.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Vote on the following items
Hammers should be removed 26 39.39%
Hammers shouldn't be removed 37 56.06%
Dousing Rods should be removed 29 43.94%
Dousing Rods shouldn't be removed 31 46.97%
Gem Gens should be removed 50 75.76%
Gem Gens shouldn't be removed 14 21.21%
Bonus 30%+ Sites should be removed 28 42.42%
Bonus 30%+ Sites shouldn' be removed 33 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept View Post

The Forge of the Ancients will lose the discount effect
Unfortunately this is not possible without removing all FotA effects. Tweaking ritual effects (unless they summon something) isn't supported with modding.

Dropping hand slots on werewolves is an interesting idea, though it is unfortunate it would nerf non-giant werewolves which are already a bit borderline for thugging.
Oh right? Well I won't miss Forge of the Ancients if I have to remove it altogether. It's a broken bit of op cheese.

As for the werewolves, I plan to swap the "claw" to "claws", so they get 2 claw attacks and a bite without weapons.
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaz View Post
Imagine a battle between 2 armies with SCs and heavy mage support where one side has access to earth (Army of *, Weapons of Sharpness) and another only to water. The outcome is obvious.
Not to be pendantic, but Niefel Flames are gonna take a big old dump on your "army of" guys, and quickening can be more effective than weapons of sharpness in plenty of situations. I find a lot of the time people think things are underpowered are because they're just not playing to their strengths...
I think it is a combination of that, as well as group think. Group think is a terrible thing. I cannot tell you how many games have been ruined by group think, because people don't want to get out of the preconceived notions about a nation. Heck, look at Kailasa, BL, Patala. There have been a fair number of wins among those nations, but all you hear is the complaints about monkey PD (not trying to dredge that up again). If they were so bad, how are those nations getting the wins (K has 4, BL and Pat have 2 each)?
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

no one ever moans about monkey's because of their pd. its just a meme on these forums because of a very famous thread a long time ago. look up Lord Bob's monkey pd thread
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I think it is a combination of that, as well as group think. Group think is a terrible thing. I cannot tell you how many games have been ruined by group think, because people don't want to get out of the preconceived notions about a nation. Heck, look at Kailasa, BL, Patala. There have been a fair number of wins among those nations, but all you hear is the complaints about monkey PD (not trying to dredge that up again). If they were so bad, how are those nations getting the wins (K has 4, BL and Pat have 2 each)?
Frankly, the hall of fame (and the results of multiplayer games in general) isn't the place to go to get an idea of whether or not a nation is balanced/powerful/objectively competitive, simply because of the very small sample size coupled with the fact that MP games are more often than not decided by map geography, random luck on sites and most importantly diplomacy and who fights whom when.

In the case of the monkeys for example, on paper they look like they have a great endgame (monkey PD or not) tacked on a really tough start. So if they get rushed, they lose hard - which is the time frame their dreck of a PD really hurts, too. When even the 25PD on your cap can be taken out effortlessly by 40 tribe archers... yeah.
But OTOH if their neighbours have other fishes to fry during those first few years, the monkeys probably have a decent shot at the win.

In the same vein, while everyone quite rightfully agrees Ashdod is overpowered as all getout I'd wager they'll very rarely if ever win one of the rare games in which they're not outright banned, simply because they'll immediately get ganked by a coalition of all of their neighbours LA Ermor style. Whereas an underdog nation in the very same game might unexpectedly thrive... because everyone else is busy ganging on Ashdod and leaving them alone.

(Yes, I know my sentences are overly long and convoluted )