.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for more informative messages

I'm sure you've all noticed that the brief synopsis of the messages that are shown on the start-of-turn message list are ... somewhat uninformative. So I thought I'd offer some specific suggestions of how they should be changed.

There was a battle in Ipriscia Change this to "We won a battle in Ipriscia"/"We lost a battle in Ipriscia" respectively, then tack on "No/few/some/large/massive casualties" at the end where the adjective depends on the per centage of the units lost. Few, < 5%, some, 5 - 10%, large 10-25%, massive >25%

Methone has cast auspex You don't say. Change to "Methone found no/2 sites in Ipriscia with auspex." Also, these events should have a "Go to province" button instead of their current "go to commander" button.

A sneaking enemy was discovered... [i]A sneaking enemy was defeated by/escaped from"

An unexpected event has occured in Olypha Unexpectedly, an ill omen was seen in Olypha.

There are of course a lot more messages that need improvement. The main point is that often much more information can be given in the same, or barely more, amount of text, so why not change them?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for more informative messages

Quote:
Leif_- said:

There was a battle in Ipriscia Change this to "We won a battle in Ipriscia"/"We lost a battle in Ipriscia" respectively, then tack on "No/few/some/large/massive casualties" at the end where the adjective depends on the per centage of the units lost. Few, < 5%, some, 5 - 10%, large 10-25%, massive >25%

I'm strongly against this suggestion. A big pleasure for me is the suspense and it would be gone with this change. Except if I'm sure to win, I always click on "View Battle" before opening the messages, I for sure don't want to know the result before.

I would even like to have an option to disable the messages like "your commander has found a magical item" and "a message from (AI nation)" (you have killed our god...) that may kill suspense in some cases.

I find the others ideas good.

PS : but I support more informations *inside* the battle messages : list of killed troops, killed commanders, a real battle report when you storm a castle, etc...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

I agree. Estimating casualties in a useful manner may be tricky, but otherwise all these changes look useful (especially (2)) and rather trivial.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

How about the ultimatly ambiguos we stormed the castle!

o really? what happened? who died, any of my commanders die?

..."we captured the fortress!"

I dont like watching every damned battle, especially when i have many commanders casting spells that take a long time (flying shards, fire flies etc) when they cast them every round. Some battles can take upwards of 10-15 minutes!

I think the change the messages for battles is a good one. "We defeated or we lost against so and so" would be nice.
...or maybe just make it so when you put your cursor over the message, it show the whole message in a pop-up box that goes away when you move your mouse again.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

If you make uses of the 'n' and 'f' keys, very few battles will take that long. (N especially - skippind ahead 1 turn really speeds things up.)
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM

Private

Talleyrand is on a distinguished road

I'm also against the "We won a battle / We lost a battle" suggestion. I like it being a surprise as I watch the battle unfold. The rest are so-so, not for or against them.

--Friedrich Nietzche
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM

Sergeant

Stryke11 is on a distinguished road

I support all of the original suggestions and also the "We stormed the fortress" addition. I sometimes send so many commanders to storm a castle that I can't remember after it's done who is missing. A list of commander casualties - at the least - would be helpful.

Assassination attempts should also be either (succeeded/failed). A lot of you are quoting suspense, but really, in a big game, single player, I should just have to scan the headlines to get an idea of where I stand.