winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Private

Lampshade111 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Future Combat System M12xx Missing in US OOB?

While I did have a bad feeling that much of FCS would be canceled, I was kinda hoping to see the equipment including the Manned Ground Vehicles in WinSPMBT and other games.

Yet considering the MGV portion of the program has just been canceled under the new budget, it is definitely not worth the work. A MGV replacement plan is supposed to be in development and will certainly including heavier armor.

I thought the plan that the XM1202 MCS would eventually replace the M1 Abrams was crazy, and it seems Gates agrees. I would have liked to have seen a few divisions equipped with the MGV, similar to our Stryker brigade combat teams but with superior equipment. Yet we still need our heavy armored units and eventually those vehicles (M1A2 Abrams, M2A3 Bradley, M109A6 Paladin) need to be replaced eventually.

The core of this MGV-only U.S. Army concept seemed to rely on two beliefs. The first was that most future wars would be "peacekeeping" operations such as what we saw in former Yugoslavia. Second was this belief that heavy armor is no longer efficient and worthwhile in this age of precision guided weapons. So far, this does not seem to be the case in real life.