.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Damage Types: Pierce, Slash, and Crush

LOL PDF you must be kidding.

I think a spear is causing totally different damage, than a hammer or a sword.....
Example:
Plate mail: A pierce weapon -like a spear- can cause lot bigger damage, than a hammer against someone whos wearing that kind of armor. Just think.

These are valid damage types even in real life. The system would be very useful. I really like to see it in Doms II, if it can be added.

[ October 13, 2003, 19:52: Message edited by: DominionsFAN ]

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:01 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by DominionsFAN:
LOL PDF you must be kidding.

I think a spear is causing totally different damage, than a hammer or a sword.....
Example:
Plate mail: A pierce weapon -like a spear- can cause lot bigger damage, than a hammer against someone whos wearing that kind of armor. Just think.

How true. I reckon that this system is a very good idea. I think that this would be a great addition to Doms II. Well yeah, IF it can be implented to the game later on. Why not? If someone than the Illwinter devs can do it!
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:25 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[QB]LOL PDF you must be kidding.

Example:
the damages are differents, but they are there anyway : an hammer blow against a hard surface as a plate will leave your ribs splited into several parts, along with internal hemorragies. Sure, your stomach wont be pierced, but who cares? You would die anyway.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:35 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

With enough force any damage type can defeat any almost armor type (and a weak enough hit can fail to almost any armor type), but it's a matter of degree. Weapon and armor types are signifigant factors, but complex ones.

There are historical accounts, for example, of a battle where the knights' fine chainmail was so well and tightly made, that swords couldn't get through it, and the knights had to be bashed. However, many other examples of chain mail have wide enough rings that they are relatively easy to stab through with a pointed weapon. Bodkin arrows were developed with very narrow heads for penetrating armor, although they make a smaller wound on an unarmored target than a wider arrowhead which probably wouldn't make it through a breastplate. Weapons and armor evolved throughout history to counter each other.

However the details of such things are quite complex, and therefore difficult to model well. There are many exceptions, work-arounds, and details to consider. At the scale and level of abstraction of Dominions, it might be best to leave well enough alone. Judging from the quality of the existing work, though, I imagine Illwinter could do a good job of adding such details, if they felt it was interesting and worth the effort.

PvK
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Judging from the quality of the existing work, though, I imagine Illwinter could do a good job of adding such details, if they felt it was interesting and worth the effort.
Yeah!!! So if anyone disagrees, that means they think Illwinter can't do quality work!
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
the damages are differents, but they are there anyway : an hammer blow against a hard surface as a plate will leave your ribs splited into several parts, along with internal hemorragies. Sure, your stomach wont be pierced, but who cares? You would die anyway.
Hell no! If you hit a decent platemail with a hammer -or with a sword-, you will take almost no damage. The sword is still better than a hammer for example against plate mails.
All armors have their weaknesses of course. Chainmail is good against swords, plate is good against blunt/crush/blugeoning weapons, scalemail is good against piercing weapons like a spear.
Also Illwinter should add different armors like mithril chain etc. The possibilities are endless! This would enchance the gameplay.
I am supporting this idea with full heart!

[ October 13, 2003, 22:43: Message edited by: DominionsFAN ]

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:53 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This would enchance the gameplay.
You mean, it would make random chance play a bigger role?

(j/k)
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:46 AM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

Hey DominionsFAN...if I find some plate mail will you wear it while I beat you with a hammer? I think you could still be fairly effective...especially if you just knock down the person with the plate mail.

But I agree that applied moderately this idea makes some sense...the question is whether Illwinter wants to make a whole lot of unit changes and rebalance the units or if they think time spend working on Dominions 2 improvements is better spent balancing with the current gameplay and adding new features/units/etc.

[ October 14, 2003, 00:46: Message edited by: LordArioch ]
Old October 14th, 2003, 02:03 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
quote:

(j/k)

Grin, yes, like the enchanced sword which makes any attack ignore all factors and be decided by a coin flip.

PvK
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
quote:

(j/k)

Grin, yes, like the enchanced sword which makes any attack ignore all factors and be decided by a coin flip.

PvK

If we are talking about this..Illwinter should add various weapons and armors from different materials. Combining it with this system would be awesome.
The game will be lot more tactical than -> lot better gameplay.