.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Corporal

Corvus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nub Bash 2010 - Late Age - Started

Inquisitors man. Plus my prophet, god, and capital are sitting right next to it. And my prophet is sitting on it when he's not next to it.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I thought the reverse was true--that it would be ridiculous to fight AIs when there were humans to fight. If I wanted to fight AI's I'd play SP.

Additionally, even accepting the premise that "AI Players should be conquered first", the fact that in order to fight against AI players, Ulm would have to go through me conflicts with the notion.
True, this was not intended to be a vs. AI game and most victory conditions only apply to human players. But basically the point I was making is merely theoretical (if the game continued, the human player would probably be able eliminate all competition eventually, hopefully):

I mean if by attrition, concession, or elimination, a human player is the last player standing, but at the same time there is an AI nation still standing that is way ahead of that nation in the score graphs, has double the amount of provinces, an army 8 times larger, whatever, etc, can we really say that player has won in the sense of dominating the game and in eliminating all opponents at a given point in time?

Speaking of the AI, what are you and Jomon doing up there? It looks to me like Jomon is taking several of your forts. Are you trying to use Jomon to protect your eastern flank?

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; August 20th, 2010 at 05:58 AM..
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I thought the reverse was true--that it would be ridiculous to fight AIs when there were humans to fight. If I wanted to fight AI's I'd play SP.

Additionally, even accepting the premise that "AI Players should be conquered first", the fact that in order to fight against AI players, Ulm would have to go through me conflicts with the notion.
True, this was not intended to be a vs. AI game and most victory conditions only apply to human players. But basically the point I was making is merely theoretical (if the game continued, the human player would probably be able eliminate all competition eventually, hopefully):

I mean if by attrition, concession, or elimination, a human player is the last player standing, but at the same time there is an AI nation still standing that is way ahead of that nation in the score graphs, has double the amount of provinces, an army 8 times larger, whatever, etc, can we really say that player has won in the sense of dominating the game and in eliminating all opponents at a given point in time?

Speaking of the AI, what are you and Jomon doing up there? It looks to me like Jomon is taking several of your forts. Are you trying to use Jomon to protect your eastern flank?
Jomon is annoying. They haven't taken "several" of anything--only Abitopolis which they (or their predecessor, Marignon) have been attacking since turn 15. I have been ignoring them and playing defensively. It's annoying to try to attack large AI players because it requires both large armies and micromanagement thereof since when you attack a stronghold, you need to spread like well... I guess the best depiction would be "ringworm" despite that being disgusting--you have to put armies along the "ring" in order to keep them from recapturing and being annoying. Up until a few turns ago they hadn't sent anything that could get through my slightly augmented PD. They don't really have anything left though. Abitopolis isn't under my dominion (it's under yours at the moment), so I was reluctant to send vampires in, but knowing the AI, they don't sit in one castle, they keep advancing, so it was inevitable that they would move on Baron's Road which is under my dominion and as soon as they sieged the castle, I sent my vampires in to destroy them. Now their thug hero is dead and I can ponder what to do about Abitopolis again.

I didn't know that Ulm had Inquisitor priests. Those Black Priests always seem to be getting nicer. (I'm an Ulm fan btw... every age except middle, but I haven't really played extensively with LA).
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Corporal

Hmm battle in yamba wha- so THATS why you wanted all those pearls. I didn't think Bogarus got Seraph-... you wished didn't you. And he intercepted one of my vampire lord sabbath slaves, that ain't good.
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

If you noticed, he had a little problem with fatigue due to the "Boots of Quickness", so I had to do a couple modifications....

Revealing a Sabbath magic strategy is interesting. Why would you tell me such a thing before you actually go to use it?

Marignon and Pythium get to summon the Seraph, but the spell is considerably more expensive than a Wish and comes with a bunch of other angels to go with the Seraph--it's an excellent summon spell. I, however, have to use the lesser "Wish" version. I was quite impressed with the test run--I've never actually played a game long enough to summon and play with such a beastly thing.

Last edited by Verjigorm; August 20th, 2010 at 04:23 PM..
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM

Corporal

Well that was bold. I swear if you turn this into a game of guess where Seraphs gonna be next I will start raiding the hell out of you.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
Well that was bold. I swear if you turn this into a game of guess where Seraphs gonna be next I will start raiding the hell out of you.
lol, if you want to do something, why not just do it? I couldn't possibly believe you've been "holding back" on raiding out of some type of invisible gentleman's agreement you made with yourself?

Considering that you already attempted raids with Horde from Hell, what would be the difference in using a different troop type?

In fact, send Vampires. Lots of them! As many as you want.

This is, btw, the absolute longest game of Dominions (2 or 3) that I have ever participated in.
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Corporal

I actually just used the hordes from hell mostly to scout because you wouldn't let a SINGLE FREAKING SCOUT IN. Got too expensive though. Plus its demonic troops if you win. I dislike raiding unless its my main strategy going in, or a nation is focused on it, like say Helheim. I tend to think if something annoys me, it probably annoys other people, so I try not to do it too much. And while vampires are decent raiders, my going in strategy was a Massive Vampire Omega Defense and a small expansionist army composed of Black Priests and summoned demonic forces. My starting situation put a cramp on that though. Plus I was utterly new to this game when I starte- god, this game has been going on a long time hasn't it.

and no I will not be sending any vampires because that seraph and your tone scares me too much. I will not sacrifice any of my adorable non-sparkling vampires.
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Corporal

Well it seems this game has been going on long enough anyone with death scales is starting to see all their pop dying.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

117 turns at Death-3 (which is what I think Atlantis has) or 3% death per turn leaves just a hair under 3% (2.8333%) of the original population of a state that had Death-3 on turn 1 and kept it the entire time unless the death rate is lower than 1% per tick... I don't know b/c I don't usually play with death scales on any nation except Ermor and their death rate is much much higher.