Player (or Human) ships may leave your AI’s contested Systems (one way or the other
Also to allow time for Human Players to bribe with gifts or Tribute. Along with the natural decrease to take effect and avoid war. (Again, this is cumulative with other modifiers and if all else is even)

However, this cool off time should be considerable for most AI personalities, but this is better then total war - when achieved...

- - -

Now for example you have a Psycho Impulsive Race and/or you wish that your AI never take any crap from another Player, then you may reduce the below modifier to lets say just 5 for example: then your AI will declare war on the next ill-mannered race at 85 anger and then the next at 90 etc. However, as you can see the default is set at 15 and this is a good safe number as to prevent to many costly wars for the default se4 AI.

Declare War Anger Modifier Per Other Wars := 15

= = = = =

It depends on what you want that AI to do, and most of us adjust the settings to that AI’s general personality as discribed in that AI's General File

I have been told I tend to get too technical on my replies (more so if I have had a long day), please forgive me if this is so.

[ June 22, 2004, 04:54: Message edited by: JLS ]

With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

Private

Thank you very much, the technical details were very helpful, and now I can enjoy the game even more.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The examples I posted are not recommendation, they where just a few scenarios of some adjusted outcomes and even still - the outcomes are subject to dozens of other variables

= = = = =

Enjoy se4... Malfador Machinations and Shrapnel Games offer us a unique and very versatile game with Space Empires - that has not lost any shelf life since our purchase

Hope to see more of you,

JLS