.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game\'s Going!

I will upload my new pretender tonight
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oversway said:
I will upload my new pretender tonight
Wait a bit longer Alynan just discovered Typos in Zen's Itemmod might be likely that there will be a new version in 1-2 days with the Typos/Bugs fixed.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

On the subject of blood hunting. I certainly understand both sides of that argument. So, I will mention my own experience on the subject.

I am playing a Faerun game using Soapy's mods, which (among other things) made the growth scale 0.5% per point. Taking growth 3 was like playing on a rich world, probably even more so after Turn 50 or so. I am playing Atlantis.

Now, Atlantis is not a good blood hunting nation because the King of the Deeps cost a lot of gold, can only be built in the water, and only 1/8 are blood 2 random. Combined with the fact that you cannot blood hunt in water, Atlantis is clearly one of the lesser blood nations. Only R'lyeh and those themes that cannot get a blood random mage are worse at blood hunting than Atlantis.

However, beacuse of the extreme growth scale in that map, I have unlimited gold income on Turn 125. I noticed earlier this week that I went past 20,000 gold per turn. Totally insane. I am building and losing shamblers (30 gold each!) by the thousands just to spend my gold. They are starving all over the place and I don't even care. I even put 90 PD in several key provinces just to hold them for a few turns!

So, what about the blood?

Well, I am blood hunting like crazy! My blood income is rising far faster than my gem income. I am blood hunting in provinces with 10K population and 80 gold income because I simply don't care about gold anymore. I am even using only 2 blood hunters per province at zero tax rate just to minimize the micro-management. In the past few turns, I have sent probably 600 blood slaves to my Man ally who is getting overrun by the lizard juggernaut.

And C'tis (a much better blood hunting nation than Atlantis) has far more blood income than do I on this very rich Faerun world. Of course, C'tis has more provinces (maybe 220 to my 130) so this is also part of the equation.

So, by my own behavior in this one game, I would have to say that a rich world does not hurt blood hunting at all.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Panther said:
Now, Atlantis is not a good blood hunting nation because the King of the Deeps cost a lot of gold, can only be built in the water, and only 1/8 are blood 2 random. Combined with the fact that you cannot blood hunt in water, Atlantis is clearly one of the lesser blood nations. Only R'lyeh and those themes that cannot get a blood random mage are worse at blood hunting than Atlantis.

Ryleh is a better Bloodhunter as Atlantis because the Starspawns have 2 randoms so you get about 1/4 with blood 1 random.
So Ryleh gets more bloodhunters than Atlantis and the Cost for a Starspawn and a Seaking is about the same.
With a SDR a blood 1 Starspawn is almost as good as your blood 2 Seaking for bloodhunting.

And you will also have a lot of spectres with blood random and once the blood flows you can summon a few fallen angels or similiar for further speeding up the bloodhunting.

I wonder if you get some kind of Overflow in your game soon.
There should be a maximum population per province and that might turn into a gamecrashing error in your game soon.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Don't worry about maximum population, the limit is *high*. Very high. The theorical number would be 650,000 inhabitants or so, but I haven't tested the exact value.

If you go above the limit, you will go into negative numbers instead, so the game won't crash due to that: in a silly test game, I had about -32,000 blood slaves, after having put too many mages on monthly Wish for Blood Slaves. I am not sure where the limit is here too, but again, 65000 is the usual suspect.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Sergeant

Catquiet is on a distinguished road

Sorry to cause trouble but I have an objection to zen's item mod. Clams now require 2 water 2 astral to make. This will pretty much stop Ermor from doing any hoarding while other nations (mainly Rlyeh and Atlantis) can still hoard very effectively. I don't enjoy hoarding much but if it is in the game, I need have the same access to clams as other nations. Ermor lives and dies by gem production.

There are three basic solutions that I can see.

Ban all gem producing items
Or don't use zen's item mod
Or let me switch over to Ryleh where I can hoard to my heart's content.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't enjoy hoarding much but if it is in the game, I need have the same access to clams as other nations.
You mean you need to have the same access to clams as Atlantis and Rlyeh, yeah?

Should we also give all nations should have an unkeep free recruitable undead to put fever fetish's on?

Edit: well I don't really want to start another argument. As atlantis I'd like to have clams so that I can get a better than 2 for 1 conversion from all the water gems I'll have, but I'll just let everyone else decide what is fair, and deal with that.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM

Sergeant

Catquiet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oversway said:
Should we also give all nations should have an unkeep free recruitable undead to put fever fetish's on?
The upkeep of those "upkeep free" undead is 100% of the gold Ermor would have gotten from having a population to tax.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

I have to voice my disapproval of the Item mod, too. I vote we don't use it. The changes to lifedrain weapons are totally rediculous, imo, and I don't like the hoard item changes either, although in such a large game as we're playing it may be a decent idea.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
CUnknown said:
The changes to lifedrain weapons are totally rediculous, imo
if by ridiculous you mean awesome then I totally agree. They are now for use on heros with exceptional strength. Perfect. Thematic.