.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

Private

Corporal Kindel is on a distinguished road
Default More newbie questions

Hello

I’m a new player, been playing the demo version, ordered the full version and expect it to arrive sometime today as per tracking info from amazon.

A couple of questions came up last night when I was playing the demo version. I tried to create a PoD pretender using Maverni. I sent my pretender out alone (dom5 e4w4d4) he ended up getting slaughtered by a group of 30 or so barbarians which I figured would be an easy kill (for me not them!). I’m new & haven’t learned the intricacies of this game yet. The difference between the attack & defense skill was something like –4 (19 defense for my pretender and 15 attack for the barbarian). I figured I was pretty much ok at neg4 but I ended up getting slaughtered when the barbarians charged forward. My PoD killed a lot as they ran up with a sky shards (or something like that) spell. Also, at least one of the barbarians was able to hit me doing like 20 damage (as I watched the small red numbers during melee), but according to their weapon stats (which I paused & looked at) their swords only do 5 damage. So my questions are: how were they able to flatten my so badly when I though I was safe defensively? And why were they able to do 20 damage hits with 5-damage swords?

My second question is related to starting positions (on the strategic map). For some reason, the map generator started my home province out in the middle of the ocean? I figured it had something to do with the 4w (magic) skill I purchased for my pretender at the outset, but when I was attacked by the barbarians, the background map showed a green plains type area, I thought this was weird. Is this a bug, or is it something else I’m missing? Also the demo version gives no explanation on what to do with gems, so I’m completely lost as to what (or what’s best) to do with these?

My third question was answered by reading another thread, just verifying here: undead & immortal (such as my PoD) can only have afflictions healed by the chalice or the spell Gift-of-Life, correct? Of course my pretender somehow ended up getting a limp and a -4 strength affliction earlier somehow after only two turns on the map & dying on the third!

I plan on reading the manual as soon as my game arrives (well, maybe I’ll play a bit first ), so short one-sentence answers would be great if the above stuff happens to be covered in the manual.