ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Private

kongxinga is on a distinguished road
Default sorry to Hijack this

I always seem to hear people telling others to acheive local superiority somehow. Is there any tips to do so with cheaper nations, like Nat Chi? When I buy the full assortment of forces, I either outrageously clump up my forces at one point for "local superiority" which makes me bomb and artillery fodder or spread my self evenly, which does not allow a lot of breakthrough opportunities. Chinese units are so cheap so there is always a lot of them. What is the preferred way of massing troops for a breakthrough without having to force some to occupy same hexes or clump together excessively for cheaper nations with no fancy hardware?
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Private

evan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sorry to Hijack this

Hijack to your hearts content; it's a fair question that relates to the main topic.

I tend to have the opposite problemin that I am running into a numerical superority on the enemys part and simply the number of shots going each way means that i am loosing.

Please don't suggest artillery support because I am having a bad run with counter battery fire being overly effective against me.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

That is why i love WinSPWW2 so much: it's hard and unforgiving, but it's so much satisfying to shatter huge AI forces. Shameless bragging : I'm playing with AI 150% advantage for now. Will make it 200% next probably. You can change AI settings in the \Game Data\CamoGame.ini AIAdjustPercent=150;
OK now some advices:
0. Patience. SPWW2 battles are long and require a lot of attention. Not everyone like those kind of games.
1. Artillery - God of War. Predict the enemy movement and put arty volleys into their path taking into account 2-3 turn delay.
2. Infantry - King of the Battlefield. Especially in Steel Panthers. The battles are long in the SPWW2, so don't worry about infantry being slow. Move it forward slowly and move it fast in trucks and APC behind *your* lines, outside enemy LOS. Hidden infantry can delay, suppress and destroy enemy armor very effectively. Infantry difficult to spot, and are good spotters themself.
3. While in defense fight tanks with anti-tank artillery and infantry with heavy MG.
4. Always keep substantial mobile reserves - tanks and infantry riding them or on the tucks/APC. Cavalry would do too. Keep it intact until the [censored] hit the fan.
5. Use cavalry if fighting in woods. Keep cavalry or motociclers screen before your troops if advancing fast. Use scout screen if advancing slow.
6. Don't neglect air defense. AA cannon and MG are useful against armor and infantry too.

There is alot more tricks in SPWW2/SPWAW, but I have to stop somewhere
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Private

evan is on a distinguished road

alright mr 200%

Patience is the main thing I was missing out on along with time as I started playing without the 1.1 patch which made life difficult as everything had to be rushed.

points 1-6 are well noted although finding AT guns even when you know theres one there somewhere is a bit on the tough side.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
evan said:
although finding AT guns even when you know theres one there somewhere is a bit on the tough side.
Put down smoke in front of where you suspect AT guns to be.

The you can move some infantry units close enough to spot and eliminate it. Unless AI is smart enough to have transport near by, and moved it once it's LOS was blocked.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Private

MajorDisaster is on a distinguished road

A lot of useful tips on this thread. I've not played a game like this for a while & there's plenty to learn :-) Agreed the AI has this knack of parking units in frustrating places, but on the otherhand Ive seen it do some really stupid stuff too - just like real people :-)
I think the keys are not sticking your neck out too much & too often and a balanced force, in terms of quantity and quality. Have a little bit of everything. Going for lots of Cheap can end up in massed routs. If you have All Expensive then you dont have the numbers to cover the ground and every casualty hurts the points bank. (Some throw away infantry in your core is useful - after all, if they survive they gain experience so you cant lose).
And my biggest screw ups have been allowing my tanks and infantry to get seperated. A big No-No.

Hveldenz says it exactly right. On attack/meeting missions Ive done about the same as him.. err.... so far.
Choose carefully what you think is the best place to attack, and do so with the bulk of your armour & inf, but make sure you have your flanks covered (AT /TD's /HMG's /Flak).
I notice the AI likes sending T34 spoiling attacks along the very top and lower edges of the map even when it's on a delay mission, so make sure even extremeties are covered by recon. (h/track aufklr great. ditto a m/cycle zug).
I also tend not to occupy the 1st victory hexes with the lead unit. Get a decent sized force (Armour platoon plus infantry) to the locality b4 "stepping onto" the hex. That way you'll be ready for a likely inevitable AI counter attack. Even better if you can motor in some AT too.
Oh yeah, and of course, know when to runawaaaaaaaaay,,,
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Private

HATNINJA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: long campaign unplayable

I am in a long campaign Germany vs. Russia. I am playing Germany. I am using default settings except for tank heavy is off, my tanks are 110%, my hitting 110% and artillery effectiveness at 50%. I feel like I am cheating but I was not enjoying myself. This campaign is LONG month to month. I am currently in 8/1942. A few months back in the game i started investing in artillery. I have 5 10cm batteries that I dont use so they are utilized as counter fire and are very effective, I have 5 15cm batteries, five 15cm sig 33s, and 5 32cm werfgerats. I have 3 good sdkfz 223 fus as my foward observers 2 of them are elite. This is starting to work well for me.
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:15 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: long campaign unplayable

1 & 2) The AI has no idea where you are either, slow down & scout effectivly to find him, have patience just because you see him doesnt mean you need to attack him.
Gaining local superiority takes time in WW2 if playing with realistic forces as most nations lacked adequate transport so your moving up on foot. MBT requires less thought due to mech infantry being able to switch positions faster. If you have some mechanised units keep them in reserve to move to the point of contact.
Smoke is VERY powerful both for protecting the original contact units if you make a mess of it & for moving up reserves under. You can then use it to screen out some of the enemy force letting you choose who to engage & gain force superiority.
Remember you can advance in the wrong direction to falling back & regrouping is a valid tactic if it all goes wrong.
3) Thats your imagination working overtime.
4) The AI gets forces based on the force points you deploy so going with 2/3rds is not an issue. Not sure with special battles where you are not allowed to repair if you choose to do them. Would make more sense if they were based on the points total for your fully ready force.
Long time since I played SPWAW but yes units are more inteligent at picking targets, took a while to get my head round but it comes, WAW units seem to fire at everything while WW2 gauge the threat.
Example a tank might not fire at an halftrack at medium range but will fire at a tank, it will however fire at the halftrack at closer range. Getting a feel for how this works means your overwatch becomes much better.
A tip with vehicles unless in safe areas never use all the move points that way you can pull back if something takes a shot at you. Not always helpful the AI may well decide not to reaction fire especially RPGs till its turn. Now it can hopefuly take multiple shots at you.