.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road
Default Re: earth grip

The ai spellcasting priorities are sometimes weird. I remember once testing a fight and in order to get the effects I wanted, I had to remove water from the caster and unlearn one or two spells (I think all alteration and maybe some enchantment) before the ai would behave in the way I deemed best. Obviously, you can't unlearn spells or remove paths from your mages in a real game, so that seriously limits the reliability of spell casters beyond the 5th round.
In your test, did you have all spells researched or just enough that earth grip looked like the best spell?
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Hahaha, I can already see another guide.
Earth grip - how to win the game by not researching.
No seriously it is nothing that would unbalance the game even if spammed. Quickness (iirc) or some passive damage coupled with high prot gets an SC through it. Sending in another high hp unit (it doesn't need higher hp than the SC, just high enough, I don't know the formula) to act as decoy.
The main purpose against SC is that it drops defense so you can get some hits with heavy low attack weapons/troops in but you really have to do some awkward tricks for timing (since even assuming that an e2 mage would use it reliably, the fewest "lategame" i.e. mobile and durable mages are e2 only).
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

I have had a vampire queen killed by tangle vines. Or was it vine arrow. five N1 mages kept my VQ pinned down for 30 turn while they slowly eat away at her.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Alright, in some testing, which was a pita, results were pretty good. An e2 earth reader with only boots of the messenger chain cast it vs a cyclops for 15 turns. Then he stopped, I think because my troops on guard commander routed due to the fear aura.

But pretty effective. Although non e2 readers had trouble, fire cast blindness, water would probably cast frozen heart, death cast decay.

Thanks for the reply chris, but you seem to be talking at best crosswise to me. I never proposed using it against jaguar warriors, specifically pointing out alone SCs as a potential target.

Precision calc was: base 10 + 5 eyeofaiming + 5 aim + 5 spell precision = 25, with +15 from doubling precision over 10 = 40, divide by 2 minus 2 = 18. Spell range is only 15 anyway.

Anyhow, I'm not making it out to be unstoppable vs all foes, just very very good for a particular job. And I suspect even if the SC is not alone, as he has high hp he will be targeted anyway. I don't feel like any more testing though.
From memory, eye of aiming and aim do not stack. And I believe its doubled over 12, not 10.

In your original post you said it would work against anything...
My point wasn't merely that this won't work against mictlan jag warriors. It also wont work against any reasonably fast units.

For example: flying Scs, cav. It also won't work against critters with a longer range attack spell. Light lightning bolt.
Don't get me wrong - great post, and its good to get people to look at a spell that is often overlooked.

but the claim of anything was a it exagerated.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Private

Benjamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Work as in it can't be resisted, not work as an be efficient. I'm 98% sure eye of aiming and aim stack, for your future reference and benefit.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Work as in it can't be resisted, not work as an be efficient. I'm 98% sure eye of aiming and aim stack, for your future reference and benefit.
I can verify that the two stack, at least on the paper doll.