.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old July 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Misadventures of the Missed Adventurers

ooc:[there brothers? the plot thickens.]

Narp "so, we're stuck between the telepath checking the wizard, the wizard checking us and thus the telepath finding out and..."

Narp mutters a bit, then "if we take our leave of the baron, head west, let the wizard check up on us, then at night, because the telepath has to sleep sometime, jack, can you teleport us all a short distance only make it look like we left the general area? then we sneak back in using any subtle cloaking spells you guys know and look for the telepath. hopefully, we find him before he finds us."

D nods, Jack nods, then everyone but Jack goes to sleep.

on the fort's wall, a soldier looks up as he hears what sounds like a roaring breeze, but there is nothing there and the sound is gone. looking troubled, he continues his patrol.

ooc:[unless Jack thinks of something to say. short explanation: if Narp is deep in scholar or fighter mode, anything that might divert his attention tends to get ignored, which is why he has yet to babble. the muttering does take some of the place of that, though. like the library the baron probably has, or anything less than impending destruction.]

[ July 04, 2003, 06:53: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by narf poit chez BOOM:
ooc:[i think you might have gotten in the way of krsqk's next post.]
ooc:[Oh, I'll shorten it then; perhaps have Jack mutter a bit at night while producing the amulets.]

As everyone is sleeping, Jack mutters quietly to himself while making the talismans.

Jack (under breath, still buisily enchanting away) "Let's see, what kind of thoughts would Narp have? He is a very deep thinker. That's hard to convincingly emulate. Hmm, I suppose I will just have to limit it to bodygaurd thoughts. As long as he hasn't been peeked at while thinking as a scholar, it should be OK.... let's see ... lots of sensory details and threat assesments...."

An hour later, Jack finishes Narp's talisman, and begins work on D's.

Jack (under breath, still buisily enchanting away) "As for D, his is the hardest. Ah, I know - I'll have him quitly considering A Verbose Tereatesies on Thermodynamics. I can just copy my own memory of it into the amulet; that will give it thirty years of speech-speed thought without repeating. I'll also need build a consideration routine, but I can do that; it should also boost it up to a century without repetition...."

Three hours later, Jack finishes D's talisman, and starts on his own.

Jack (under breath, still buisily enchanting away) "As for mine, I know me quite well. This one is easy; I'll just have me worrying some trivial detail of a harmless spell ... ah, my favorite: how can I add flavor to those apprentice rations...."

ooc:[Better?]

[ July 04, 2003, 11:02: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc:[i think you might have gotten in the way of krsqk's next post. much.]

[ July 05, 2003, 01:20: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old July 5th, 2003, 02:12 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

The wizard turns and sneers at Arthur.

Master Wizard "Well, well, if it isn't my little brother who tries to play magician. What a pleasant surprise. I'd have thought you'd be trying to reassemble that little hovel you called a house."

Arthur "John, you know why I'm here. You have my ring, and I want it."

Master Wizard "And so do I. What's more, I happen to have it right now, and that counts for more than your claim to it. In fact--"

The master wizard suddenly stops short. His face seems to change for a moment, and he draws in a sharp breath. He quickly regains his composure and continues.

Master Wizard "Now, what was I saying? Oh, yes, about your ring. Well, it's just too bad..."

The conversation continues, but Arthur isn't paying much attention to his brother.

Arthur (to self) "That's odd. The response from under those hills changed to two exactly as John lost control then. Now it's back to one again. I'm going to have to check that out sooner rather than later, it seems."

[ooc: I would guess that our friend the telepath has been occupied elsewhere (his wife had some chores for him? ), and rather than slowly catch up on the wizard's actions, he opted for a broadband download which required a brief but complete takeover of the wizard's mind, despite the risk that this would be noticed. This would seem to indicate that he prefers the shortest/easiest effective path rather than the stealthiest one, much like Arthur (why else would Arthur travel in a noisy tornado instead of something a little less noticeable?)]

[ July 05, 2003, 01:12: Message edited by: Krsqk ]

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old July 5th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc:[krsqk, we still don't have anything new to post. the balls in your court until we have something to do.]
Old July 5th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

[ooc: I thought Jack had come up with something to do, before he changed his Last post. I didn't actually get to see it, though. Did you want to end up in the wizard's tower, or were you going to head off elsewhere? Arthur and his brother were basically just going to bicker until either you showed up to interrupt them or headed off in another direction (toward the telepath or the bandits or wherever).]

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old July 5th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Major General

ooc:[Well, you stopped the post in the middle of an active conversation while Narp and Jack were committed to actions which would Last until morning. Narf and I were waiting for that conversation to be concluded before moving on, so that the time would align properly. However, if you are waiting for an interruption, I can manage that....]

Just after Jack puts the finishing touches on the Last talisman, he hears what sounds like bickering.

Jack (quietly to himself) "That's curious. Well, I'm done here, so I suppose I'll go investigate. However, I can't leave Narp and D ungaurded...."

Jack quietly puts several teleport traps up around the room. Anyone entering through the door, the window, the walls, the ceiling, the floor, or via teleportation will find themselves just outside the manor's main gate. As Jack designed them to prevent intrusion, they are all disabled by a loud knock at the door.

Satisfied, Jack flies out the window (the traps only affect those entering, so nothing happens), closes the window behind him, and flies around the manor to the room the bickering is coming from. At which point, he knocks on the window.

ooc:[Oops - he forgot to leave a note. Anyone coming back after a midnight trip to take care of something could have problems....]

[ July 07, 2003, 04:15: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]
Old July 5th, 2003, 11:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc:[Narp will awake if there's any sounds of a fight. new proposal:no evil or good races, no supeirer or inferior races. in other words, no 'standard' elves or orcs, etc.]

[ July 07, 2003, 16:26: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old July 7th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The bickering over the ring continues for hours. After logic, threats, begging, and persuasion (all steadily increasing in volume) fail, Arthur is about to resort to fisticuffs to retrieve the property in question. Before he can do so, the quarrel is interrupted by a knock on the window.

Arthur "Were you expecting anyone tonight..er, this morning?"

Master Wizard "No, but they can't get in, anyway; that window is covered in traps. Quit stalling, and let's see you if you can fight half as well as you can talk."

Arthur glances toward the window. Recognizing Jack, he decides to continue stalling for a bit.

Arthur "Say, isn't that one of the Baron's guests? I don't think he looks too comfortable perched on that ledge; maybe you should let him in. And isn't he dismantling your traps?"

Master Wizard (muttergrumblearggh) "It's that bLasted apprentice again. I'll just have to do this the old fashioned way." He strides toward the window, casting invisible and conceal enchantment on himself before working up a large fireball.

[ooc: I apologize again for the delay. RL has been crazier than I ever could have imagined lately. Provided I can get the washing machine fixed tonight, though, I should be back in business (fingers crossed )]

[ July 07, 2003, 22:15: Message edited by: Krsqk ]

Old July 7th, 2003, 11:30 PM

Major General

After dismantling the traps for a while, Jack changes his mind.

Jack "Ah, I suppose I really just want to get in - I can do without disabling the traps. These are fairly standard ones anyway; there's not much I'll learn by taking them apart. Besides, they might actually serve a useful purpose."

With that, Jack teleports a large section of the wall up onto the roof of the manor (window, traps, and all) using some levitation to keep everything from collapsing. Unfortunately, the Wizard of Lago, having wandered too close to the window, goes with....

Jack "Hey Arthur, how are you doing? By the way, where'd the Wizard go? You seemed to be having a bit of an argument with him. Something about a ring?"

[ July 08, 2003, 06:11: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]