This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GeoForce or Radeon

I think I'd probably go with Nvidia next time I buy a video card as well. I suspect my ATI card is behind my mysterious device driver errors that strike me once or twice a day - to which I've yet to solve.
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Karibu:
That is a sad story, David. However, you are entitled to compensation.
Perhaps, but am I intereted? Not one bit. If they offered me a new computer system to go with the card I'd say "No." Replace my 'Lost' ATI? No thanks. Nothing they say or do will ever change my opinion of them. There loss not mine. You know the old saying, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Well, this is one cat you can't skin twice.

I have several friends with ATI cards and they have had no problems. (one of my friends had the exact same problem as me, a resistor fell off, but he is an electronic technician by profession and he simply re-soldered it on the card and that fixed his problem.) BTW: the resistor that fell off did not prevent his computer from running, but he could not run any 3D games. they would simply crash to desktop or cause his computer to reboot. If this sounds like problems that you have, you might want to check if a transistor is missing from the graphic card.

code:
| XX --- |
| |
|___ ________|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

XX marks the approximate spot where the loose trasistors were on both my friends card and mine.

Anyway, It's all history now. I'd much rather look to the future. (And I know that SEV is a part of my future, so I'm very happy. )

Nuf said, Cheers!
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:15 PM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by David E. Gervais:
BTW: the resistor that fell off did not prevent his computer from running, but he could not run any 3D games. they would simply crash to desktop or cause his computer to reboot. If this sounds like problems that you have, you might want to check if a transistor is missing from the graphic card.
That is clearly my problem. Those games I mentioned, crashed on desktop and sometimes rebooted my computer. Thanks for advice, David. I'll check my card for missing/faulty transistors.

btw. What means "Nuf said"?

[ June 05, 2004, 20:39: Message edited by: Karibu ]
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

kerensky is on a distinguished road

Personally, I would prefer a Radeon over a GeForce because I have had better experience with them. Right now I run a GeForce 4 64mb card (got it for free so I can't complain), but it has driver incompatibility issues with certain games, mostly Mechwarriors.

A-- Se GdY $ Fr! Csc Cst Ai++ Au M++ MpD MpT MpM S- Ss++++ RY Pw- Fq Nd Rp+ G++ Mm++ Bb
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Sergeant

Sivran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by kerensky:
Personally, I would prefer a Radeon over a GeForce because I have had better experience with them. Right now I run a GeForce 4 64mb card (got it for free so I can't complain), but it has driver incompatibility issues with certain games, mostly Mechwarriors.
Interesting, because nVidia whores their cards out to game developers to make damn sure their cards work. Though I have heard of a few horror stories with the FX 5xxxx series, I've heard a *lot* more ATI horror stories.
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:17 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is a shortened form of "Enough said", and it may also be spelled "Nuff" (Well, "spelled" isn't quite the right word here though. But I shouldn't be digressing).
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:20 AM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road

That is a sad story, David. However, you are entitled to compensation. I would go to them and threaten to contact police if they would not support you similar card. Propably they would give you another card if only to avoid bad attention. You could also tell them that you will post your story in several computer associated web forum if they would not help you.

I have heard similar stories about other persons difficulties with big companies and those who persuade their case strong enough, usually win their case, because big companies do not want to have bad reputation/overly big scene over few hundred dollars.

Oh yes, I have Radeon 8500 in my system. I have had problems with several games (ie. Ufo Aftermath and Homeworld 2 won't run) and sometimes with movies. Sometimes my computer crashes and throws warning that graphic card could not be connected. However, I am unable to say if my problems are because of graphic card, motherboard or bad IRQ's. I suspect my motherboard is crap one, so I have no exclusive evidence that Radeon 8500 would be bad card. However, I would propably go for Geforce now.

[ June 05, 2004, 12:25: Message edited by: Karibu ]
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alneyan:
quote:
It is a shortened form of "Enough said", and it may also be spelled "Nuff" (Well, "spelled" isn't quite the right word here though. But I shouldn't be digressing).
Oh, thanks for explanation Alneyan, because I used to think it was the quote from "Three piglets" tale, about piglets whose names were Nif-Nif, Nuf-Nuf and Noof-Noof
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM

Private

Fire is on a distinguished road

I bought a ATI 8500LE to use with Mechwarrior Online play. Huge mistake. I thought I would get a much better frame rate but the only thing I got was a computer lock up every time I connected to mechwarrior Online games. It also would lock up whenever I would connect to the internet also. The only way to get out of the lock up was to reboot my computer. I tried all the drivers, upgraded my bios, read all the files on this card, tried to contact ATI support(big joke), but I finally solved the problem by going out & buying a g force video card. It works great. I will never buy another ATI product again & I would recommend that everyone stay away from ATI products. I have heard this opinion from a bunch of different sources. ATI is putting out some real junk.
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:35 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

ATI can be a decent card but we use nothing but Nvidia here at work. We bought some new computers that had ATI Radeon 9xxx and they were junk. So we bought brand new Nvidia's and they run perfectly. I will never run a ATI card in a work environment and probably never at home either.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once