.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Silent Seas AAR

Shrapnel has graciously given permission for the Dom 3 testers to post AARs now that the game has gone gold. As such, I thought I'd fire up a small game with one of my favourite new nations and write it up.

So, without further ado...

Welcome to Kailasa
Kailasa is a nation of monkey people, living in dense forests. They revere the Yakshas, a race of semi-divine beings which inhabit the sacred slopes of Mount Kailasa. Now the rightful ruler of the Yakshas has come, to lead them and their monkey followers out of the sacred woods to conquer the known world.

Pretender Design
Kailasa in the early era, like many nations, doesn't have particularly advanced armour. The monkey peoples range from the fairly useless Markatas, who throw sticks and stones at their enemies and don't wear armour, to the big Bandar apes, who wield maces, longbows, or swords and sometimes do wear armour. However, the jewel of the Kailasa military are the Yakshas themselves - particularly the falchion-wielding Yavanas. They don't really wear armour, but they have a great attack and a great defence, and are sacred, as well as inspiring awe.

Because of this, my pretender design will centre around a bless strategy. I want particularly to give them a water blessing, to boost their already impressive defence, and make them move faster towards their opponents (so they have less time being fired upon). On top of this I want Astral magic, so reach some of the really cool national summons available to Kailasa.

So enter Ghanivallika, Mother of Gods, Goddess of Many Names, Goddess of Dreams, Symbol of Unchallenged Victory, Guide of Heroes. She is a Lady of Fortune skilled in Water magic (9) and Astral magic (4). She herself is imprisoned right now, which means that the last vestiges of last pantokrator's power still hold her in check, but the bonds are weakening, and soon she will be free. She rules an orderly realm (and hopefully therefore prosperous), which is quite hot. Her land is also inclined towards magic, though the inhabitants are a tiny bit slothful. Most importantly, her dominion is very strong (9), so lots of sacred troops will be able to be recruited in her cities, and her dominion will spread, eventually over the whole world.

Game setup
I am using the Silent Seas wraparound map (45 land, 8 sea), and have 3 random opponents - one of each of the three AI types: standard, defensive, and aggressive. I want this game to be a challenge, so I set the AIs to difficult AI, which should give them a little bit of a boost. I also upped the Independant strength a little (up to 7) and gave everyone 3 provinces to start with, rather than just one.

Now the stage is set. The new gods will awaken and the world will once again be thrust into chaos, until Kailasa emerges (hopefully) as the great power, and Ghanivallika is undisputably the ruler of the earth.