War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 1st, 2004, 09:19 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proportions Mod Versions 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 available

Quote:
Originally posted by oleg:
I played few proportions games with new patch and is quite impressed. AI use pop. transports MUCH more efficient now. However I suspect Aaron simply changed max. population to send transport from 500 to 50. I might be mistaken here but that is my impression. It would be much better if that value is determined in settings.txt than hardcoded
I did re-iterate the request for being able to mod that during beta. The patch notes describe a new algorithm that replaces the old threshold. IIRC it simply goes to the lowest-populated colony, unless a ship is already going there. Should be pretty effective for Proportions, given its population curve.

PvK
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SB:
How can I mod in more than one militia unit per pop unit?

I modified my proportions settings.txt to get one per one, but I haven't found how to get more than one.
I don't think you can. What you can do however, is change the strength of a militia unit, so it represents more or better-armed resistance.
Quote:
The point its, that infantry weights 1kt, and since a million pop weights 1000 kt, that means that one infantry have 1000 soldiers, right?
No, that's making assumptions and over-simplifying. Colonists and whatever they need to become productive citizens on an alien planet may be more or less difficult to transport than soldiers and their military equipment. It'd no doubt vary from species to species and tech to tech. With no specifics available or needed, the mod is abstract on this point. If you like thinking of it as 1000 soldiers, that's not an unreasonable base-line though.
Quote:
So if one million pop gives me one militia unit, that would mean 1000 soldiers out of one million, which seems to me completely unrealistic in the case of an alien invasion who undoubtely would unite all possible factions in any given colony against them.
I agree that resistence would be determined. However ...
Quote:
I'll say that one million pop should give 10 000 militias, or maybe even 100 000, if we assume that the local authorities would draft all abled male for planetary defense.
Though I sympathize with the intent, your argument breaks down in practice on several details.

* First, one militia unit is not necessarily the same size as one infantry unit. It would depend on a lot of things.

* Second, realize that SE4 REGENERATES the militia for every ground combat, and that in Proportions, taking a defended planet often takes many ground combats. So one combat round of militia in Proportions should not represent all the civilians who could be drafted, but only a part. Taking a populated planet quickly therefore becomes more important, as makes sense. It would also be a game balance & logic problem if the population itself could generate unlimited strong defenders every unless they could overcome it immediately.

* Third, high-tech combat probably depends more on how many weapons are available, than how many unarmed & untrained volunteers are available. A militia can then be more properly represented by having colonies build or receive some simple infantry units. If a planet fails to do this, it means the colony doesn't have any useful weapons to equip its people with. My concept for Militia in Proportions was that it represented the ability of the civilians to use improvised weapons and to support whatever troops were there. Armed civilians, militia weapons Caches, or any military-effective weapons on the planet should be represented by infantry units. I suppose it'd be good to add a unit named "militia" for clarity.

PvK

[ March 01, 2004, 19:41: Message edited by: PvK ]
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:48 PM

Private

Siegebreaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmm, according to you, 1000 soldiers weight 1000 tons or 1 soldier weits 1T
Well, think of it as the weight of the equipment.

Quote:

Just build more infantry and do not rely on militia.
Not a bad idea. I will do it this way. It makes sense.

Quote:

And with your changes, how do you plan to ever take over a HW with its 2B people if each one recruit one militia
Humm..... I hadn't thought about this...
I guess I'm gonna have to build a LOT of ground forces and troop transports.
That will be a battle on a true Epic scale!

I think I will comission 4 more Shipyard Bases on my Homeworld to build my invading forces. (I already have....15!)

I either take the Xiati Homeworld or I go bankruptcy.

By the way, do the Plague Bombs kill ground forces too or only the Pops?

[ March 01, 2004, 19:51: Message edited by: SB ]
Social drinker: +1 influence
Obsessional trainer: +1 morale to troops, forced march
Devout: -1 influence
Administratively inept: -2 management

Retinue:
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:59 PM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Plague bombs only kill population..but as the population dies, the number of militia will drop as well.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger