The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 28th, 2004, 09:29 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road
Default RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game here!

That's right folks! The famous Return to Hell classic from PBW will soon be entering its second installment. This time it will bring new twists to the proverbial table to make things a little bit more interesting.

For those who are not familier with the first RTH game here is a little bit of history from it.

A while ago I started a game on PBW that was called Return to Hell. In this game we had 12 players and each player started in his own cluster of system (12-15 or so in each cluster) with no warp points to access the other cluters.

Technology wise we started with fulltech on meaning that every technology was available to each player from the very beginning. It was a 5 or 10 planet started as well, I don't remember which, so this meant those clusters filled quickly with planets and soon resources were more then abundant.

By the time people started leaving their clusters they had multiple, yes multiple, Sphereworlds all over their clusters. It wasn't uncommon to see multiple fleets of 500+ baseships flying around.

But by the time any major wars started breaking out, and before anyone invaded any sphereworlds the game reached a limit. PBW could no longer process the turns because the turn file was greater then 2MB! We could have continued the game by me manually processing the turns from home and then sending to everyone but this too proved to be hidious as I did not have the time to undertake the task at the current time. Therefore, we declared a 3 way (I think it was 3 way) tie between the top 3 empires in the game.

It was truely a historical game and one that will never be forgotten, by me at least. But now it is time to break those records, and bring new twists to the game. Yes, it is time for RTH2!

This time there will only be 6-10 players to help with the file size. I imagine we will have 10 players because a few of the players from RTH 1 said they would play in Version 2 once it was started.

Over the next few days I will release some information regarding this game as far as game settings and so forth. I started this thread in order to see who all will be interested in playing in this game and too possible get some ideas that we could implement into this game.

If you do have any ideas please let me know either here or by emailing me at seivgold AT yahoo DOT com.

Once I decide on how many systems and I find out how many players (max 10) will be in this game I will be needing a map maker who will not be participating to make the map for me.

Any comments and suggestions are most welcome.

[ February 18, 2004, 13:24: Message edited by: Ragnarok ]
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:37 PM

General

Default Re: RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game here!

Here is a little bit more information that I have for right now.

We will not be starting with full tech this time around. This will make the mid-game a little bit more interesting as players begin transforming their planets to contain monolith facilities instead of just miners. And then also they will have to begin scraping research facilities to build more miners and or monoliths.

Current sign up list:
1- Ragnarok

More information will be released as it becomes available.

Edit: Another thing I should mention is that the Last game Lasted along time, several months at the very least. Therefore, if you do not think you will be able to play your turns within the coming months on a regular basis then I strongly suggest that you do not apply to join this game. But I will not let that hinder you joining as I cannot make that decision for you.

[ January 28, 2004, 19:54: Message edited by: Ragnarok ]
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Major

primitive is on a distinguished road

Count the Primitive one in too.

May I suggest not using FQM this time ? Converting 100s of Astroides to planets get quite tedious after a while
That will keep the filesize down a bit too.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:13 AM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We will not be starting with full tech this time around. This will make the mid-game a little bit more interesting as players begin transforming their planets to contain monolith facilities instead of just miners. And then also they will have to begin scraping research facilities to build more miners and or monoliths.
Would it really be the same without full tech? It seems to me that this would only make the game take much longer since I'd imagine that most players would just stay in their cluster until they'd researched most techs anyway. Not to mention, I'd consider scrapping an empire's worth of facilities tedious, not fun.

In other words - if you make it full tech, then sign me up.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

make the map small, that'll cut down on filesize to.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

Wouldnt the player be best researching into open and close warp points to get access to other players - although they would be weakened to start with in terms of those players pursuing weapons tech.
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game her

One question: why is this game called "Return to Hell"? What was the (original) backstory?

Will there come a gamestory thread on this?
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM

General

Quote:
Strategia_In_Ultima said:
One question: why is this game called "Return to Hell"? What was the (original) backstory?

Will there come a gamestory thread on this?
The original game was also called Return to Hell. One day, along time ago, I decided I wanted to create a PBW game that was different than most. So I thought about it some and came up with the idea of making the game full tech, 5K racial points, max everything else. Each player would start in their own 'cluster' of systems that was not connected to any of the other clusters where the other players resided.

There were not many rules to follow except that you could not 'turtle' in your cluster. You had to leave at least one system available for someone to warp in with a warp opener to attack or make peace. The game got so big eventually due to players staying in their clusters as long as they could that PBW could no longer run it.

This game has now reached that point but we are determained to continue on.

I created RTH2 because I missed the first game and wanted to try it again. Here is the back story I created for RTH2 to tie it in with the first one:

Millennia ago your race was once the center of the galaxy. You spent decades building your empire within the privacy of your own cluster of star systems that the Ancient Ones had placed you in. The Ancient Ones had left great texts that spoke of other races in the universe that were doing just as you were; building a great empire. These texts also spoke of a day when all races taking a great journey out of their clusters.

Your race had finally decided that this was the time period in which to embark on this quest of universal conquest. You designed and built great technology that enabled you to create artificial warp gates that would allow you to take this journey and link your clusters wither other clusters.

Little did you realize that these other races were ready for this day. They too had built massive empires within their clusters. Many races made first contact and many wars had broken loose. There were few treaties made during this time, no one wanted to become unprepared for the inevitable.

For decades wars raged on until one day two prominent races stood out above all others. They had grown to such a point that they could not be stopped. Over the next few centuries they nearly exterminated the other races that once ruled in their respective clusters.

Once it reached this point the Ancient Ones decided it was time to intervene. They stopped the wars in time to spare a few of many of the races. Some of the races once known, however, were destroyed and would never rise again. The Ancient Ones decided it was time to start again, this time to see if peace would be possible.

They restored the universe to what it once was before the wars broke out. Despite the best efforts by the two races that dominated the universe at this time the Ancient Ones overcame them and plundered much of their empires. Never did these think their empires could fall so quickly.

The Ancient Ones returned you to another cluster and limited you to just a handful of planets. You kept much of your technological data but lost much more. In the case of the few empires that lost everything the Ancient Ones brought in other races from different universes' to replace these ones. They knew that one day the universe would return to its deplorable state of war and conquest… yes, they knew one day it would Return to Hell!
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:56 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

this should really be rth3

but i think ragnarok blocked that out

Has it really been 3 years

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else noticed that the combat replays no longer work (is it just me)?
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.