The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 25th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Major General

Ruatha is on a distinguished road
Default OT:US don\'t qualify for EU membership, don\'t spank children, WW2 history.

Reading some Posts here about Australia becoming the next US state, and some other threads about other topics about other issues I started thinking.
Turkey really want to enter the EU but still hasn't qualified.
A lot of the former east states in central europe has qualified and will soon become members.
But the US wouldn't qualify neither by the economical criteria nor the human right criterias.

What are the thoughts on this from you US fellows, are we Europeans squemish about human rights? (I don't think so), aren't you worried about your federal budget defeceit?

[ July 26, 2003, 08:35: Message edited by: Ruatha ]
Old July 25th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT:US don\'t qualify for EU membership, don\'t spank children, WW2 history.

What are the details of exactly how we won't qualify?

Please detail both the requirements and how we don't meet them. Or link to something.

I know about the capital punishment thing and no, I don't think you all are squeamish. Having heard of French and Italian prisons I just think you lack follow-through.

[ July 25, 2003, 17:08: Message edited by: Loser ]
Old July 25th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT:US don\'t qualify for EU membership, don\'t spank children, WW2 history.

An American commentator was in Bratislava July 3, giving a speech to the Hayek Foundation. His speech was interesting in that it layed out the cultural and societal differences between Europe and the US today, along with the similarities. The differences go a long way toward demonstrating why a close US-EU relationship (to say nothing of union) would probably not work...
Old July 25th, 2003, 06:49 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road

I really wouldn't mind being a member of the E.U. If it means maintaining a higher standard of living and less seperation between the rich and poor, well sure! The E.U. isn't squeamish on human rights issues, It's just that you don't do anything about them when human rights are being violated. The Europeans whine about the conditions at camp X-Ray, but turn a blind eye to Mozambique, Croatia, Solomons, E. Timor, Kosovo (initially), They wine about air strikes in Iraq but everyday Russia bombs the hell out of Chechnya. Heaven forbid the Europeans should criticize Russia!
I really would like to see the Europeans taking more of an active role in the world and intervening in the worlds hot spots instead of letting the U.S. do it and gripe about it afterward.
Oh gawd was that a rant? sorry! Did I go O.T.? Hey I really am for this one world government thing, even if it does sound kinda scary.
Old July 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... well, maybe we could arrange for just Oregon to join the EU.

Would they take California too? Nah, that's too much to wish for.
Old July 25th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road

Actually Northern California?....Sure! Welkome Komrades!
Old July 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

I suspect it's Southern California he wants to get rid of.
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Loser:
What are the details of exactly how we won't qualify?

Please detail both the requirements and how we don't meet them.
Ok, well... quick look at a map of Europe... Nope, I don't see the US on here anywhere. So that alone probably disqualifies us.

As far as Turkey goes, I guess it was considered because it was at least close to Europe Geographically.

Geoschmo
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Major General

Ruatha is on a distinguished road

Maastrich economic criteria

Copenhagen criteria for new members.

more specifics (Entire treaties can be found here)

About human rights issues (Amsterdam treaty)

More about human rights and the EU

I don't have any statistics showing the percantage of US budget defecit so I can't be sure about it, but a quick opinion based upon scarse facts and much rumours and emotions makes me belive that the US don't meet many critera, am I worng? Perhaps...

And I do belive that Geo has a point there....

[ July 25, 2003, 19:03: Message edited by: Ruatha ]
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Why would the US want to join the EU? The few products we supply to the EU will be exempted anyway. And the bulk of our exports are NATO contract items. I see the US backing away from the EU. We will reduce our roll in NATO, and shift the cost of defending Europe back to the EU, where it belongs. And let’s not forget that Europe has a long history of letting Nationalism take control of their leadership. With the two big boys removed from the picture, Europe will probably pick up where they left off prior to WW II.

As to the deficit, with 1% loans, we finance it long term and pay it off as the economy recovers. If you guys remember your basic US government classes, the government is expected to run deficits during times of recession, repaying the debt during time of economic growth. The two flaws in today’s deficit are the lack of bond funding of the war, and the lack of job creation in the recovery. The lack of job creation can be laid right at the feet of overseas job outsourcing. And this will most likely become a political issue for the upcoming elections. I look for outsourcing overseas to become a liability for the corporations involved with it. There is already a movement to back away from free trade and a return to status quo arraignments. Canada has already begun to feel the sting from this. There is quite a lot of talk about applying stiff tariffs to imports that originate from overseas companies that receive direct funding from their governments.

[ July 25, 2003, 19:10: Message edited by: Thermodyne ]

Think about it