This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Private

bor is on a distinguished road
Default Trade in values-possible bug

In the demo I tried changing the trade-in values for ships in Main_PurchaseShipsPlayer.txt. (IMO 50% depreciation is way to high,though it seems like a standard for this kind of game)

Anyways, I got some odd results... from what I can tell by fiddling around, it seems to display the trade in value for the ship you are flying, and it uses it to calculate if you can afford a new ship, all as it should.

But it seems to use the value for the one you are buying when calculating your remaining funds.

To test this I set "Ship Sell Credit Value" for the terran destroyer (I) to 400,000, and for the destroyer II to 1,170,000. (note: your starter ship has it's own separate values in another file).

I went to the spacedock, traded in my starter ship for a terran destroyer(I). It showed the trade-in value as 150,000 (as it should), but I came out as if it had traded in for the 400,000. Then I traded for a Destroyer II, and ended up with over 1,000,000 in the bank.

Finally I bought a cruiser III. It showed the trade in value of the destroyer (II) as 1,170,000 the value I'd changed it to. But after I'd bought the cruiser, I had ~300,000 credits less. (the ship cost 600,000 and it's own trade in value is 300,000, for a difference of 300k.)

[ September 29, 2003, 05:53: Message edited by: bor ]
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trade in values-possible bug

Welcome!!!

It should be

Cost of new ship - Trade in value of current ship = Payment cost

did you alter the cost of the ship at all?
Ive done this many times and have had no problems so it sounds like your alone with this bug

[ September 29, 2003, 08:03: Message edited by: DeadZone ]
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Private

bor is on a distinguished road

What it works out to be is payment cost = new ship cost - NEW ship trade in value. Although it shows the correct (current ship) trade in value when in space dock, it doesn't seem to use them in figuring your remaining credits.

Initially I changed all the ship trade in values to equal their purchase values. When I bought a new ship I noticed that my credits did not change at all. So for example going from a destroyer (I) at 300k trade in to a destroyer (II) 340 k cost, should've cost 40k. But it cost 0.

As a test, I set the trade in value of a destroyer (II) to an outrageous value(1170 k instead of 117k). I got the extra money when -buying- that ship, not when selling it.

second test... I restored the original Main_PurchaseShipsPlayer.txt from a back up (Last modified 27/08/03) I then bought a new cruiser III (cost 600k trade in 300k) and used it to trade for a destroyer I (cost 300k). It should be an even trade (300k cost -300k trade in), but it ends up costing 150k.

So if someone who hasn't changed any campaign files could keep a close eye on the change in credits on their next ship purchase.....
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:26 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

I believe you are correct. I noticed the Last time that I traded in a ship that I had more money than I should have left. I didn't have time to try to analyze it though. I'll see if I can get a better picture the next time I play.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:46 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Same here. I saved up enough for a Cruiser III with just a few thousand left over, but when I bought the ship, I had about 150 - 200 thousand in the bank. I thought it was kind of weird, but I wasn't about to complain!!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old September 30th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Well strangly enuf this hasnt happened to me
Or maybe Im blind and dont yet know it
Old September 30th, 2003, 05:14 AM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadZone:
Well strangly enuf this hasnt happened to me
Or maybe Im blind and dont yet know it
Oh, I think you'd know it if you were blind.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

Not if I had 2nd vision which allows me to see wot I want to see

Edit: I really need to go back to school

[ September 30, 2003, 08:46: Message edited by: DeadZone ]
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:45 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadZone:
Not if I had 2nd vision which allows me to see wot I want to see

Edit: I really need to go back to school
Trust me, school is NOT a fun place to be. And you know, that sort of vision is the kind I WANT to have

[ September 30, 2003, 14:46: Message edited by: Renegade 13 ]

Old September 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Private

it depends is on a distinguished road

I can;t get that one to happen for me, but I did notice another one, after flying into a rock.

I took a jaunt into Amonkrie space to sell my Cap Ship Missile for a 2nd Toxin Injector, and after purchasing it, ran straight into a rock. Loaded the auto save, went back to sell again, ang looky there, the Cap Ship Missile I just sold them before I died is still there, sitting at the bottom, and after selling the one load on my ship they had 2. If there's unique or very rare weapons, this would be a good way to double their availablity, though it would still cost you.