War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:51 AM

Private

snake is on a distinguished road
Default Would like to see?

I love the game but the battle choices seem very limited compared to everything else.
You can assault, advance, meet, delay and defend. Plus, your 'choice' always 'forces' a choice on the defender.

First, I suggest adding a few other choices if possible.
1. Add the 'breakthrough' where the real VP's in a scenario are garnered by reaching exit hexes where the attacking units try to leave the map.
2. Add the 'breakout' where you are 'surrounded' by the enemy and need to reach some objectives through enemy lines or just hold onto some central objective with/without a relief force. (Not the always I'm on one side - you on the other set-up.)
3. The infamous city fight (like an advance or assault)where you struggle building by building to objectives much like Stalingrad but include some multi-hex, multi-story buildings.
4. A rear guard action (like a delay) but where the defender exits off the map for points.
5. A 'search and destroy' (like a meeting engagement) where both sides have some immobile high value free units deployed by the computer that you have to defend as well as try to get the other guys high value targets. VP's on both extreme sides of the map (perhaps with a few low value VP's in the middle).

Also, you could vary the options by not tying the defender to the same 'opposite' choice ( i.e. assault always meets defend).
An assault map and mission choice doesn't guarantee the defender will have a 'defend' choice.
The attacker might be met by a defend (50%) but it might also meet a delay (25%), a rearguard (10%), an advance force (10%) or even an assault force (both sides think they are anyway and choose forces based on what the mission says you are doing (5%).

The AI could handle this by simply putting percentages on possible 'opposing side' missions as above and using some creative VP placement on map generation to allow for other mission types like breakthrough.

Just an idea and I'm sure others have more. I would just like to get away from the few hard-wired missions in the game when everything else like the OOB's are so full of choices. I guess I'm aiming at the campaigns here and generated battles against the AI.